Mercer Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Mercer Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Mercer game:
  • SHE’S BAAAAAACK! Paige starting today’s game is an indication that Geno knows he can not limit his reigning NPOY’s minutes if the Huskies are to win banner # 12. Paige got a little more comfortable on the court. She played around 25 minutes, did a little bit of everything, while filling up the stat sheet, as the Huskies rolled over Mercer in their opening round game.
  • The Mercer Bears are a quick and athletic team. They provided the Huskies with a good opening round test in the Big Dance, that should serve them well in their next game vs UCF or FL.
  • UConn’s pressure defense once again caused nightmares for an opponent, as the Huskies turned over Mercer time after time, leading to easy baskets, while also holding Mercer to an anemic 22%.
  • In case you missed it, UCONN OUTSCORED MERCER 20 – 0 IN THE 3RD QTR! :eek:
  • I would really love to see UConn run more plays for Azzi to allow everyone to see a lot more of that flawless 3-pt shooting stroke of hers. Azzi took and made all 3 of her shots behind the arc.
  • EVERBODY EATS!!! All 9 regular rotation players scored for the Huskies, with Christyn leading the show with only 13 points.
  • WE WANT UCONN! ;)

Reaction Score
Good win, very balance team. Nice to see Paige is back.

Screenshot (14).png

Reaction Score
  • I would really love to see UConn run more plays for Azzi to allow everyone to see a lot more of that flawless 3-pt shooting stroke of hers. Azzi took and made all 3 of her shots behind the arc.
I am hoping this is because Geno is not showing everything at this point in the tournament. Why show Azzi's breakout plays until our guys are up against it in the fourth quarter and we need a secret weapon. Let our interim opponents forget all about Azzi.:cool::D:confused:

Reaction Score
Everybody Eats!

But as impressive as it all looked, there is still work to do to further reduce the unforced errors that have been a challenge for this team all season. The missed layups and missed free throws alone would be a real problem against a better team on a night when the are not falling the way they did today.

Reaction Score
# 4 of 9

I think Paige progressed from baby steps to adult steps. Making good progress.
Anytime a basketball team throws a shutout for a quarter and keeps the opponent to under 40, they are really playing defense.
UConn defense outperformed their offense, understandable with a little long layoff rust. Not bad, but needs to click better. They were playing # 15 seed who had no height.

Very good opening round game

Reaction Score
Great way to kick off the tourney after being off for 10 days or so. Even better to know that they can play even better than they did today.

Going into last years tourney I think we talked a lot about having the best player in the tournament. This year I think the convo is about having the best team. Staying 9 deep and everyone yet again contributing can really serve us well as the tourney gets deeper.

Reaction Score
They won. That’s all I want. Free throws, percentages, turnovers, I don’t care - just win the damn game.
That's exacly the way I feel. They looked a little rusty at first, lots of missed layups and second shots. But what I liked the most is the scoring by the team that came off of the bench.

Ok.... on to the next matchup.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
39 points has been a barrier for 4 of out last 5 opponents. The other team scored 40 I believe, off the top of my head. That's great defense no matter how critical about our team defense you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom