Mention of renewed B12 interest | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mention of renewed B12 interest

Reaction Score
Ok fair enough. Let me put it this way - I get a lot more hyped for games against Creighton & Marquette than I do for games against the closer geographic BE schools and it’s been that way for a few years. And I would sure be excited to have Kansas, Houston, Iowa St, Arizona, Baylor, Cincy on our BB schedule every year.

Also let’s not forget the ACC has Cal, Stanford & SMU in it now.

I don’t consider PC and St. John’s “rivals”.

I consider the rest of the Big East as a bunch of little brothers. And DePaul is the little bro friend that slept over and never went home.

Reaction Score
Culturally, UConn has a lot more in common with the ACC than the B12.
Geographically and perhaps because we were mostly on the east coast, yes. Other than that, I think it's the opposite. Of course I had hoped for the ACC due to rivalries and location but I really don't give a crap about it anymore. It doesn't want UConn, and our old rivals appear to be too scared of UConn anyway. They no longer care about a regional rival and our history with them.

I think large state universities are very similar regardless of where they are located, except for maybe a U like Berkeley. The biggest cultural differences would probably come public vs privates.

Big 12 - 13 Pub, 3 Private
ACC - 10 Pub, 8 Private

Here is a post from the cuse board. A fan once in a while will be positive about UConn, but the rest want no part of UConn
This is why UConn is a no brainer to the ACC that people seem to not understand.
"Give them a ND deal and see if they can build FB.

The problem is...can Syracuse, BC and Pitt afford losing some recruits to Yukon in FB?"

Reaction Score
Don't trust Yormark

They will much more likely take other teams from the ACC than UConn. Don't trust Yormark.
Maybe, likely, one can only hope. They still have Oregon St and Wazzu out there as well, although not sure what either bring to the table as geo outliers and meh at FB.

UConn’s two advantages are hoops and NY/Boston market share. Let’s hope Yormark sees some value in that, as would be something B10 and SeC don’t have.

Reaction Score
Don't trust Yormark

They will much more likely take other teams from the ACC than UConn. Don't trust Yormark.
It's not a matter of trusting or not trusting Yormark. Let's face it---they are P4 schools; UConn is not. If they become available, I don't doubt that some of them will be taken first, just like the PAC schools. I just hope that UConn will be included with them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The problem is...can Syracuse, BC and Pitt afford losing some recruits to Yukon in FB?"
It is actually interesting that not withstanding a a decades worth of ineptitude in football on our part, they still fear us. The even funnier part is that there is no discussion whatsoever on competing with us for basketball recruits. It seems like even they have acknowledged that ship has sailed.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe, likely, one can only hope. They still have Oregon St and Wazzu out there as well, although not sure what either bring to the table as geo outliers and meh at FB.

UConn’s two advantages are hoops and NY/Boston market share. Let’s hope Yormark sees some value in that, as would be something B10 and SeC don’t have.
I'd also say brand recognition. We are a known name. That said, I'll believe that we have an invitation to the P4 when it's been announced by both the conference in the school and we're painting new logos on the court.

Reaction Score
It is actually interesting that not withstanding a a decades worth of ineptitude in football on our part, they still fear us. The even funnier part is that there is no discussion whatsoever on competing with us for basketball recruits. It seems like even they have acknowledged that ship has sailed.
UConn shet in the bed by not keeping up with football when we had the opportunity.

We had positive momentum after RE left, but we decided to hire two of the worst college coaches on the planet in coach P and coach red pants. We followed that up with RE 2.0, which was utter disaster.

If our football averaged 8+ wins a year after RE 1.0, we would easily be in the B12 or the ACC today. As a flagship state university with high academic rankings, why would the B12 pick UCF, Houston, or Cincy over us?

We got nothing but ourselves to blame for years of bad football hiring and the bad timing of being horrible during all the realignment stuff. We controlled our own destiny but shet in the bed with these horrible hires.

Anyone can see we got lots of potential in football. We averaged 36k+ when NCST came into town, but we proceeded to lose that game and many games after that. Out football fans are dying for a winner, but our team simply hasn't delivered.

We simply can't afford another 3 or 4 wins season in football. Mora is the right guy, but he has to deliver right now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For openers, we have a brand that massively exceeds each of theirs. That is one aspect where they each realize they can lose further ground more easily than they can close the gap.

A second issue is that as a state flagship, we do have an advantage is we succeed due to the fact that many (residents of the state where we are the flagship) will align themselves with us even if they have no direct affiliation with the school. We can end up with far more non-alumni fans than they can.

Finally, I believe it shook them to the core a little more than twenty years ago (especially BC) when we nearly beat BC in what was expected to be a cupcake game (bakery is closed) and in our initial games as a member of the BE we split (won the home games, lost the road games) against Cuse and Pitt in our first two seasons as a member of the same conference. We caught up with them far more quickly than anyone would havce anticipated, leaving each to worry that not only were we in a position where we could pass them shortly, but also that our ceiling could be far above each of theirs.

I'm not sure how many from the initial eight years of the Rent are still engaged with the program but anyone who was there at that time did have the belief that we could become a serious player in the world of big time college football. I still believe that it is a possibility.

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of trusting or not trusting Yormark. Let's face it---they are P4 schools; UConn is not. If they become available, I don't doubt that some of them will be taken first, just like the PAC schools. I just hope that UConn will be included with them.
I hope so too, but it seems like the same scenario keeps repeating itself. Other posters talk about UConn's brand, the NYC DMA, etc. that has been there in the past and it has never been a consideration. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN tells Yormark to take Cuse and BC. I also think that Cinci, Houston and UCF would all be no votes anyways because of AAC history.

Reaction Score
UConn shet in the bed by not keeping up with football when we had the opportunity.

We had positive momentum after RE left, but we decided to hire two of the worst college coaches on the planet in coach P and coach red pants. We followed that up with RE 2.0, which was utter disaster.

If our football averaged 8+ wins a year after RE 1.0, we would easily be in the B12 or the ACC today. As a flagship state university with high academic rankings, why would the B12 pick UCF, Houston, or Cincy over us?

We got nothing but ourselves to blame for years of bad football hiring and the bad timing of being horrible during all the realignment stuff. We controlled our own destiny but shet in the bed with these horrible hires.

Anyone can see we got lots of potential in football. We averaged 36k+ when NCST came into town, but we proceeded to lose that game and many games after that. Out football fans are dying for a winner, but our team simply hasn't delivered.

We simply can't afford another 3 or 4 wins season in football. Mora is the right guy, but he has to deliver right now.
Did UConn average 36,000+ per game over a season, or simply have a crowd of 36,000+ when North Carolina came to the Rent? There's a difference. When N=1 there is no average.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It all will come down to whether we can or cannot fix the football program. If it appears that our program will be substantial enough that during down years we will still be somewhat decent (competitive with the bottom of the conference) and during good years will be able to win more games than we lose against P level opponents, we will be very attractive as an expansion candidate. If the concern remains that we won't be competitive at all (basically what we've been the bulk of the past eight years), they'll be afraid to touch us.

Reaction Score
For openers, we have a brand that massively exceeds each of theirs. That is one aspect where they each realize they can lose further ground more easily than they can close the gap.

A second issue is that as a state flagship, we do have an advantage is we succeed due to the fact that many (residents of the state where we are the flagship) will align themselves with us even if they have no direct affiliation with the school. We can end up with far more non-alumni fans than they can.

Finally, I believe it shook them to the core a little more than twenty years ago (especially BC) when we nearly beat BC in what was expected to be a cupcake game (bakery is closed) and in our initial games as a member of the BE we split (won the home games, lost the road games) against Cuse and Pitt in our first two seasons as a member of the same conference. We caught up with them far more quickly than anyone would havce anticipated, leaving each to worry that not only were we in a position where we could pass them shortly, but also that our ceiling could be far above each of theirs.

I'm not sure how many from the initial eight years of the Rent are still engaged with the program but anyone who was there at that time did have the belief that we could become a serious player in the world of big time college football. I still believe that it is a possibility.
More precisely, UConn has a basketball brand, and deservedly so. In the world of college football, UConn's brand rivals that of Ipana toothpaste, Oldsmobile, and Sears and Roebuck -- also deservedly so.

Reaction Score
Did UConn average 36,000+ per game over a season, or simply have a crowd of 36,000+ when North Carolina came to the Rent? There's a difference. When N=1 there is no average.
It's one game when we had some positive momentum. It was a highly anticipated game, and we choked. Had UConn continue to win after that game, we would have attracted bigger crowd.

The reason UCF, Cincy, and Houston are in the B12 today is because they won right before the realignment saga while UConn did not.

The point is winning football games is within UConn's control to a certain extend, and we simply haven't delivered on the field.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
More precisely, UConn has a basketball brand, and deservedly so. In the world of college football, UConn's brand rivals that of Ipana toothpaste, Oldsmobile, and Sears and Roebuck -- also deservedly so.
The board's one BC lurker immediately swoops in to make an attempt to minimize UConn's overall brand. This is valid evidence that BC nation (perhaps county would be a more accurate label considering their minimal reach) has concerns that we can completely eclipse them.

Reaction Score
The board's one BC lurker immediately swoops in to make an attempt to minimize UConn's overall brand. This is valid evidence that BC nation (perhaps county would be a more accurate label considering their minimal reach) has concerns that we can completely eclipse them.
County might be stretching it; maybe community.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our resident BCU troll gives us the opportunity to point out that Rentschler field sold out 31 times in its first 10 years:

DateOpponentResultSeats
September 13, 2003Boston CollegeL 14–2440,000
November 8, 2003RutgersW 38–3140,000
September 11, 2004DukeW 22–2040,000
September 25, 2004ArmyW 40–340,000
September 30, 2004PittsburghW 29–1740,000
October 13, 2004#17 West VirginiaL 19–3140,000
October 23, 2004TempleW 45–3140,000
November 20, 2004BuffaloW 29–040,000
September 1, 2005BuffaloW 38–040,000
September 10, 2005LibertyW 59–040,000
October 7, 2005SyracuseW 26–740,000
October 22, 2005RutgersL 24–2640,000
November 26, 2005South FloridaW 15–1040,000
December 3, 2005#16 LouisvilleL 20–3040,000
September 16, 2006Wake ForestL 13–2440,000
September 30, 2006NavyL 17–4140,000
October 20, 2006#4 West VirginiaL 11–3740,000
November 11, 2006PittsburghW 46–453OT40,000
October 19, 2007LouisvilleW 21–1740,000
October 27, 2007#11 South FloridaW 22–1540,000
November 3, 2007RutgersW 38–1940,000
November 17, 2007SyracuseW 30–740,000
September 13, 2008VirginiaW 45–1040,000
October 25, 2008CincinnatiW 40–1640,000
November 1, 2008West VirginiaL 35–1340,000
October 17, 2009LouisvilleW 38–2540,000
November 28, 2009SyracuseW 56–3140,000
October 2, 2010VanderbiltW 40–2140,000
October 29, 2010West VirginiaW 16–13OT40,000
November 27, 2010CincinnatiW 38–1740,000
September 21, 2013#15 MichiganL 24–2142,704

Connecticut will support winning football.

Reaction Score

You realize you lost to us badly two years ago when we started the season in the bottom ten.

You lost badly to a team that Michigan scored at will on.

You cannot legally talk smack. I confirmed this with a notary public.

Reaction Score
The hated Gene DeFlippo was an evil genius for BC. He knew BC didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of holding off UConn, so he started the BE destruction, and was able to engineer our exclusion from the ACC.

I was at a couple of meetings with Defillipo when he was at Villanova, that SOB left a trail of slime wherever he walked. He also must have cast a spell on Hathaway, as those 2 have more to do with our current plight than anyone else, including Paul P.

Reaction Score
You realize you lost to us badly two years ago when we started the season in the bottom ten.

You lost badly to a team that Michigan scored at will on.

You cannot legally talk smack. I confirmed this with a notary public.
Your assumption about the identity of you is flawed. And questioning whether a poster's claim about game-attendance relates to one game or an average of several is not adversarial. Neither is it smack-talk. It's just a question.

Reaction Score
UConn Football was never a brand as big as Oldsmobile or Sears Roebuck. Sears Roebuck was a mega brand. On a side note, the history of Sears is interesting as it was into just about everything.

UConn Football around here is more like Columbia Sportswear. Became very popular, then not quite as much, but still a solid investment. :cool:

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
UConn Football around here is more like Columbia Sportswear. Became very popular, then not quite as much, but still a solid investment. :cool:
I would've likened UConn to Starter, ya know, more of a CT homegrown and helluva cool company (I miss the tent sales, some of my 20+ year old Starter gear is still in great shape).

Reaction Score
County might be stretching it; maybe community.
I believe the correct geographical description is BC Block. Maybe it's two blocks since BC bailed out the Archdiocese of Boston a decade or so back by buying the Cardinal's complex across the street so it could settle court judgments.

Reaction Score
Sir. Did you ever letter anything? I don’t think so.

You lost to us badly when we were in the Bottom 10. That was what we were.

I’m not the one who is confused about football identity.
As regards the identity of my alma mater or whether we lost to UConn when UConn football was in the bottom ten, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom