Met "Ice" Brady Tonight. Saw Her Score 41pts, Including the 1000th of Her Career. Oh, and EricLA and GoldenHusky Were There, Too. | The Boneyard

Met "Ice" Brady Tonight. Saw Her Score 41pts, Including the 1000th of Her Career. Oh, and EricLA and GoldenHusky Were There, Too.

Reaction Score
Ice looked great. She makes layups with either hand (making layups in a rare skill at UConn these days!). She stays vertical when she blocks shots. She scored 41 in what was a playoff game (though the other team was definitely overmatched). She was 3 for 7 from beyond the arc, had more than 20 rebounds and 4 or 5 blocks. She handles the ball pretty well, too. Hard to believe she is only a sophomore. Met her grandma and her dad, and they said she is still growing! She's 6'3" now... hope she gets to 6'5 or more.
She is also a super nice young lady who is thrilled to be going to UConn. She was excited to see that UConn fans had come to see her play. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long to see her in blue and white!
Got to meet EricaLa and GoldenHusky, too. Great evening!
I'm on the right in the pic... EricLA on the left. Golden Husky had to leave...

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ice looked great. She makes layups with either hand (making layups in a rare skill at UConn these days!). She stays vertical when she blocks shots. She scored 41 in what was a playoff game (though the other team was definitely overmatched). She was 3 for 7 from beyond the arc, had about 20 rebounds and 4 or 5 blocks. She handles the ball pretty well, too. Hard to believe she is only a sophomore. Met her grandma and her dad, and they said she is still growing! She's 6'3" now... hope she gets to 6'5 or more.
She is also a super nice young lady who is thrilled to be going to UConn. She was excited to see that UConn fans had come to see her play. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long to see her in blue and white!
WOW .. good work guys! .. she seems to be a keeper, off the charts potential, eh?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
41 points and 27 rebounds according to the SD Union-Tribune.

Brady finished with career-highs of 41 points and 27 rebounds. The 41 points pushed the 6-4 sophomore over 1,000 points in just two years.

“I didn’t know I’d scored 41 points. Credit my teammates for getting me the ball,” said Brady.

“I had 27 rebounds — woo hoo. That’s amazing. The only thing better would be if I also had double figures for assists.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She must be listed as 6'4" but we got it from her that's she's 6'3" right now.... she's also got some bulk and strength, which is nice.

Nice report and nice pic with Ice. Way to represent. Thank you. 41/27 is insane. We can only imagine (and hope) how skilled and poised she’ll be in 2 more years. Right now she has no idea how many “thousands“ of new fans she has, most of whom she’ll never see or meet. :)

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So a warning in advance - this is going to be a LONG post. FWIW - the experience of seeing he play, the environment, etc - all to be covered. Had a chance to meet @Golden Husky and @CTtoSanDiego as well which was a bonus!

2 hour drive from LA to Del Mar for her game. Cathedral Catholic High school. Made nice to the athletic director and was told the school was built in 2005 and is pretty much state of the art. They allow kids of any denomination in, but they have to attend mass twice a month.

The gym is quite nice. At least as nice as some of the lesser "gyms" that some college teams play at. Oh, and there were 20 cheerleaders there (yes 20). On to Ms. Brady...

WOW. That's all I can say (kidding). I will try not to say it too many times in this post, but the kid is ONLY finishing up her sophomore year. She has MAD skills. Not only was she far and away the best player on the floor, she was the best by a very wide margin. Cathedral Catholic was playing Bishop. In their league, CC was the #3 seed and Bishop the #6 seed. They play in a tough conference.

The head coach is young. Early 30's. Jackie Turpin. As nice as the day is long, and just as intense when coaching the kids. Both she and the assistant coach, Sophia, were so nice and accommodating in chatting and answering questions...

Warmups - pretty typical for a high school team. Somewhat organized - a little stretching, then some basic drills. Layups, jump shots, passing, etc. Right away you notice Ice - the tallest player. Easily 6'3" - but not quite 6'4". Per her dad, she's still growing. Met her dad and grandmother - she described him as a "hippie dude with a beard". Grandma couldn't have been nicer and is very proud not only of her granddaughter's hoops skills, but her personality and demeanor as well. It's easy to see why Ice is such a sweet kid with how she was raised.

Right off the bat, you notice that at 6'3", she looks like she has the body of a college upper classman. Tall, big but not fat, sturdy and strong, but not flabby or soft. She's simply in good shape. Played almost the entire game. Never once hanging on her shorts or dogging it, but there were a few times late in the 2nd half where she didn't sprint up the floor on defense and sort of stopped at half court. NOT a big deal as she was mostly hustle and effort the rest of the game.

Did I say mad skills? 41 points, 27 rebounds, probably about 5-6 assists and the same number of blocks. Layups with BOTH hands in traffic. Finishes layups even when getting bumped or mauled. The opposing team had a slightly taller but thinner center who tried her best, but just was not as good as Ice (I saw her after the game and complimented her on how hard she worked and how well she played). She is athletic and has ups for a 6'3" kid, not like Aubrey, but she's no slouch.

On defense, the coach had them playing equal parts zone and man. She is a SMART player. Very high basketball IQ. Several examples:

• She literally committed 0 fouls the entire game (maybe one late - hard to recall). Not once did she plow into a defender hoping for a foul call. Not afraid of contact, but also smart enough to instantly decide she had no lane to the hoop and passed the ball off to a teammate.
  • She is capable of getting off her feet and blocking shots, but but instead of the tomahawk chop, she either goes up and flicks her wrist, or stays put with her arms straight up. The thing that made her so smart IMHO is that against anyone shorter, she bodied up to them with her arms straight up, knowing they could not shoot over her. Against the taller center, she would get off her feet and use her wrist to flick the ball away.
  • On several occasions, she brought the ball up the court, even against the press. But the second she saw double teams coming, immediately got rid of the ball. Several of the turnovers were more the result of her teammates not being able to handle the crisp passes, but she won't have that problem at UCONN.
  • She does NOT take dumb shots. Several times she was open for a second beyond the arc, started to take a shot, but got closed out on, and instead of just jacking it up, instantly found an open teammate
    • One play she had the brought the ball up the court, was moving to her right around the top of the key, saw a double team coming, and with her OFF hand (right hand), zipped a pass to the teammate in the far left corner for a wide open shot. Teammate missed the 3, but the pass was spot on.
Had 23 points and 7 rebounds at half time. She exploded on the boards in the 2nd half. I knew she had at least 20 but did not realize it was 27 until I read it. She was given a plaque for her 1,000th point after the game. Pictures below.

Got to chat with her after the game. Asked her a few questions...

• Who are your favorite players?
    • Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck
  • What did Geno say when you told him you were committing to UCONN?
    • He was excited and said "that's great - I'm very excited". I was surprised and asked her "you mean no sarcasm from him?" She laughed and said no.
  • What do you think the biggest adjustment will be to playing college hoops?
    • The size and strength of other players and the pace of the game
Didn't want to keep her too long - her dad had already left and her grandmother was leaving too. I had a chance to ask grandma a few questions:

• Did she always want to play basketball?
    • Her dad was a very good basketball player and at 6'5", played in college. He introduced Ice to the game as a youngster hoping she'd like the sport, but you never know with kids. Ice loved it and has been committed ever since
  • What other colleges did she consider besides UCONN?
    • Really none that I can think of. She had offers from everyone - all the west coast teams (Berkeley, UCLA, USC, SDSU, etc), Duke, ND, etc. BUT... it was always UCONN. She dreamed of playing for them since she was a young girl
Also spoke with coach Jackie. Congratulated her on the win, and told her how impressed I was with the team - not only that they played well, but also that they were good teammates. Ice especially went over and helped teammates up, patted them on the back after nice plays, etc. She not only thanked me for saying that, but said she would tell that to the team because she feels it's really important and wanted them to know that fans notice ALL that kind of good stuff.

I will definitely check out more games when I can. I still can't believe how good she is as a sophomore. Such a complete player - I simply cannot imagine how good she will be as she goes thru 4 years of college at UCONN. We are SO lucky!!

Last thing - we all know Geno recruits high character kids. She's ONLY a sophomore - is composed, well spoken, thoughtful, funny, charming, and sweet. She will be a fan favorite from day 1 and will be incredibly eloquent and well spoken when interviewed. She's a special kid! We got a gem for sure!!

Welcome to UCONN ICE!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Everything in these posts have been great - thanks!

Putting on my moderator hat; Everyone that goes to see future Huskies play needs to remember that the young women are technically still recruits. The NCAA doesn’t recognize oral commitments so all UConn coaches and fans are still restricted by all regulations regarding contact with recruits. Please be aware that you can hurt our Huskies if you violate any of the NCAA rules, even inadvertently. Please see the link below.

Reaction Score
Very nice report folks. I personally did not know that this young lady had committed to UConn. When will she attend: in two years? Could someone break down who will be attending next year and the subsequent years.

Damm! I wish that I knew that I will be around then to watch these folks play together and win National Championships. LOL.

Based upon what limited that I know, it seems that competition to be within the top 8 players will be strong. I have often thought that putting in 3 fresh players would be a bonus for UConn or specific players who match with the opposition better.

Reaction Score
So a warning in advance - this is going to be a LONG post. FWIW - the experience of seeing he play, the environment, etc - all to be covered. Had a chance to meet @Golden Husky and @CTtoSanDiego as well which was a bonus!

2 hour drive from LA to Del Mar for her game. Cathedral Catholic High school. Made nice to the athletic director and was told the school was built in 2005 and is pretty much state of the art. They allow kids of any denomination in, but they have to attend mass twice a month.

The gym is quite nice. At least as nice as some of the lesser "gyms" that some college teams play at. Oh, and there were 20 cheerleaders there (yes 20). On to Ms. Brady...

WOW. That's all I can say (kidding). I will try not to say it too many times in this post, but the kid is ONLY finishing up her sophomore year. She has MAD skills. Not only was she far and away the best player on the floor, she was the best by a very wide margin. Cathedral Catholic was playing Bishop. In their league, CC was the #3 seed and Bishop the #6 seed. They play in a tough conference.

The head coach is young. Early 30's. Jackie Turpin. As nice as the day is long, and just as intense when coaching the kids. Both she and the assistant coach, Sophia, were so nice and accommodating in chatting and answering questions...

Warmups - pretty typical for a high school team. Somewhat organized - a little stretching, then some basic drills. Layups, jump shots, passing, etc. Right away you notice Ice - the tallest player. Easily 6'3" - but not quite 6'4". Per her dad, she's still growing. Met her dad and grandmother - she described him as a "hippie dude with a beard". Grandma couldn't have been nicer and is very proud not only of her granddaughter's hoops skills, but her personality and demeanor as well. It's easy to see why Ice is such a sweet kid with how she was raised.

Right off the bat, you notice that at 6'3", she looks like she has the body of a college upper classman. Tall, big but not fat, sturdy and strong, but not flabby or soft. She's simply in good shape. Played almost the entire game. Never once hanging on her shorts or dogging it, but there were a few times late in the 2nd half where she didn't sprint up the floor on defense and sort of stopped at half court. NOT a big deal as she was mostly hustle and effort the rest of the game.

Did I say mad skills? 41 points, 27 rebounds, probably about 5-6 assists and the same number of blocks. Layups with BOTH hands in traffic. Finishes layups even when getting bumped or mauled. The opposing team had a slightly taller but thinner center who tried her best, but just was not as good as Ice (I saw her after the game and complimented her on how hard she worked and how well she played). She is athletic and has ups for a 6'3" kid, not like Aubrey, but she's no slouch.

On defense, the coach had them playing equal parts zone and man. She is a SMART player. Very high basketball IQ. Several examples:

• She literally committed 0 fouls the entire game (maybe one late - hard to recall). Not once did she plow into a defender hoping for a foul call. Not afraid of contact, but also smart enough to instantly decide she had no lane to the hoop and passed the ball off to a teammate.
  • She is capable of getting off her feet and blocking shots, but but instead of the tomahawk chop, she either goes up and flicks her wrist, or stays put with her arms straight up. The thing that made her so smart IMHO is that against anyone shorter, she bodied up to them with her arms straight up, knowing they could not shoot over her. Against the taller center, she would get off her feet and use her wrist to flick the ball away.
  • On several occasions, she brought the ball up the court, even against the press. But the second she saw double teams coming, immediately got rid of the ball. Several of the turnovers were more the result of her teammates not being able to handle the crisp passes, but she won't have that problem at UCONN.
  • She does NOT take dumb shots. Several times she was open for a second beyond the arc, started to take a shot, but got closed out on, and instead of just jacking it up, instantly found an open teammate
    • One play she had the brought the ball up the court, was moving to her right around the top of the key, saw a double team coming, and with her OFF hand (right hand), zipped a pass to the teammate in the far left corner for a wide open shot. Teammate missed the 3, but the pass was spot on.
Had 23 points and 7 rebounds at half time. She exploded on the boards in the 2nd half. I knew she had at least 20 but did not realize it was 27 until I read it. She was given a plaque for her 1,000th point after the game. Pictures below.

Got to chat with her after the game. Asked her a few questions...

• Who are your favorite players?
    • Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck
  • What did Geno say when you told him you were committing to UCONN?
    • He was excited and said "that's great - I'm very excited". I was surprised and asked her "you mean no sarcasm from him?" She laughed and said no.
  • What do you think the biggest adjustment will be to playing college hoops?
    • The size and strength of other players and the pace of the game
Didn't want to keep her too long - her dad had already left and her grandmother was leaving too. I had a chance to ask grandma a few questions:

• Did she always want to play basketball?
    • Her dad was a very good basketball player and at 6'5", played in college. He introduced Ice to the game as a youngster hoping she'd like the sport, but you never know with kids. Ice loved it and has been committed ever since
  • What other colleges did she consider besides UCONN?
    • Really none that I can think of. She had offers from everyone - all the west coast teams (Berkeley, UCLA, USC, SDSU, etc), Duke, ND, etc. BUT... it was always UCONN. She dreamed of playing for them since she was a young girl
Also spoke with coach Jackie. Congratulated her on the win, and told her how impressed I was with the team - not only that they played well, but also that they were good teammates. Ice especially went over and helped teammates up, patted them on the back after nice plays, etc. She not only thanked me for saying that, but said she would tell that to the team because she feels it's really important and wanted them to know that fans notice ALL that kind of good stuff.

I will definitely check out more games when I can. I still can't believe how good she is as a sophomore. Such a complete player - I simply cannot imagine how good she will be as she goes thru 4 years of college at UCONN. We are SO lucky!!

Last thing - we all know Geno recruits high character kids. She's ONLY a sophomore - is composed, well spoken, thoughtful, funny, charming, and sweet. She will be a fan favorite from day 1 and will be incredibly eloquent and well spoken when interviewed. She's a special kid! We got a gem for sure!!

Welcome to UCONN ICE!!!
While I normally suggest that we all condense our posts, enjoyed reading every topic here. Thanks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very nice report folks. I personally did not know that this young lady had committed to UConn. When will she attend: in two years? Could someone break down who will be attending next year and the subsequent years.

Damm! I wish that I knew that I will be around then to watch these folks play together and win National Championships. LOL.

Based upon what limited that I know, it seems that competition to be within the top 8 players will be strong. I have often thought that putting in 3 fresh players would be a bonus for UConn or specific players who match with the opposition better.
Ice will be at Storrs for the 2022-23 Season.

Next year’s class is 6’ superstar pg Paige Bueckers from MN, Croatian pro pg, 5’10” Nika Muhl, Canadian National team F Aaliyah Edwards, super athletic MD W, 5’11” Mir McClean and an athletic Big with a great upside, 6’5” Piath Gabriel.

The Class of 2021 commits are 6’2”sharpshooting W/F Saylor Poffenbarger (17) from Middletown HS in MD and versatile 6’5” F Amari DeBerry (5) from Williamsville South HS in NY. We are all waiting for the decision of 5’11” G Azzi Fudd (1) who is good friends with Paige Bueckers.

As for being around to watch these kids, you shouldn’t worry. I have it on good authority that grumpy olddogs live forever. ;)

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ice will be at Storrs for the 2022-23 Season.

Next year’s class is 6’ superstar pg Paige Bueckers from MN, Croatian pro pg, 5’10” Nika Muhl, Canadian National team F Aaliyah Edwards, super athletic MD W, 5’11” Mir McClean and an athletic Big with a great upside, 6’5” Piath Gabriel.

The Class of 2021 commits are 6’2”sharpshooting W/F Saylor Poffenbarger (17) from Middletown HS in MD and versatile 6’5” F Amari DeBerry (5) from Williamsville South HS in NY. We are all waiting for the decision of 5’11” G Azzi Fudd (1) who is good friends with Paige Bueckers.

As for being around to watch these kids, you shouldn’t worry. I have it on good authority that grumpy olddogs live forever. ;)
I need your optimism pill. Getting to the end of this season is goal number one. Whenever my car dealer asks if I want an extended warranty, I call my doctor first.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I can add much to the expert analysis of @CTtoSanDiego or @EricLA except to point out that Ms. Brady has excellent hands. She catches everything in the post and refutes attempts to swat the ball from her following a rebound. That's not a talent but it is an asset.

My appreciation to Eric, who arranged this hardcourt rendezvous and traveled 110 miles (one-way) to get to the game, demonstrating the fervor and dedication so many Boneyard contributors have for the UConn women's basketball program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I can add much to the expert analysis of @CTtoSanDiego or @EricLA except to point out that Ms. Brady has excellent hands. She catches everything in the post and refutes attempts to swat the ball from her following a rebound. That's not a talent but it is an asset.

My appreciation to Eric, who arranged this hardcourt rendezvous and traveled 110 miles (one-way) to get to the game, demonstrating the fervor and dedication so many Boneyard contributors have for the UConn women's basketball program.
Thx! It was really great to meet you - it's far too infrequent that we get to meet other BY'ers and put a face to the online name. Their next game is Wednesday - can't get down for that, but if they win, I think the finals are on Saturday next, and that would be doable. Maybe we can get @ochoopsfan and the other @CT2SanDiego to join us and @CTtoSanDiego!

Reaction Score
Thx! It was really great to meet you - it's far too infrequent that we get to meet other BY'ers and put a face to the online name. Their next game is Wednesday - can't get down for that, but if they win, I think the finals are on Saturday next, and that would be doable. Maybe we can get @ochoopsfan and the other @CT2SanDiego to join us and @CTtoSanDiego!
I'm already planning on going to the Saturday finals if they survive on Wed. Hope more people can attend!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
That would be fun. Please keep me on your invite list.

By the way, I feel compelled to point out that although you claimed you would remind us regarding Brady, "...and she's only a sophomore" a dozen times, by my count, you only said that nine times. It reminds of the time some intrepid reporter asked Hank Stram if he really had 600 suits. "Nah," replied Stram, "I'm lucky if I have half that many."

Reaction Score
EricLA thanks so much for the post! Wow, Ice
sounds not only a Badass! Ha! but a Wonderful young lady. Can’t wait to hear more about her from you and all. Loved the pix CTtoSanDiego! Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ice looked great. She makes layups with either hand (making layups in a rare skill at UConn these days!). She stays vertical when she blocks shots. She scored 41 in what was a playoff game (though the other team was definitely overmatched). She was 3 for 7 from beyond the arc, had more than 20 rebounds and 4 or 5 blocks. She handles the ball pretty well, too. Hard to believe she is only a sophomore. Met her grandma and her dad, and they said she is still growing! She's 6'3" now... hope she gets to 6'5 or more.
Thanks so much for sharing!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I remember him saying that twice on late night shows. It (unlike us) never gets old.
I think his exact line is if his name isn’t in the obituaries, he has a cup of coffee. Still around. Another old guy who is still around is Norman Lear who went to my high school about 25 years ahead of me. I just got back from Los Angeles where I played a round of golf where my son, who was in the TV production business, told me the guy at the pro shop counter had been a writer for Lear on All in the Family and the spin off Archie Bunker’s Place. We had a nice talk. He said Lear is doing great. He’s pretty close to 100 if not there yet. He always gets the extended warranty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom