Memphis Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Memphis Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

The bold can't happen. I hope it doesn't as well.
Should have been 14. There were at least 2, but more likely 3, blown layups off great passes. And her passes are on the money, and to where the recipient will be so they can maintain their speed and direction. And we're also seeing how quickly she gets rid of the ball when she spots the open man.
Whoever stated earlier this year that she's "slow mentally and physically" needs to offer an apology because it sure looks as if Geno disagrees with that assessment and Anna is disproving it in spades.

You don't think she is slow? _ I think she is great for a frosh and you don't need to be fast. DT wasn't fast. Sue Bird wasn't fast. Larry bird wasn't fast. I think AM is slow. But so what? SHe is terrfic for a frosh. I'm not sure how fast Jon Stockton was - but at least later in his career I'm sure he wasn't very fast. But he still was all-time great. AM is playing terrific for a frosh. SO what if she is slow. Her passing is special just like many, many great players. I love love love watching her play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anna's passing was of course spectacular but I am a bit worried that SC whose guards really have active hands on Defense, will cause alot of trouble with her 1 handed passing style. That will be some test.

Reaction Score

The bold can't happen. I hope it doesn't as well.

You don't think she is slow? _ I think she is great for a frosh and you don't need to be fast. DT wasn't fast. Sue Bird wasn't fast. Larry bird wasn't fast. I think AM is slow. But so what? SHe is terrfic for a frosh. I'm not sure how fast Jon Stockton was - but at least later in his career I'm sure he wasn't very fast. But he still was all-time great. AM is playing terrific for a frosh. SO what if she is slow. Her passing is special just like many, many great players. I love love love watching her play.
[/QUOTE]

Why direct this stream of vitriol at me?
It should have been easily understood that the "slow" comment I was quoting was from a post by someone else from about a month ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why direct this stream of vitriol at me?
It should have been easily understood that the "slow" comment I was quoting was from a post by someone else from about a month ago.

I didn't know about someone else. I didn't. You're right to go after them if they spoke of mentally and overall the context.
But my post wasn't meant to be vitriol. A good friend of mine outside of here- really good guy -
sort of doesn't like her because she is slow and I thought it possible you and some others don't like her because of it. I love her game. Seems like you do too. Peace from me to you!! :) .

Reaction Score
Throwback game. Everyone shined.

Anna is a passing phreak. I cannot get enough of her touch passes. She ignites things.

A word about how being "outbigged" hurts this team so much: when teams are big enough and skilled enough to deny Christyn, Megan and Anna their slashing, driving baskets, it takes both points and momentum from our team. Even if rebounding numbers aren't lopsided, we suffer against big, agile front lines which can defend the drive.

Reaction Score
It was beautiful basketball. You should watch the tape. Anna and Liv's passing were wonderful tonight. The passing was contagious and Aubrey defense and energy are infectious. Olivia, we hoped made some steps in her offense. Meg and Squeaks hit some 3 balls. Cyrstal did whatever had to be done as usual. One of the best plays was when Meg went to set a screen for Cyrstal and instead she faked the screen and play thru to the basket. Bingo pass and a layup.
I just finished watching the replay. I loved that play you referred to with Meg and CD which Meg Culmo called a "slip screen". There was another time later in the game where Meg ran an old fashioned "give and go" with ONO and got fouled on a lay up attempt. I did notice one thing though and it was that the overwhelming majority of the time when Meg sets a screen at the top of the key, the foul line or the foul line extended, she does not "roll" to the basket but rather waits for the "pick and pop". I wonder if that is by design so as not to clog the lane or Meg's choice. Geno yelled at her for not rolling on that one play with Anna where she was at the foul line and just stayed there and Anna's pass just went over her head. I hope she goes to the basket more after she screens from here on in. She is a strong finisher and can also shoot an 8 foot pull up. Favorite play by Megs was the crash offensive board and put back. Favorite pass by Anna, and there were several great ones, was the dish in the air to ONO on the fast break. They just became a lot of fun to watch again. If this is the new team identity we were waiting for, it was well worth the frustration and anxiety. This style of play brings them back into the conversation as a NC contender.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Uconn played Memphis a few short weeks ago and squeaked out a 12 point win. This was quite the turnaround.

Literally every starter and key reserve contributed in big ways. Olivia and Anna both showed they could play with 2 fouls for extended periods of time. Both had 2 early and Q2 and Olivia didn't pick up her 3rd till midway thru Q4. We showed we are at our best with only a 6 player rotation - starting Anna and bringing Aubrey off the bench.

Anna with 11 assists and 4 steals. She had a few TO's, but she seems to be getting better every game. I said it in the chat, and I will continue to say it all summer till November - she will be a starter next year. The 5th spot will come down to Bueckers or Westbrook.

Aubrey - 6 points, 3 blocks, 10 boards. This girl is a baller! I expect a big sophomore leap as she gets more comfortable understanding how our offense works, and develops a mid range jumper. So much upside. Her defense will be elite before she graduates.

Olivia didn't miss a single shot she took. Megan - 26 and 11. But possibly most important - the invasion of the body snatchers who replaced the old Christyn Williams with a new and improved version - 20 points on 7-12 shooting, and 4-6 from deep.

Probably the most impressive thing to me was the sharing of the ball. Anna seemed to be more of the distributor with Danger playing the 2G (till towards the end of the game when Crystal went off with assists) - off the ball. It worked tremendously. Every game i see improvements from Anna with regards to decision making and actual performance. Can't wait to see her next year as she gets her body in better physical shape so it can do what her brain wants it to.

How about Molly with 10 points? She's a really competent defensive player and on any team not in the top 15 or so, would either be a starter, or key reserve. So happy for her when she has a big game like this.

Happy to see Batouly in. It's clear this will be her last year so I hope she goes out with a bang. It's unclear why Kyla went from a starter to a mop-up reserve. I'd love to hear why - not sure the announcers said...

Overall a great game. Excellent tune up. I hope that they bring the same energy, intensity, and determination to Monday's game at SC. GO UCONN!!!
Re: Kyla, Geno said that experiment is over. They were getting off to too many slow starts.

Reaction Score
Call this a practice, not a game, and it showed how UConn needs to play. It’s usually absurd to dwell on what is “wrong” with a 19-2 team but those two losses are seen in light of previous years. We had four top five recruits on the floor. Why aren’t we blowing past other top five teams? What was the missing ingredient? We found the answer to that question Friday night—a teenager from Poland whose bb iq makes her the Einstein of basketball combined with incredible instincts and beautiful passes that allow those four to perform at the level we all knew was in them.

Yes, she had three turnovers to go along with those 11 assists and four steals—that needs repeating, 11 assists, four steals—but one of them was anticipating a player would go where the play required. Sure, she would have had 14 assists if layups had been made but that happens in every game. Not every great pass ends in a basket. Will she repeat that performance? Probably. Geno said he was waiting for her to reach her potential when he took her starting role away early in the season. But remember when all Geno would say was Anna was known in Europe as a shooter.

So did she suddenly discover she could pass with the best? I don’t think so. It was always there. In those first handful of games she led the team in assists. The first moment I saw her I thought she was the one and since then I have directed my primary focus to her in games and while she made freshwoman mistakes, her play only reinforced my initial opinion. We hear a lot about how Paige will come in and revive the program. I’m sure she’s good, defense aside, and I hope she lives up to the hype. If she does, put her on the floor with Anna and Meg, CW and Liv will set UConn scoring records.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if Anna returns to Poland for summer or stays in Storrs.

Geno in pregame alluded to her working on her game and weights etc. So he clearly wants her in Storrs. Let her go home for a few weeks and then crush it in Storrs and send her home again late summer. Everybody is happy.

Reaction Score
Geno in pregame alluded to her working on her game and weights etc. So he clearly wants her in Storrs. Let her go home for a few weeks and then crush it in Storrs and send her home again late summer. Everybody is happy.
Right on. Let’s hope also that her folks can make a trip go U.S. to see her play in person.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Call this a practice, not a game, and it showed how UConn needs to play. It’s usually absurd to dwell on what is “wrong” with a 19-2 team but those two losses are seen in light of previous years. We had four top five recruits on the floor. Why aren’t we blowing past other top five teams? What was the missing ingredient? We found the answer to that question Friday night—a teenager from Poland whose bb iq makes her the Einstein of basketball combined with incredible instincts and beautiful passes that allow those four to perform at the level we all knew was in them.

Yes, she had three turnovers to go along with those 11 assists and four steals—that needs repeating, 11 assists, four steals—but one of them was anticipating a player would go where the play required. Sure, she would have had 14 assists if layups had been made but that happens in every game. Not every great pass ends in a basket. Will she repeat that performance? Probably. Geno said he was waiting for her to reach her potential when he took her starting role away early in the season. But remember when all Geno would say was Anna was known in Europe as a shooter.

So did she suddenly discover she could pass with the best? I don’t think so. It was always there. In those first handful of games she led the team in assists. The first moment I saw her I thought she was the one and since then I have directed my primary focus to her in games and while she made freshwoman mistakes, her play only reinforced my initial opinion. We hear a lot about how Paige will come in and revive the program. I’m sure she’s good, defense aside, and I hope she lives up to the hype. If she does, put her on the floor with Anna and Meg, CW and Liv will set UConn scoring records.
Meg Culmo was 100% correct - the team’s struggles have nothing to do with talent, the problems are all between the players’ ears. The confidence waxes and wanes sometimes. But last night, Anna started the game with confidence and an attack mentality that seemed to affect the team as well. The passes are great, but her leadership in setting the tone was better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Meg Culmo was 100% correct - the team’s struggles have nothing to do with talent, the problems are all between the players’ ears. The confidence waxes and wanes sometimes. But last night, Anna started the game with confidence and an attack mentality that seemed to affect the team as well. The passes are great, but her leadership in setting the tone was better.
The other thing Meg was correct about is her statement that the good passing is contagious.
Anna's passing was inspirational to everyone and ONO even had a sweet touch pass from the left block to the right block.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watching the game last night, I noticed early on the Anna semed to be running the point. She was directing traffic and I saw good, consistant movement. Anna was taking a major leadership role last night and the teamed responded positively.

So I'm going to speculate a bit. We might be seeing the changing of the guard at the point. Crystal is a senior. Paige has yet to arrive. Anna looks like the one. Future games will tell. Anna and Christyn as a starting duo at guard can be a big plus. With the next class coming in, I like the thought of Anna and Christyn as the starting guards.

Now some complain that Anna is slow. Well compared to Crystal, Anna is slow and so are most. But foot speed isn't always a key ingredient. Anna is a big girl at 6' 1". She has a strong body. Her size is an advantage over smaller guards. She dribbles and weaves up the court with a smoothness and grace - always under control. Her passing is a thing of beauty. Her court vision and awareness is well above average.

Let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
While it probably won’t happen, it would be great if UConn could schedule Utah next season so the Makurat family could plan a trip to the US to watch both Anna & Ola at the same time.
Ola hasn’t been in boxscores lately. Anyone know why.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Regarding the comments on Anna's speed...

Sprinting speed is over rated. Maya was a terrific athlete, but she had slow feet. Once she got a head of steam, she was a gazelle, but watch her foot speed - she did not have quick feet. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is a MUCH slower player, but she has quick feet. When she gets up to a full head of steam, it's still ponderous, but her feet are quick. Molly is another good example of a player with quick feet. She's a solid defender and gets into passing lanes or gets steals because she has good instincts and her feet are quick.

The point I'm making is that IMHO quick feet are more important on defense. It's the only way to keep a defender in front of you. Anna is only a freshman and she will get better, but for all her lack of sprinting speed, her feet are fairly quick.

Anna has 28 steals this year. That' more than Christyn, and 4th on the team behind only Crystal (42), Megan (31) and Aubrey (30). Those steals are not evidence that she's "slow".

What I mean by that is that she can move them quickly to better stay in front of defenders. Of course she gets blown by on occasion - so does everyone else not named Crystal or Moriah. I don't disagree that Anna needs to work this summer on her fitness and diet - it will pay off big time next year and over the rest of her career.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but in an interview Geno said that her body is sore. Not from being bruised or injured, but because the the things she's being asked to do physically are more than she's ever been pushed to before. That's why I believe a summer of diet and fitness will pay off huge for her as she will be able to make her body do what her really smart basketball mind already knows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watching the game last night, I noticed early on the Anna semed to be running the point. She was directing traffic and I saw good, consistant movement. Anna was taking a major leadership role last night and the teamed responded positively.

So I'm going to speculate a bit. We might be seeing the changing of the guard at the point. Crystal is a senior. Paige has yet to arrive. Anna looks like the one. Future games will tell. Anna and Christyn as a starting duo at guard can be a big plus. With the next class coming in, I like the thought of Anna and Christyn as the starting guards.

Now some complain that Anna is slow. Well compared to Crystal, Anna is slow and so are most. But foot speed isn't always a key ingredient. Anna is a big girl at 6' 1". She has a strong body. Her size is an advantage over smaller guards. She dribbles and weaves up the court with a smoothness and grace - always under control. Her passing is a thing of beauty. Her court vision and awareness is well above average.

Let's see what happens.
I respectfully disagree. There is no axiom that states the assist leader has to be the point guard. Gabby Williams often led the team in assists, and no one ever suggested she should play point guard. Anna is too good a rebounder and inside defender to be out on the perimeter defensively. Besides, next year’s team will have Bueckers, Muhl and Westbrook to more naturally play that position.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. There is no axiom that states the assist leader has to be the point guard. Gabby Williams often led the team in assists, and no one ever suggested she should play point guard. Anna is too good a rebounder and inside defender to be out on the perimeter defensively. Besides, next year’s team will have Bueckers, Muhl and Westbrook to more naturally play that position.

I'm fine with the points you make. I said I was speculating. Again, let's see what happens.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You beat me to it. Just think @huskeynut is confusing a couple things. Crystal will remain the PG and Christyn will remain the SG. What happen last night was that Anna emerged as a secondary ball handler & more importantly Christyn Williams had a great game as the shooting guard. Anna is finally starting to understand the UCONN offense and her role in it. For Ann there is no longer that momentary confusion about where she has to be and where the other players are going to be. Touch passes like that don't come without that understanding. Another aspect of the offense that is coming along is the transition game. Until last night the team was entirely dependent on Crystal leading the transition. Before last night it was secure the rebound, find Crystal because no one else was trusted with the ball. Aubrey is coming along nicely in the offense also and Megan pushed the ball up the court in transition a couple of times. It is coming together very nicely without the players having to change positions.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Let's see what happens.

Geno addressed the Anna/Crystal duo a bit in the postgame presser. He sorta said that he isn't hung up on labels and when Anna is handling the ball it frees Crystal to be a scorer. Pregame Geno called Anna a "great play maker". A few days ago he said Anna's height gave her an ability to see the floor others might not have and the strength to get where she wanted to go.

Crystal is and will remain our PG, but the burden won't be so heavy with Anna to her right or left and if she trusts Anna we can get more open angles in a 2 pass play.

Reaction Score
This game was soooooo much fun!
Gonna rewatch it tomorrow! Anna’s passes were just WOW! I especially love the team play. Bravo gals! Take this game and bring it to SC! Play like yesterday and it’s gonna be
FUN to watch. Off to make tuna salad! Haha

Reaction Score
Anna is coming along but a basketball Einstein? LOL...s
not so fast..lol...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This guy had very average foot speed, but that didn't hamper him.

1581183488373.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom