Mercury @ Sun - 9/10/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mercury @ Sun - 9/10/17

Reaction Score
Just about nobody thought they would do this well this year. That said, once Taurasi started to whine to the officials, the calls started going against the Sun. It changed the game in the Mercury's favor. Officiating plays too big a role in basketball and there is no easy fix for that. But Taurasi and Griner got star protection and nobody on the Sun got that. They have to learn to pretend to get hit like the other teams do. It's cheesy and I don't like it, but if you don't do it, you get the short end of the stick. Anyway, I love the Sun and they will learn to do what needs to be done to win games like this. They have a great coach and a great core of young players, will probably get Chiney back next year, and maybe even pick someone up in the draft. The future is really bright.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My dad and I watched both games today, and he commented on how unsportsmanlike DT is. She's arguably the Goat of WBB but for that reason I prefer Maya Moore.

We need to ban Reypl21 from this thread. :rolleyes:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The Sun lost the game at the Free Throw line; missing 9 FT's; and their three point shooting percentage. They were 4 - 6 on three point shots.

I wish!! They were actually 4-16 from 3. :(

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congrats to the Mercury. I didn't see this one coming. I thought the Sun would take of business......................especially at home. Maybe THIS stage was a little too big, and the lights a little too bright for them at this time.
They can certainly use this year's success to build on for next year.

psconn

Reaction Score
Just about nobody thought they would do this well this year. That said, once Taurasi started to whine to the officials, the calls started going against the Sun. It changed the game in the Mercury's favor. Officiating plays too big a role in basketball and there is no easy fix for that. But Taurasi and Griner got star protection and nobody on the Sun got that. They have to learn to pretend to get hit like the other teams do. It's cheesy and I don't like it, but if you don't do it, you get the short end of the stick. Anyway, I love the Sun and they will learn to do what needs to be done to win games like this. They have a great coach and a great core of young players, will probably get Chiney back next year, and maybe even pick someone up in the draft. The future is really bright.

Don't forget Leticia Romero, also.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
455340896.0.jpg

Reaction Score
Both games today emphasized the biggest problems with the one and done.

1. You can rest players in the regular season, coast into the playoffs and still have a one game shot to advance

2. Probably more importantly, one player (or two) can win you a single game, but the best team tends to win a series. Look at Washington-NY. Tolliver goes crazy and wins that game. She going to do that again? I'd take Charles in a two of three there.

psconn

Reaction Score
First, Phoenix is probably the better team right now and I'm not trying to place blame for the loss solely on the officials. Second, there were a couple crazy calls that went the Sun's way also, but there is a difference between bad officiating and "star treatment" officiating for Griner and Taurasi.

I tried to find the technical foul totals for players this season and I saw a list from SNY and one from the Washington Post that showed Taurasi with 7 this season. I thought that 7 Techs required a suspension and I don't recall a suspension taking place since she got suspended for attacking Hamby much earlier in the season. I tried to find the specific rule or any WNBA official Tech Foul list without success. Taurasi's misconduct and verbal abuse of the refs for about a full minute in the 2nd Q from about 5:00 to about 4:00 was over the top and the refs were apparently ok with it. I stipulate that this particular rant was precipitated by an uncalled foul on a Taurasi shot... irrelevant. I have seen FAR less T'd up immediately. Here's the rule:

d. A technical foul shall be assessed for unsportsmanlike tactics such as:
(1) Disrespectfully addressing an official.
(2) Physically contacting an official.
(3) Overt actions indicating resentment to a call.
(4) Use of profanity.
(5) A coach entering onto the court without permission of an official.
(6) A deliberately-thrown elbow or any attempted physical act with no contact involved.
(7) Taunting.
e. Cursing or blaspheming an official shall not be considered the only cause for imposing technical fouls. Running tirades, continuous criticism or griping may be sufficient cause to assess a technical. Excessive misconduct shall result in ejection from the game.
  • Do the technical totals reset in the post season?
  • Was she being "protected" because she is she close to a suspension?
  • Are the the officials just intimidated by her antics?
Lisa Borders (sitting courtside for this one) must consider both the rule book and the demographic at these games and make a strong statement to the supervisor of officials about this behavior. This behavior is not good for the league and it is steadily getting worse (and not just from Taurasi).

Reaction Score
It's funny that Suns fans want to blame the officiating, or "star treatment" for getting beat. How about holding onto a 17-point lead? How about making some of those 9 missed free throws, or shooting better than 25% on those 16 3-point shots? The refs didn't set picks for Mitchell, Taurasi and Curry to get open for those 3-pointers right in a row at the end of the game. To me it looked like superior ball movement got them open, and then clutch execution on the shots. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like it was the players who decided the game, not the refs.

The "star treatment" I remember Griner getting was being triple-teamed with the ball, getting grabbed and hit while the TV announcers are saying she has the right to her space and it should be a foul on the Suns. Griner holds the ball high to protect it and tries to twist out of the triple team, and the Suns players flop and act like they've been Barncastled, and the refs call an offensive foul on Griner. Then they review it for a possible flagrant, and the replays clearly show it shouldn't have even been a common offensive foul.

Reaction Score
It's funny that Suns fans want to blame the officiating, or "star treatment" for getting beat. How about holding onto a 17-point lead? How about making some of those 9 missed free throws, or shooting better than 25% on those 16 3-point shots? The refs didn't set picks for Mitchell, Taurasi and Curry to get open for those 3-pointers right in a row at the end of the game. To me it looked like superior ball movement got them open, and then clutch execution on the shots. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like it was the players who decided the game, not the refs.

The "star treatment" I remember Griner getting was being triple-teamed with the ball, getting grabbed and hit while the TV announcers are saying she has the right to her space and it should be a foul on the Suns. Griner holds the ball high to protect it and tries to twist out of the triple team, and the Suns players flop and act like they've been Barncastled, and the refs call an offensive foul on Griner. Then they review it for a possible flagrant, and the replays clearly show it shouldn't have even been a common offensive foul.

^^^^Right here. Couldn't agree more!

Reaction Score
First of all it's Sun. Not Suns. Clearly you aren't a fan of the team, or you would know that.

j66, I was sitting right there on press row. Griner and Taurasi got the star treatment, don't kid yourself. However, they were still the two best players on the court. In a one game series, that happens, they win. But to say Sun fans don't have a right to be frustrated with some of the calls is not fair and correct either.

In fact I tweeted this in the second quarter of the game:

"And the refs, who were doing such a nice job letting them play, have decided to get involved. CT with 5 team fouls, Phoenix, um, one"

When JJ has to skip a possession because Dee elbowed her in the gut and doubled her over that's just wrong. I also saw no offensive fouls on BG that weren't earned. She does throw her elbows around, and she is aggressive...like any good post SHOULD be. The fact she isn't in foul trouble more speaks volumes though. Sometimes you get called, sometimes you don't. I was curious so I looked it up. Since July 1st, BG had ONE game that she had five fouls. At 6'9, and banging in the paint on both ends. Hmmm....

The Mercury made the big plays, led by veterans with experience, while the young Sun players did not make the same. That's what happens sometimes. It was Phoenix's day.

I never read anyone say the refs stole the game or the Mercury didn't win the game. In fact, psconn's post starts with a statement saying the Mercury were the better team and he didn't blame the refs.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great win for the Mercury. Coming back from 17 points down. I love Dee's game. Not a fan of her "extra curriculars". Still, she is the GOAT - and a lightning rod for those who either love or hate her. Not a lot of in-between with fans' opinions of her.

To me the Sun were the surprise team of the season. Their future is bright.

Last point - I get the 1 game winner takes all for the first round, but after that it should be best 2-3 for the next 2 rounds and the best 3-5 for the finals. Personally I'd prefer to see best 3-5 and then best 4-7 for the finals, but either way, the 1 game winner take all format - I'm not a fan at all.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Both games today emphasized the biggest problems with the one and done.

2. Probably more importantly, one player (or two) can win you a single game, but the best team tends to win a series. Look at Washington-NY. Tolliver goes crazy and wins that game. She going to do that again? I'd take Charles in a two of three there.

Yes Tolliver went crazy... But Messemen had a awful game. I'd take Washington in a 2 out of 3 series. They are healthier and more complete now than they were during the season. More talented roster as well.

Reaction Score
Yes Tolliver went crazy... But Messemen had a awful game. I'd take Washington in a 2 out of 3 series. They are healthier and more complete now than they were during the season. More talented roster as well.

Just wish we could see what would happen....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just wish we could see what would happen....

Look forward to the Mystics-Suns match ups next season. They should be the two best teams in the east. Hopefully Hill and Chiney O will be back healthy.

Reaction Score
First of all it's Sun. Not Suns. Clearly you aren't a fan of the team, or you would know that.

j66, I was sitting right there on press row. Griner and Taurasi got the star treatment, don't kid yourself. However, they were still the two best players on the court. In a one game series, that happens, they win. But to say Sun fans don't have a right to be frustrated with some of the calls is not fair and correct either.

In fact I tweeted this in the second quarter of the game:

"And the refs, who were doing such a nice job letting them play, have decided to get involved. CT with 5 team fouls, Phoenix, um, one"

When JJ has to skip a possession because Dee elbowed her in the gut and doubled her over that's just wrong. I also saw no offensive fouls on BG that weren't earned. She does throw her elbows around, and she is aggressive...like any good post SHOULD be. The fact she isn't in foul trouble more speaks volumes though. Sometimes you get called, sometimes you don't. I was curious so I looked it up. Since July 1st, BG had ONE game that she had five fouls. At 6'9, and banging in the paint on both ends. Hmmm....

The Mercury made the big plays, led by veterans with experience, while the young Sun players did not make the same. That's what happens sometimes. It was Phoenix's day.

I never read anyone say the refs stole the game or the Mercury didn't win the game. In fact, psconn's post starts with a statement saying the Mercury were the better team and he didn't blame the refs.
My apologies for saying "Suns". You are correct - I am not a fan. Not "NOT a fan" in a negative sense. It's just that I live in Phoenix and my favorite UConn player of all time plays for the Mercury, so yesterday I guess I was not a fan.

Actually I used to be more of a fan when I lived in CT, and when they intentionally put UConn stars on the team. I have been sort of following the Sun vicariously, mostly through psconn's BY posts. I'm glad they have a good coach now, wish them all the best and hope they develop into a serious contender next year when Chiney is back.

Reaction Score
Hence the unbiased assessment.

Ironically I don't find it unbiased at all. Let me ask you Waquoit, what would you think if A'ja Wilson elbowed Gabby Williams in the gut, so that Williams couldn't make it up the court?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ironically I don't find it unbiased at all. Let me ask you Waquoit, what would you think if A'ja Wilson elbowed Gabby Williams in the gut, so that Williams couldn't make it up the court?
I would say that the WNBA is a league where they play for pay. Put on your big girl shorts and get back in the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would say that the WNBA is a league where they play for pay. Put on your big girl shorts and get back in the game.

So cheap shots and dirty play are allowed. Okay, I'll just step away then. Good discussion though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So cheap shots and dirty play are allowed. Okay, I'll just step away then. Good discussion though.
It's pro sports, stuff happens. And I have a feeling that if your scenario played out in the WNBA, Gabby would find a way to make sure it didn't happen again. Honestly, your comment reeks of "my girls".

Reaction Score
It's pro sports, stuff happens. And I have a feeling that if your scenario played out in the WNBA, Gabby would find a way to make sure it didn't happen again. Honestly, your comment reeks of "my girls".

How? I said over and over the better team won. I just said the dirty play is something that fans have a right to be irritated with. I'd say that about the NBA, NCAA, or whatever league. I don't like to see superstar treatment, period.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How? I said over and over the better team won. I just said the dirty play is something that fans have a right to be irritated with. I'd say that about the NBA, NCAA, or whatever league. I don't like to see superstar treatment, period.
I hate the superstar treatment myself but it's a fact of life, unfortunately. I made the the "my girls" crack because an elbow to the gut isn't all that heinous, it happens. It's elbows to the head and face that are the worst.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom