Mention of renewed B12 interest | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mention of renewed B12 interest

Reaction Score
Solid post @CL82. The only gripe I have is that the B12 may be thinking they don't need the NY DMA as it's not considered to be a hotbed for college football eyes (NFL is another story). In terms of college basketball eyes, yeah, it's a big market (we pack MSG well too), but B12 alumni in the metro area would watch BBall with or without UConn...pulling in UConn to the conference maybe gets them some additive viewers, but I'm not convinced that they are convinced enough to sway them to add us yanks to the rodeo.
but big 12 doesn't play in NY right now - that's the piece i think you're missing. if they get Storrs South into the conference, then i wonder if that will be the catalyst for MSG to drop Big East and flip the tournament to Big 12. if they find away to lure nova, gtown, st johns and marquette to B12 for basketball, then that immediately flips the script away from a Big East MSG tournament, to Big 12. Maybe uconn alone is enough to flip it.

idk just theorizing.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
but big 12 doesn't play in NY right now - that's the piece i think you're missing. if they get Storrs South into the conference, then i wonder if that will be the catalyst for MSG to drop Big East and flip the tournament to Big 12. if they find away to lure nova, gtown, st johns and marquette to B12 for basketball, then that immediately flips the script away from a Big East MSG tournament, to Big 12. Maybe uconn alone is enough to flip it.

idk just theorizing.
Not missing it at all mate (wish I was and that it was that simple), and neither apparently is the B12. They doubled down on their southwest presence in taking AZ, ASU, UU, and CU. We, and by extension the NY market, have been available to them for practically a decade. Recall their supposed interest in UConn dating back to 2016. If 8 years and 2 BBall championships (3 if considering UConn was just 2 years removed from the 2014 title) weren't enough time and incentive to seal the deal, then it would take an act of Gozer the Gozerian to put the fear of not taking us to finally make them take us. Maybe some football wins would help sway me back to a glimmer of hope...I'm still convalescing from Italy's dismal Euros. :confused:

Reaction Score
The B12 does not excite me.

UConn should chill on the B12 and see how the ACC shakes out.

Geographic rivalries are good. The B12 offers few. The ACC would offer many. I am happy to tread water in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Just can't find where there is any traction for anybody to take us. Hate to say it, we dance with the first girl that says yes. Right now, the BE is the prettiest girl I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
I’d rather join the Big 12, get paid and watch what’s left of the ACC get dragged.

One problem with your position; if UConn joins the Big 12 then it would likely be contractually prohibited from joining the geographically favorable
ACC leftovers.

Reaction Score
One problem with your position; if UConn joins the Big 12 then it would likely be contractually prohibited from joining the geographically favorable
ACC leftovers.
Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. If Uconn got a full B12 invite it, they jump on it. Don’t care about the ACC, which had multiple opportunities to add Uconn & didn’t.

As it is, UConn’s top rivals in the Big East are in Wisconsin & Nebraska. So much for geographic rivalries.

Reaction Score
ACC leftovers.
That's a great problem to have
A. If UConn joins the Big 12 the Big 12 instantly becomes the place to be (#3 of Damone's 5 point plan)
B. If the ACC then has leftovers, it means they're screwed

Reaction Score
Just can't find where there is any traction for anybody to take us. Hate to say it, we dance with the first girl that says yes. Right now, the BE is the prettiest girl I've ever seen.
Uconn can win the next three national titles in basketball, win the women's hoops title, make the frozen four in hockey and the CWS in baseball and they still won't be invited to a P4 conference. it is what it is. Enjoy it for now

Reaction Score

ACC leftovers.

If we’re in the Big 12 then who cares about those regional schools.

I’ll somehow survive without playing in a conference with Wake Forest and BC

Reaction Score
Sounds like folks I know. Anywhere that we don’t have Boston College, Cuse, Wake, Duke, North Carolina is good

Reaction Score
Recent report suggesting Yormark wants to go 24, with network support.

It’s clear in the larger landscape the BE will be a second hand conference. It will happen slowly over time as these other conferences strengthen and build alliances on the FB end.

Yormark has a vision and is intuitive. He realizes the only way to compete with the B10 and SEC is to get creative, hence the Private Equity Capital. They’re just too far ahead. And to build the hoops brand.

I can foresee a scenario where he wins some hearts on the FB side to gain support on the hoops side. If he fills the next 6 slots with FB brands, perhaps he wins 2 on the hoops end, especially if looking to gain new markets (UConn - NYC).

I’m ok taking a lesser share as long as the promise to build up is there.

If there is a 24 team conference, and 2-4 divisions, could see some synergies with having a grouping like:

NC St
VA Tech
WV
Cinci
Pitt
Uconn

Let’s hope. Long term in BE is bleak if we want to keep a FB program.

Reaction Score
Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. If Uconn got a full B12 invite it, they jump on it. Don’t care about the ACC, which had multiple opportunities to add Uconn & didn’t.

As it is, UConn’s top rivals in the Big East are in Wisconsin & Nebraska. So much for geographic rivalries.
UConn’s top “rivals” are not Creighton and Marquette. They are our top competitors. Our top rivals are Villanova, St. John’s and Providence.

Geography (and history) still matter.

Reaction Score
Don't trust Yormark
Recent report suggesting Yormark wants to go 24, with network support.

It’s clear in the larger landscape the BE will be a second hand conference. It will happen slowly over time as these other conferences strengthen and build alliances on the FB end.

Yormark has a vision and is intuitive. He realizes the only way to compete with the B10 and SEC is to get creative, hence the Private Equity Capital. They’re just too far ahead. And to build the hoops brand.

I can foresee a scenario where he wins some hearts on the FB side to gain support on the hoops side. If he fills the next 6 slots with FB brands, perhaps he wins 2 on the hoops end, especially if looking to gain new markets (UConn - NYC).

I’m ok taking a lesser share as long as the promise to build up is there.

If there is a 24 team conference, and 2-4 divisions, could see some synergies with having a grouping like:

NC St
VA Tech
WV
Cinci
Pitt
Uconn

Let’s hope. Long term in BE is bleak if we want to keep a FB program.
They will much more likely take other teams from the ACC than UConn. Don't trust Yormark.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
IMG_0014.jpeg

“Yormark, listen to me vell. You vill take UConn tonight, take its blueblood…or I vill take your blood. This I command you.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC leftovers.
I would take stability and more money over vague memories of teams we played 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
DrMcHornedFrog is trolling
Sebastian Abernathy
@DrMcHornedFrog

Big 12’s first Jewish, super-heterosexual, polygot, sword wielding, 6% black, Reporter ||| Proud father of an asian dog || PARODY

Reaction Score
UConn’s top “rivals” are not Creighton and Marquette. They are our top competitors. Our top rivals are Villanova, St. John’s and Providence.

Geography (and history) still matter.
Ok fair enough. Let me put it this way - I get a lot more hyped for games against Creighton & Marquette than I do for games against the closer geographic BE schools and it’s been that way for a few years. And I would sure be excited to have Kansas, Houston, Iowa St, Arizona, Baylor, Cincy on our BB schedule every year.

Also let’s not forget the ACC has Cal, Stanford & SMU in it now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom