Men's Soccer Beats #1 UCLA!!!! (On PKs no less) | The Boneyard

Men's Soccer Beats #1 UCLA!!!! (On PKs no less)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We trailed 2-0 early. Tied it 2-2 in second half, gave up a goal three minutes later to fall behind 3-2, then tied it again 3-3 with 20 mins left. PKs were tied 4-4 after 5 rounds, we converted and UCLA missed.

At UVA next for quarter finals.

Reaction Score
We trailed 2-0 early. Tied it 2-2 in second half, gave up a goal three minutes later to fall behind 3-2, then tied it again 3-3 with 20 mins left. PKs were tied 4-4 after 5 rounds, we converted and UCLA missed.

At UVA next for quarter finals.

Awesome, beating the #1 is huge.

What a crappy way for the #1 to go down, but if you can't hold a lead in soccer, you can never ever complain.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Holy crap, that was nerve-wracking. Freaking feed kept cutting, too.

After going 0-5 in tournament games decided by PKs, Ray Reid is now on a 2-0 tear this week.

Wow. What a win.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Awesome, beating the #1 is huge.

What a crappy way for the #1 to go down, but if you can't hold a lead in soccer, you can never ever complain.

Yep. They scored twice two minutes apart to lead 2-0 maybe 12-13 minutes into the game. Couldn't hold it. Nobody to blame but themselves. We outplayed them for the most part, but they had a lead for 60 minutes of regulation so sometimes you take less chances ahead and don't worry about shot counts as much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yep. They scored twice two minutes apart to lead 2-0 maybe 12-13 minutes into the game. Couldn't hold it. Nobody to blame but themselves. We outplayed them for the most part, but they had a lead for 60 minutes of regulation so sometimes you take less chances ahead and don't worry about shot counts as much.

Blah, blah, blah.

F--- 'em.

We won.

Reaction Score
Great win. UVA next. Anyone know where that game will be played?

Reaction Score
Soccer would seem to not have an idea of how to bracket their tourney huh? I mean 2 teams in VA with 5 losses playing each prior to the quarters other while UConn and UCLA, who seem to be both highly ranked, already playing each other prior to the quarters? Strange but I admit to knowing little about the other teams.......I'm sure the ACC is better than the AAC........although UConn always plays a tough schedule I believe......

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who is better than Ray Reid? All you Reid bashers can suck on it. Unless you like that, whereupon you can all go eat something.

pj

Reaction Score
Soccer would seem to not have an idea of how to bracket their tourney huh? I mean 2 teams in VA with 5 losses playing each prior to the quarters other while UConn and UCLA, who seem to be both highly ranked, already playing each other prior to the quarters? Strange but I admit to knowing little about the other teams.......I'm sure the ACC is better than the AAC........although UConn always plays a tough schedule I believe......

They seem to have bracketed it fairly well, considering that of the top 8 seeds, 6 have made it to the Elite Eight. See rankings here http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1 and bracket here http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1. The teams ranked #2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 are all in the final eight. #1 UCLA lost to #21 UConn and #6 Georgetown lost to #11 Michigan State. Looks like UConn may have been underseeded, but otherwise it played to form.

Reaction Score

UConn was actually unseeded, outside the top 16.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely incredible, seeds don't matter at this point, the men have a good shot, very excited.

Reaction Score
Awesome win. Representing the Huskies well on the pitch.

I dislike most of the overtime rules in sports. Shootout in hockey. PKs in soccer. New, bizarro rules in the NFL, which is a hybrid sudden death/college rules. College FB rules.

What's worse than a game being decided, after a couple hours of hard fought on the ice/grass combat, by a skater going one on one with the goalie? Seems to penalize a team with a great offense and a poor goalie and reward teams with great goalies and suckage everywhere else.

Here's what I suggest for the non-BBall games:

For Soccer and Hockey (defensive oriented games).
Start a short overtime with the normal number of players. After 5 minutes, each team needs to remove one player from the field/ice. Overtimes continue with one less player each time until an overtime ends with a winner decided. Could be instant death or play to clock ends. You've gotta picture the 2 on 2 plus the goalie in hockey. No good? 1 on 1 plus goalie. Can't decide it? Put the puck at center ice with the goalies in their respective nets and blow the whistle - somebody gonna score son. Goalie plus Ronaldo versus goalie plus Messi. Could get Messy.

For football - start a five minute overtime with 8 players per side. Next period, down to 5. Eventually you'll have Brady behind a center with Gronkowski in the wide out spot against a nose tackle, a DB, and a linebacker.

For baseball, push the mound back 3 feet for every extra inning a team doesn't score.

For basketball - leave it alone. Uconn Syr going 6 OT was one of the most exciting sporting events I have witness, notwithstanding the fact that the Orange pulp won it.

Reaction Score
College football rules are kind of a farce, if you ask me.

The NFL has it absolutely right.

Reaction Score
Yeah, giving each team an equal chance in overtime is a farce.:(

Huh? The NFL rules give you a chance as long as you don't give up an 80 yard drive. If the opposition kicks a FG, you get a chance. So far the NFL rules have worked out great for all involved. Much more fair than the college rules which give teams with good kickers an advantage. I'd rather the offense count a little more than automatically giving a team FG position to start a drive.

Reaction Score
well in that case... baseball is the only sport that has great overtime. Decide that shi* on the field until the game ends. one team is gonna be more tired than the other and allow a double, HR, etc

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
any word if the game will be televised?

As of right now, I don't see anything listed on TV. But it seems like UVA will be streaming the game live from their website. I'll confirm later in the week if I hear anything else.

Follow The Uconn Blog's coverage of the soccer team here www.theuconnblog.com/

Reaction Score
Here's the problem. Let's say you run in a road race, but you have no way of knowing if you are running a 5K, a 10K or a Marathon. How fast do you run?

Now picture yourself being a soccer player with no idea how much overtime you are going to have to play. It's tied 1-1 with 10 minutes left in the second half. Do you take chances running forward, or do you sit back and conserve energy? If you know where the finish line is for a road race, you can run accordingly - and in soccer, you can sell out on some hard sprints late in the game knowing that you will only have to run for 5-10 more minutes.

The game would suffer if you don't give the players an idea for how much time they have left. They'd just sit back and jog around.

There's really no great answer for soccer. In the old days (pre-TV) they just played the game again a few days later, but that's an impossibility for this day and age.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem. Let's say you run in a road race, but you have no way of knowing if you are running a 5K, a 10K or a Marathon. How fast do you run?

Now picture yourself being a soccer player with no idea how much overtime you are going to have to play. It's tied 1-1 with 10 minutes left in the second half. Do you take chances running forward, or do you sit back and conserve energy? If you know where the finish line is for a road race, you can run accordingly - and in soccer, you can sell out on some hard sprints late in the game knowing that you will only have to run for 5-10 more minutes.

The game would suffer if you don't give the players an idea for how much time they have left. They'd just sit back and jog around.

There's really no great answer for soccer. In the old days (pre-TV) they just played the game again a few days later, but that's an impossibility for this day and age.

Why not golden goal?

Reaction Score
Why not golden goal?

College soccer is golden goal. International did it that way for a while and went back to playing out the entire overtime a few years ago.

Indefinite overtime in soccer would have a risk of remaining scoreless for a long while. The college soccer rules have evolved a bit - they used to play 4OT of 15 minutes each in the postseason before PKs, which sometimes wasn't enough. In the 1980's, there was a conference championship game that went 8 overtimes (10 minutes each). Ultimately, they decided to reduce it to a maximum of 20 minutes for the safety of student-athletes (maybe 10 years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom