Mercer Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mercer Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
They won. That’s all I want. Free throws, percentages, turnovers, I don’t care - just win the damn game.
this.
pretty ridiculous to come here after the expected blowout, and read too many posts filled with paranoia aboot nonexistent problems. it's tiring, boring, insane, and umm, ridiculous.
more butt whuppings coming. deal with it, or not.
most of us will simply enjoy this journey. most of us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I caught a few things in the post game pressers. I didn't notice that Aubrey was on the bench until Dorka referred to it. Fantastic. I still like Mercer's coach. She has class and a good outlook. Guess the coaches decided not to dress up for the occasion. I love that decision. She also said she now realizes she need to recruit taller players even guards. Mentioned losing her best player to the elbow injury without blaming it on the loss. Just felt they would have scored a bit more.

Reaction Score
How about giving Mercer some credit? They’re nationally ranked #12 in FG% defense

FIELD-GOAL PERCENTAGE DEFENSE

Last updated March 19, 2022 - Through games March 18, 2022

RANKTEAMGMOPP FGOPP FGAOPP FG%
1South Carolina32623192032.4
2UCF28477143133.3
3Liberty32579170733.9
4Tennessee31678199634.0
5Norfolk St.29530155334.1
6Stanford32641184834.7
7Jackson St.29638183334.8
8Princeton28508145534.9
9North Carolina29596170734.9
10Dayton32650186034.9
11Howard31643183635.0
12Mercer29593168635.2
13UC Davis28586166535.2
14UConn30610173235.2
15Charlotte31651184235.3
16SFA32629177735.4
17Montana30655184735.5
18Towson32723203635.5
Didn't I do that? It was the first line in my first comment. But it doesn't excuse, for example, some of the misses the UConn tall ones had up close. Anyway, some of us are thinking ahead. The celebration for the lopsided win against the 15th seed took just a few minutes before looking ahead to what the team needs to do to win all 5 games left. Maybe that is where the fault lies and people should say: going forward, this is what I hope UConn will do.

Unfortunately, this is where the disagreements originate.....

Reaction Score
Always respect your opponent. I don’t care that Mercer was a 15 seed. In past years they’ve given fits to big time programs like Iowa & UGA. The Bears are a talented and well coached team.
I actually said that in my first comment, first line. It doesn't mean, however, that respect should undermine efficient performance. If anything, it should raise one's awareness for the little things and tidy up play, right?

Reaction Score
When you shoot 44% against Mercer you know the offense is...not good.

3 players accounted for 11 of 30 shooting, but they did other things to contribute. The 6 others shot well.

I do not like seeing CW taking so many threes (8) but she was open, so she either needs to knock those down or pass. 2 for 8 is not going to get it done in the later rounds.

Reaction Score
While the victory was expected, I can’t wait to see UConn against a top tier team. I do expect UConn to reach the Elite 8 and play against NC St for a Final Four berth.

On a separate note, let’s give a little love to the other Big East teams who won their opening rounds. Creighton against Iowa tomorrow should be a shoot out. Props to Villanova as well. The better they fare in the tournament exposes the fallacy that the Big East is simply UConn and the little sisters.

Watching Princeton vs Kentucky and Abby Meyers is showing some Caitlin Clark moves with the step back jumper. She would look very good in a UConn jersey next season.

Reaction Score
Maybe that is where the fault lies and people should say: going forward, this is what I hope UConn will do.

Unfortunately, this is where the disagreements originate.....
I don't agree where the disagreement lies for most (not all) pertaining to the underlined.

IMO there is a misguided expectation of perfection from college kids.

1-- The team is going to miss bunnies. Because they can't dunk and don't have real power other than Edwards, they are going to miss bunnies.
2-- The team is going to miss free throws. They aren't a pro team and unless Paige or Azzi is consistently at the line, which they aren't, they will miss free throws. Pro teams miss free throws.
3-- Because they are playing against an overmatched opponent, they are going to push pace. You get better by trying to do things. And in some games some non-pro teams trying to play at a fast pace will commit turnovers.
4-- The other teams have scholarship players too.
5-- Many teams have capable coaches too.

Reaction Score
I would hardly say that the sum of Christyn's 3-pt. shots constitutes a barrage. SMH.

I don‘t know if it was a barrage, but over half of her shots were 3’s. She needs to knock those down. I’d much rather see her drive hard and also pull up for the jumper. I think she is more effective on offense when she drives. If they collapse she can kick To teammates who are better 3 pt shooters.

Reaction Score
@EricLA That’s a tough take. If she hits just one of the 4 misses she is at 50% from 3, just one.
There is no way no way no way no way you want her to stop shooting from 3. I can't believe the complaints!!

Shooting 2-6 from 3, you score 6 points.
Shooting 3-6 from 2, you score 6 points.

Telling a player who is 2-6 from 3 to stop shooting from 3 is like telling any player that is 50% don't shoot at all.
Way too much expectation on here of everyone having to play as if they are an A/A.

Reaction Score
Always respect your opponent. I don’t care that Mercer was a 15 seed. In past years they’ve given fits to big time programs like Iowa & UGA. The Bears are a talented and well coached team.
Let me put it more succinctly: when you respect your opponent, you should raise your mental acuity and level of concentration. They did that in the 3Q on defense but all game long, the offense was inefficient except for the points gained from defensive stops. Mental acuity and level of concentration in half court offense did not meet the demands of respecting the opponent because it was wasteful.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let me put it more succinctly: when you respect your opponent, you should raise your mental acuity and level of concentration. They did that in the 3Q on defense but all game long, the offense was inefficient except for the points gained from defensive stops. Mental acuity and level of concentration in half court offense did not meet the demands of respecting the opponent.
Stop trying to be clever. Please give it a rest.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Last year, Mercer had the misfortune of playin So Carolina in the first found. USC led by 11 after Q1, 11 at the half, and by 17 at the end of Q3. Seems like Mercer is a well coached team

Reaction Score
15 turnovers. 8 missed free throws. Edwards and ONO combined for 5 turnovers and 4 fouls in 44 minutes, scoring just 13 points. That won't cut it against NC State.
As much as anyone I love advancing, which is what it’s all about this time of year. But, you have to be realistic about things. The layoff hurt? Maybe, but no different then the rest of the field, save the play-in participants. Not so sure I’d want to be the one picking player of the game. Agree with our bigs not playing up t0 their potential or advanced billing, which wins nothing. UCF won’t turn over. The bad free throw percentage tends to come back to haunt teams late in a close game.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game. It was a nice crowd, about average in size for a game at Gampel. I have a disconnect between what I was seeing available online on the UConn ticket website - not much - and the large number of empty seats in the upper level behind both baskets.

Mercer brought a zillion people to the game. In addition to the players there must have been 8-10 coaches/managers. Plus the cheerleaders, dance team, mascot, and band. Not many fans though, but some. Their cheerleaders were very good at doing back flips the length of the court, especially the guy.

It seemed like Mercer was playing a junk defense at least to start, man to man against Paige and Azzi and a three person zone, and Christyn was getting the open shots out of that. Made some, missed some. Azzi and Paige got a lot of Mercer`s attention right off the bat.

UConn took advantage of its size on the boards especially. Mercer did not get any meaningful offense inside.

We had some great spurts, especially in the third, and also some lulls. The "thread the needle" passes don`t work very well, but not from lack of trying. The lulls seem to happen when everyone is looking to pass.

The refs were calling it very tight, especially on the perimeter. Nika would agree. It was annoying today but it might be welcome Monday assuming we end up playing UCF.

The second quarter felt like it would never end. Fouls, timeouts, an unfortunate injury, etc.

Nika is like a shot of red bull to the team when she gets out there. Defensive intensity, but also pushing the ball upcourt even when there is not a fast break. That leads to a lot of open shots. We don`t push as hard when she is not in.

Sorry that the Mercer player was injured. We seem to have got through it ok. It looked like Caroline got whacked in the head once (uh oh) but she stayed in so that`s good. Nika took a hit to the face on a drive, looked to be her left jaw area, she was down for a moment or two and was rubbing it on the bench, but came back in and appears to be ok. Aaliyah and another player collided rather loudly, and Aaliyah was called for a foul, that was potentially scary but everyone seems ok.

Mercer was overmatched, especially with their star going down, but they did not play scared and they can hold their heads high.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was at the game. It was a nice crowd, about average in size for a game at Gampel. I have a disconnect between what I was seeing available online on the UConn ticket website - not much - and the large number of empty seats in the upper level behind both baskets.

Mercer brought a zillion people to the game. In addition to the players there must have been 8-10 coaches/managers. Plus the cheerleaders, dance team, mascot, and band. Not many fans though, but some. Their cheerleaders were very good at doing back flips the length of the court, especially the guy.

It seemed like Mercer was playing a junk defense at least to start, man to man against Paige and Azzi and a three person zone, and Christyn was getting the open shots out of that. Made some, missed some. Azzi and Paige got a lot of Mercer`s attention right off the bat.

UConn took advantage of its size on the boards especially. Mercer did not get any meaningful offense inside.

We had some great spurts, especially in the third, and also some lulls. The "thread the needle" passes don`t work very well, but not from lack of trying. The lulls seem to happen when everyone is looking to pass.

The refs were calling it very tight, especially on the perimeter. Nika would agree. It was annoying today but it might be welcome Monday assuming we end up playing UCF.

The second quarter felt like it would never end. Fouls, timeouts, an unfortunate injury, etc.

Nika is like a shot of red bull to the team when she gets out there. Defensive intensity, but also pushing the ball upcourt even when there is not a fast break. That leads to a lot of open shots. We don`t push as hard when she is not in.

Sorry that the Mercer player was injured. We seem to have got through it ok. It looked like Caroline got whacked in the head once (uh oh) but she stayed in so that`s good. Nika took a hit to the face on a drive, looked to be her left lower jaw area, she was down for a moment or two and was rubbing it on the bench, but came back in and appears to be ok. Aaliyah and another player collided rather loudly, and Aaliyah was called for a foul, that was potentially scary but everyone seems ok.

Mercer was overmatched, especially with their star going down, but they did not play scared and they can hold their heads high.
It’s too bad foreign born players are not eligible for NIL compensation. Nika would be a natural for Red Bull. ;)

Reaction Score
was glad to see Ducharme hit a few threes (was it 2 or 3). Her inside game good as usual
Agree. People forget she was /is regarded as a top 3 point shooter. She has not shot it well this season but it can change in a min, plus her being a threat opens things up. That all said she is a complete player and seems like when she is out on the floor things always (+) happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom