Men against boys, experience against inexperience | The Boneyard

Men against boys, experience against inexperience

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
5 returning starters vs 2 returning rotation players, and our bigs being in foul trouble didn't help

Didn't like getting beat down, but it's just not something I'm overly concerned about. The team has to grow together, the coaches have to see who does what in certain circumstances and learn about their rotation. the players have to learn their rolls, the freshmen have to learn to play at a new level and both Gilbert and Larrier are returning from season ending injuries.

They've practiced with the coaches for TEN DAYS

Chill, this team is going to be fine, but it's going to take time

Reaction Score
Ollie specifically asked us to have patience with Larrier.

Unfortunately, patience is not our specialty.

The good news is that there is plenty of talent on the roster. Above all, they need to stay healthy. Playing the odds, a couple people will step up and deliver.

Reaction Score
Been a UConn BBall fan since about 85. It's been very tough finding motivation to watch over the last few years (including a disappointing trip to the Bahamas). Last night I became disinterested fairly quickly.
This reminds me of a bad relationship I was in for a few years a long time ago. Fresh start after fresh start. New admonitions to be patient - change was coming. Things would be different this time.
Then a new party or a new dance or a wedding . . . and it all ended the same, which is to say badly.
I miss Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Been a UConn BBall fan since about 85. It's been very tough finding motivation to watch over the last few years (including a disappointing trip to the Bahamas). Last night I became disinterested fairly quickly.
This reminds me of a bad relationship I was in for a few years a long time ago. Fresh start after fresh start. New admonitions to be patient - change was coming. Things would be different this time.
Then a new party or a new dance or a wedding . . . and it all ended the same, which is to say badly.
I miss Jim Calhoun.

You gained all that from a charity basketball game?

When Adams missed that layup, I'm positive I wasn't thinking about Jim Calhoun. It was what it was. Practice.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think the game provided a great opportunity for the kids to see what's ahead of them, something very rare for October 25th (maybe the first and only time ever)

The experience can only help

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
We have five more exhibition games before the season starts people. By that time the staff should have an idea of the rotations and minutes. Plus we should ( hopefully) get our experienced Big man back ( David O.). Can we at least allow the coaches that amount of time to get things in order?

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ollie specifically asked us to have patience with Larrier.

Unfortunately, patience is not our specialty.
Ollie was unambiguous in that request. It concerned me when I read it. I completely forgot this when I watched last night, and it makes great sense in the context of what I saw last night.

By clear and convincing evidence, we stink at patience.

Reaction Score
Ollie was unambiguous in that request. It concerned me when I read it. I completely forgot this when I watched last night, and it makes great sense in the context of what I saw last night.

At the same rate, Ollie isn’t in a position where he has much time. They simply cannot start anywhere near as badly as they did last year, or he’s a dead man coaching. But as frustrating as last night was, Larrier and Gilbert deserve the patience from us.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is a good post, and I don't know the answer to the question you posed other than to say that your observation is shared by others here & others aren't fans of the offense either.

Reaction Score

Ollie is a good talker but it's put up time for him. There isn't room for patience, another poor start to the season and we basically have no shot at the tournament. Another disappointing season with no tournament and the administration will be all out of patience for Ollie.

Reaction Score
KO not only introduced his team to the public but to each other. What's this about ten days of practice? Has not this team been practicing together since Oct 1? What we saw is what happens when a well-coached college basketball team confronts a ragtag group of pickups. To merely accuse KO of trying to run pro sets with a bunch of high-schoolers is too kind. They are uncoached on every level. The one thing that can be said in their defense is that you cannot expect a team to defend against the three when they have never encountered a three-point shooter in their practice sessions.

Reaction Score
You would have to be blind not to see the size and strength differential last night, forget about the score. It looked like we ate celery and they ate steak. This is not a new problem, we are usually the skinniest team out there sometimes even when we play Div2. Our guards are talented but also on the small side, I know that it is what it is but it’s an ongoing problem IMO.

Reaction Score
Larrier was living up to his VCU "chucker" reputation last night, but we absolutely need to give him some time. I just hope that while he shakes the rust off and gets comfortable with his knee he starts to look for his teammates too.

Reaction Score
You would have to be blind not to see the size and strength differential last night, forget about the score. It looked like we ate celery and they ate steak. This is not a new problem, we are usually the skinniest team out there sometimes even when we play Div2. Our guards are talented but also on the small side, I know that it is what it is but it’s an ongoing problem IMO.

In all seriousness, the guys will look a lot sturdier in their white or gray uniforms than they did in dark blue. Ladies have always worn dark colors for their slimming effect. Why, even Cobb looked puny.

Reaction Score
Becoming clear that we lack height as well as brawn. Cobb is no more than 6-7, and Diarra keeps shrinking before your eyes. I doubt he is more than 6-6. I do think Polley and Whaley are bona-fide 6-8's and Carlton an actual 6-9. Onuorah is easily the "truest" big man at 6-9, 245 and right now looks like our best chance for an inside defensive presence. Not that KO is looking for such. He seems very inclined to small ball, with Whaley seeing a lot of action at center last night.

Reaction Score
I just don't see UConn ever having a very good offense again under KO. In 2014, Bazz refused to lose and that carried UConn. Since then, it always seems to be a struggle, even against teams with far less talent on paper. I realize it's early and this team needs some time to gel, but I will be surprised if this is a good season. Not trying to be a pessimist, just being honest.

Reaction Score
The one thing that can be said in their defense is that you cannot expect a team to defend against the three when they have never encountered a three-point shooter in their practice sessions.
Ouch, but true.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, the guys will look a lot sturdier in their white or gray uniforms than they did in dark blue. Ladies have always worn dark colors for their slimming effect. Why, even Cobb looked puny.
Not sure if high level sarcasm . . . holding out on the "like." Lol.

Reaction Score
Ollie is a good talker but it's put up time for him. There isn't room for patience, another poor start to the season and we basically have no shot at the tournament. Another disappointing season with no tournament and the administration will be all out of patience for Ollie.
Gotta agree with SJ on this one. It's now or never for Ollie, at least at UConn (and I'd project any high level D-1).

Reaction Score
Forget the offense for a moment, this is the third year in a row where no one knows where to be on defense. Each year, by the time they figure it out, we've lost just about every important game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom