Men's CBB corruption thread | The Boneyard

Men's CBB corruption thread

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Will listen to the press conferences but I'm not sure how strong of a case the FBI has here. Coaches accepting money from shoe companies is nothing new and it would be impractical for a coach to advise a player Not to go with the shoe company that's paying that particular coach. Second the NBA & NCAA loosened up the rules a few years back regarding testing the waters so that players can get realistic NBA feedback on things like draft position or the likelihood of a player getting drafted at all. The coaches are heavily involved in that process so I'm not sure how you can separate advice about going pro from advice about signing a shoe deal etc.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the elements of this story that I find fascinating is that it's always the assistant coaches that are the bag men on these schemes giving the head coaches "plausible deniability."

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
One prominent name mentioned is Chuck Person, who had a lengthy and successful NBA career primarily with the Indiana Pacers. Also played at Auburn.

Nicknamed "the Rifleman" - thought it was for his shooting ability, but his middle name is Connors, and he was named after Chuck Connors, the Rifleman on TV. (Chuck Connors played in the NBA as well as major league baseball.) Chuck Connors Person, the Rifleman.

Wonder how many people named their kids after the Rifleman. Probably more than Soupy Sales.

Maybe looking for a new nickname now. The bagman?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Does the Louisville's men's basketball program get the death penalty after this? This on the heels of the hooker scandal.

This is going to get very ugly

UPDATE: Second U of L coach, recruit appear linked to federal bribery investigation
Nope. Only way that happens is if the NCAA retroactively applies academic progress rates and Louisville failed to meet them in the past. Then and only then might some harsh penalties be handed down. I think at most they will be penalized one stripper pole from the players lounge.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One of the elements of this story that I find fascinating is that it's always the assistant coaches that are the bag men on these schemes giving the head coaches "plausible deniability."

True, but I just read the adidas complaint and Coach-2 in the complaint appears to be Pitino. He's not charged ...yet, but allegations in the complaint surely suggest he knew about the payments to Bowen's family.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Probably not because this is still the NCAA , as in no action for a couple decades of academic fraud at UNC.
UNC can get away with things that Louisville and most other universities cannot. If Louisville had done the same things UNC is charged with they would have been given the death penalty.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UNC can get away with things that Louisville and most other universities cannot. If Louisville had done the same things UNC is charged with they would have been given the death penalty.
Why is that the case? Just curious.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One prominent name mentioned is Chuck Person, who had a lengthy and successful NBA career primarily with the Indiana Pacers. Also played at Auburn.

Nicknamed "the rifleman" for his shooting ability. Maybe looking for a new nickname now. The bagman?:rolleyes:

The head coach at Auburn is Bruce Pearl. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
what a shocker indeed...............I have been lamenting the shady world of college recruiting for many years........this is just tip of the iceberg stuff............I would go as far as to say the majority of five star recruits are to some extent involved in this kind of stuff.........it's common knowledge on the AAU circuits...........that's why I laugh at the NCAA and their handling of these situations

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True, but I just read the adidas complaint and Coach-2 in the complaint appears to be Pitino. He's not charged ...yet, but allegations in the complaint surely suggest he knew about the payments to Bowen's family.
I have no doubt that Pitino knew about the payments, but he is one squirrelly SOB. I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino walks. Maybe Louisville finally lets him go, but he'll end up with another head coaching gig somewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom