Mention of renewed B12 interest | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mention of renewed B12 interest

Reaction Score
XII needs to do this:
UConn
USF
OSU
WSU
It results in basically a merger of the Big 12 plus half PAC 12 and half Old BE. You stretch to the 4 corners of the country. There's your conference, that's your conference. XX
If/when ACC implodes, bring in Pitt & Louisville at worst.
Very competitive top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Basketball only is not happening but to play along:
1. UConn should only do it with a guarantee football is coming along at a near future date. We still play D1 football, it's a package deal.
2. Kansas, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Cincy, Houston, WVU, Okie State, Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, BYU - that slate should not be overlooked as a long term play. Pitt and Louisville could be in the mix too. CR#1 says Temple. :cool:
to play along with your play along:

1) could you expand on this? what is a guarantee, to bring us in? I feel like in a bb-only offer, there is no guarantee for FB. if there was a guarantee, you could just bring us in now. I think more likely than a "guarantee later" situation, UConn would probably be better off coming in at a reduced or even $0 revenue share for football. I'd think dave benedict could get creative and get them to allow us to keep our income streams (equivalent money that we get from current CBS sports contract, which would have to be bought out i assume), while also getting us just enough money to cover the additional overhead for travel etc., which should still be low enough money for the Big 12 teams to agree (for a pre-determined amount of time). So, ultimately we play with the big boys and make just enough money to not bleed out financially, but we get none of the riches until....later.

with regard to our coaching salaries & NIL, that's where it breaks down - there's probably no moeny left for that and we have to figure it out on our own, unitl we're full members.... which we're doing right now anyway!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
XII needs to do this:
UConn
USF
OSU
WSU
It results in basically a merger of the Big 12 plus half PAC 12 and half Old BE. You stretch to the 4 corners of the country. There's your conference, that's your conference. XX
If/when ACC implodes, bring in Pitt & Louisville at worst.
Very competitive top to bottom.
My guess is that is plan C. Might not pull the trigger until the FSU/Clem drama is complete.

Reaction Score
to play along with your play along:

1) could you expand on this? what is a guarantee, to bring us in? I feel like in a bb-only offer, there is no guarantee for FB. if there was a guarantee, you could just bring us in now. I think more likely than a "guarantee later" situation, UConn would probably be better off coming in at a reduced or even $0 revenue share for football. I'd think dave benedict could get creative and get them to allow us to keep our income streams (equivalent money that we get from current CBS sports contract, which would have to be bought out i assume), while also getting us just enough money to cover the additional overhead for travel etc., which should still be low enough money for the Big 12 teams to agree (for a pre-determined amount of time). So, ultimately we play with the big boys and make just enough money to not bleed out financially, but we get none of the riches until....later.

with regard to our coaching salaries & NIL, that's where it breaks down - there's probably no moeny left for that and we have to figure it out on our own, unitl we're full members.... which we're doing right now anyway!
I agree with this. My thinking is Yormark likes our hoops. The Big 12 hates our football. They really hate us. Taking football later may be a foot in the door but I just don't see a full invitation any time soon.

Reaction Score
I just don’t get how a conference with FSU, Clemson, and ND (scheduling alliance) added to NC state, VT, and Miami can’t compete with Big 12 for media $’s.
So much so, FSU will pay $200M for the oppty to join a conference the peer schools they are chasing just left.

Clemson and FsU aren’t going to Big 12 is my hunch.

Reaction Score
I just don’t get how a conference with FSU, Clemson, and ND (scheduling alliance) added to NC state, VT, and Miami can’t compete with Big 12 for media $’s.
So much so, FSU will pay $200M for the oppty to join a conference the peer schools they are chasing just left.

The problem with the ACC is their lower half of schools (Wake, BC, Syracuse, Duke, etc.) bring in less eyeballs than the lower half of the Big12.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The problem with the ACC is their lower half of schools (Wake, BC, Syracuse, Duke, etc.) bring in less eyeballs than the lower half of the Big12.
I'd like to see a comparison of Cuse vs say UCF, Duke vs Kansas, BC vs WVU or Wake vs Iowa St. I'm not sure the number of eyeballs is all that different there.

Yes, FSU and Clemson are trump cards (far more due to football performance than anything else, including brand attraction, which is part of the issue) but moving them from the ACC to the B-12 won't be cost effective unless somehow they can convince another half dozen plus schools to make a lateral move solely for the purpose of destroying the ACC. I don't see this as likely.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a comparison of Cuse vs say UCF, Duke vs Kansas, BC vs WVU or Wake vs Iowa St. I'm not sure the number of eyeballs is all that different there.

Yes, FSU and Clemson are trump cards (far more due to football performance than anything else, including brand attraction, which is part of the issue) but moving them from the ACC to the B-12 won't be cost effective unless somehow they can convince another half dozen plus schools to make a lateral move solely for the purpose of destroying the ACC. I don't see this as likely.
This is one longitudinal study

Lots of ins and outs/puts and takes. Not sure if there's other data out there that focuses on the last say 5 years?

If you take out FSU and Clemson from the ACC, it just seems like there is more passion for football amongst the "average" B12 fan base than the ACC's. Plus, the ACC's media deal really is a bit wonky. This creates instability. The reality of the Magnificent 7 schools coming out publicly is certainly a signal that the upper tier ACC schools are unhappy and worried about being left behind.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. My thinking is Yormark likes our hoops. The Big 12 hates our football. They really hate us. Taking football later may be a foot in the door but I just don't see a full invitation any time soon.
But do they love our hoops more than they hate our football? UConn hoops right now and what it brings, including entire northeast corridor from NYC to Boston would be a grand slam for the Big 12. Football is more a ground out double play. However, if the Big 12 has the foresight to see our commitment to sports can surely visualize football hitting singles and doubles sometime soon.

Reaction Score
If they want to keep the ACC together they may need to consider tiered payments to member schools combined with performance payouts.

Reaction Score

I may be mistaken. I figured the ACC could compete for media dollars, but it is espn which has the ACC by the cajones. ESPN isn't going to pay more than it has to because it has the GOR locking everyone in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why does anyone think that the B12 would invite UConn for basketball only?
Why aren't you reorganizing your string collection right now?

Reaction Score
If they want to keep the ACC together they may need to consider tiered payments to member schools combined with performance payouts.
I believe that the Magnificent 7 tried to get tiered payments and it was a no-go. I think they got a few performance payouts, but that was it.

I found the story:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1) could you expand on this? what is a guarantee, to bring us in? I feel like in a bb-only offer, there is no guarantee for FB. if there was a guarantee, you could just bring us in now. I think more likely than a "guarantee later" situation, UConn would probably be better off coming in at a reduced or even $0 revenue share for football.
I don't think it's forthcoming, but I could see a theoretical degree of a future admission if certain goals were met, say a minimal amount of success on the field and perhaps the addition of an on-campus stadium. The benefit to Connecticut is in eventual admission to the club. The benefit to the conference would be that whatever additional revenue streams Connecticut would bring into the conference could be distributed to other members during the transition period. This is essentially the SMU deal.

If you assume that basketball is worth 20% of a conferences total media revenue, which is debatable, but is the current standard being used, then if say the big 12 had a $35 million media contract and further say that their television partners were willing to pay a full share for Connecticut, which is probably unlikely, then Connecticut would keep $7 million and the conference would have an additional $28 million to distribute among other members as it saw fit. $7 million is essentially a push with the new big east TV deal, so that probably isn't high enough as a standalone to cause them to move conferences. If, on the other hand they got a share of college football playoff money, which I think is currently about 15 million, they would certainly take that, but I don't think SMU is getting a share. a combined 22 million to the school with a guaranteed slot say five years out we would likely take it.

The real question is with the big 12 offer it, and the answer is probably not. In theory the benefit to them is access to the New York DMA, access to the Hartford Connecticut DMA, a better East Coast presence, bringing on a proven champion, and arguably the best team in men's college basketball over the last quarter century, bringing on a proven champion and inarguably lead the best team in women's basketball over the last quarter century and in additional $140M to be distributed among conference members, perhaps unequally, over five years ($35M x .80 x 5).

Again, I don't think this is realistic I am just playing the hypothetical game with you. We would help our argument considerably if we stopped being historically bad at football.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
In theory the benefit to them is access to the New York DMA, access to the Hartford Connecticut DMA, a better East Coast presence, bringing on a proven champion, and arguably the best team in men's college basketball over the last quarter century, bringing on a proven champion and inarguably lead the best team in women's basketball over the last quarter century and in additional $140M to be distributed among conference members, perhaps unequally, over five years ($35M x .80 x 5).
Solid post @CL82. The only gripe I have is that the B12 may be thinking they don't need the NY DMA as it's not considered to be a hotbed for college football eyes (NFL is another story). In terms of college basketball eyes, yeah, it's a big market (we pack MSG well too), but B12 alumni in the metro area would watch BBall with or without UConn...pulling in UConn to the conference maybe gets them some additive viewers, but I'm not convinced that they are convinced enough to sway them to add us yanks to the rodeo.

Reaction Score
Solid post @CL82. The only gripe I have is that the B12 may be thinking they don't need the NY DMA as it's not considered to be a hotbed for college football eyes (NFL is another story). In terms of college basketball eyes, yeah, it's a big market (we pack MSG well too), but B12 alumni in the metro area would watch BBall with or without UConn...pulling in UConn to the conference maybe gets them some additive viewers, but I'm not convinced that they are convinced enough to sway them to add us yanks to the rodeo.
What may or may not be of interest to B12 University presidents is more access to high performing high school students with less need for academic scholarship money. With the looming decreased student demographics coming, some university presidents may view NE markets more favorably than they used to. UConn needs to play that card as well as any (biomed, etc.) research links and other aspects UConn can bring that go beyond the gridiron.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
It's not that they are adding "us Yanks" to the rodeo; they are adding the 6-time national champion UConn Huskies. In conference, out of conference, people will watch to root for or against us. We're a national brand.

We also raise their academic profile as a top twenty public university.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
It's not that they are adding "us Yanks" to the rodeo; they are adding the 6-time national champion UConn Huskies. In conference, out of conference, people will watch to root for or against us. We're a national brand.

We also raise their academic profile as a top twenty public university.
Five natys didn't convince the B12 to add us, and after the 6th men's naty...crickets. They don't care about the basketball profile we bring otherwise there would be "XII" instead of "Big East" on our athletes' uniforms. They easily gloss over that during the RE1 era, UConn was decent, so it's not like we are abysmal basement dwellers. I won't dispute that people watch UConn to root against us and that we're a national brand as well as a top public uni. These are honorifics that sooth our soul and stroke our ego but do little to impact university presidents who myopically only think of pigskin prowess. To me, they don't care what we are, they only care that we sucked in a major sport for a decade...that stench don't wash off easily.

Reaction Score
Why aren't you reorganizing your string collection right now?
I've been busy sweeping bird poop out of my cuckoo clock. What's your excuse for not answering my question?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom