Men against boys, experience against inexperience | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men against boys, experience against inexperience

Reaction Score
There were tons of teachable moments last night and clearly effort didn't seem to be there in the second half. With that being said, while I think we still would've lost, it would not have been a 15-20pt type loss (more like a 5-10) if our shooting was anywhere near close to halfway normal. we shot 29% from the floor in the first half. 29. And 17% from 3. PC shot almost 70% from both and ended +50 from 3 by the end. You can't come back from that level of awful shooting. When Adams misses a layup after a steal he created, you know you're having a bad night at the net.

Reaction Score
Ollie should stick to his 10 toes in motivational speeches and stay away from the offense. Players ( excluding Vital) are shooting like Ollie did...ugly.

Reaction Score
PC was without 2 starters from last year + a key rotation player in Maliek White.

Reaction Score
You would have to be blind not to see the size and strength differential last night, forget about the score. It looked like we ate celery and they ate steak. This is not a new problem, we are usually the skinniest team out there sometimes even when we play Div2. Our guards are talented but also on the small side, I know that it is what it is but it’s an ongoing problem IMO.
So true, and there is no indication of change. Our recruits (sans Likunas) are on the slender side, our S&C coach gone (seems like he has been gone for quite some time).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Larrier was living up to his VCU "chucker" reputation last night, but we absolutely need to give him some time. I just hope that while he shakes the rust off and gets comfortable with his knee he starts to look for his teammates too.

I don't understand this at all. Why would a player need to be 100% before starts looking for his teammates. Ollie's teams don't play team ball, that's what bothers me the most.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Been a UConn BBall fan since about 85. It's been very tough finding motivation to watch over the last few years (including a disappointing trip to the Bahamas). Last night I became disinterested fairly quickly.
This reminds me of a bad relationship I was in for a few years a long time ago. Fresh start after fresh start. New admonitions to be patient - change was coming. Things would be different this time.
Then a new party or a new dance or a wedding . . . and it all ended the same, which is to say badly.
I miss Jim Calhoun.

I don't know why you miss him. It seems like he was a terrible boyfriend.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this at all. Why would a player need to be 100% before starts looking for his teammates. Ollie's teams don't play team ball, that's what bothers me the most.

I agree. I meant give him time to get better, but yes he absolutely needs to look for teammates not be a ball hog. But it’s just one exhibition game

Reaction Score
PC was without 2 starters from last year + a key rotation player in Maliek White.

So if those guys play in March maybe you can win your 2nd tourney game in the last 20 years

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
At the same rate, Ollie isn’t in a position where he has much time. They simply cannot start anywhere near as badly as they did last year, or he’s a dead man coaching. But as frustrating as last night was, Larrier and Gilbert deserve the patience from us.
Didn't he sign a five year contract extension last year????

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, the guys will look a lot sturdier in their white or gray uniforms than they did in dark blue. Ladies have always worn dark colors for their slimming effect. Why, even Cobb looked puny.
?????????

Reaction Score
We have five more exhibition games before the season starts people. By that time the staff should have an idea of the rotations and minutes. Plus we should ( hopefully) get our experienced Big man back ( David O.). Can we at least allow the coaches that amount of time to get things in order?
A friend of mine (former Div 1 basketball player) saw David O. play in the summer league and told me not to expect anything out of him and that he doesn't do anything well. One persons opinion but a knowledgeable one so take it for what it is worth.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine (former Div 1 basketball player) saw David O. play in the summer league and told me not to expect anything out of him and that he doesn't do anything well. One persons opinion but a knowledgeable one so take it for what it is worth.

I saw him play at the Pro-Am and stated the exact same thing in a thread a couple of months ago.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Ok. If that's true He'd look significantly better coming off the bench for Carlton and Cobb.

Reaction Score
Ollie specifically asked us to have patience with Larrier.

Unfortunately, patience is not our specialty.

The good news is that there is plenty of talent on the roster. Above all, they need to stay healthy. Playing the odds, a couple people will step up and deliver.

"Plenty of talent on the roster"?

No idea how this year goes but I just don't understand the lowering of the bar around here. When I went to UConn you had 3 NBA players in the starting lineup and a couple of others coming off the bench. There is NOT "plenty of talent" on this roster.

C

Chief00

Becoming clear that we lack height as well as brawn. Cobb is no more than 6-7, and Diarra keeps shrinking before your eyes. I doubt he is more than 6-6. I do think Polley and Whaley are bona-fide 6-8's and Carlton an actual 6-9. Onuorah is easily the "truest" big man at 6-9, 245 and right now looks like our best chance for an inside defensive presence. Not that KO is looking for such. He seems very inclined to small ball, with Whaley seeing a lot of action at center last night.

Quite frankly, if you play small ball, someone needs to know how to shoot.

Reaction Score
This is a 15 win team. Maybe. And i want so much to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Last night was like an NBA All Star game. Neither team played good defense. PC hit their open shots and UConn missed theirs (including a number of bunnies at the basket).

Reaction Score
5 returning starters vs 2 returning rotation players, and our bigs being in foul trouble didn't help

Didn't like getting beat down, but it's just not something I'm overly concerned about. The team has to grow together, the coaches have to see who does what in certain circumstances and learn about their rotation. the players have to learn their rolls, the freshmen have to learn to play at a new level and both Gilbert and Larrier are returning from season ending injuries.

They've practiced with the coaches for TEN DAYS

Chill, this team is going to be fine, but it's going to take time
I have all ESPN channels , CBS SPORTS NETWORK but no SNY so ill be able to catch just about every single game except for 5 so i just want to enjoy the season and watch my boys on a regular basis. Between the bs tv schedule and my work schedule ive missed far too many games over the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
This is a 15 win team. Maybe. And i want so much to be wrong.

If that's the case, KO is gone.

Yes, he stemmed the exodus of players and now has guys who actually want to be here, but they are much more "quantity" than "quality". It's not like cutting KO loose would jeopardize us getting some stud blue-chip talent.

We'll see what happens on the court.

Reaction Score
"Plenty of talent on the roster"?

No idea how this year goes but I just don't understand the lowering of the bar around here. When I went to UConn you had 3 NBA players in the starting lineup and a couple of others coming off the bench. There is NOT "plenty of talent" on this roster.
Its not a lowering of the bar. College basketball teams aren't as good in general as the great UConn teams of the past. Unless you are kentucky or duke you arent going to have 3 NBA players in your starting 5. This team has just as much "talent" as the 2014 team. Now the question is can KO cultivate it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom