Memphis/AAC Tourney Trip? | The Boneyard

Memphis/AAC Tourney Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been thinking that I need to get down to Memphis for the tournament but after these last few games it seems absurd not to. Has anyone else been investigating or even book yet? Flights seem to be around $500 but I'm having a hard time finding an affordable hotel near FedEx Forum.

Is UConn doing anything to get fans down there and make an impact?

Memphis BBQ, Southern girls, watching Shabazz and company beat up on the conference - I can hardly wait.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
FedExForum is a tourist area...so hotels are expensive...if you want a cheap room, book right across the bridge in West Memphis...or stay in the burbs (Germantown, Southaven, etc)

But the downtown experience is a lot of fun.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
OOoh. I hadn't even given it any thought. But man, I love good dry rub ribs, and there's nowhere that does them better than Memphis. The combo of dry rub ribs and some Bazzmagic® is awfully tempting.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Y'all stay away from the tourist traps: Corkys, Rendezvous, Graceland...

Beale is fun...visit Cooper-Young, Overton Square, Memphis Zoo...

If you want BBQ: Central BBQ, the BBQ Shop, Paynes, Interstate BBQ....Gus' Fried Chicken is great...Blues City Cafe on Beale is very good. (Try the ribs or catfish)

Reaction Score
Let me know if anything comes up may have a group interested in the trip.......thanks

Golf and hoops......I'M IN

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I booked the Residence Inn months ago, before they knew there was an big event in town. I booked a flight. All I need now is tickets. Any idea what the deal is if you want to buy them through UConn?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It'll be dependent on my job. But if I can swing it, I'm going. It wI'll be a great atmosphere. Memphis knows how to put on basketball events.

Reaction Score
I'm ready to go. Would love to get a hotel downtown with lots of Yarders. Mau got to meet you in Memphis!

Reaction Score
Y'all stay away from the tourist traps: Corkys, Rendezvous, Graceland...

Beale is fun...visit Cooper-Young, Overton Square, Memphis Zoo...

If you want BBQ: Central BBQ, the BBQ Shop, Paynes, Interstate BBQ....Gus' Fried Chicken is great...Blues City Cafe on Beale is very good. (Try the ribs or catfish)
Lived in Memphis for five years, midtown is Memphis, agree with a lot of this EXCEPT rendezvous. Place is awesome.

Gus is a must, so are the BBQ nachoes at central. Flying saucer has a great beer selection almost 200 on tap

You left out the best place in town (depending how old you are) Hollywood raifords.

Reaction Score
Outstanding weather time of year in memphis. Since you need a rental car anyway stay in midtown or farther out is not that far. In the breakfast places they serve platters of hot biscuits and honey (mouth now watering). If there were no tourney it's worth going for the chicken and ribs. Beale street closes off on weekends ata night to cars and they sell BigAss Beer legally on the street but can't bring them into the clubs.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Lived in Memphis for five years, midtown is Memphis, agree with a lot of this EXCEPT rendezvous. Place is awesome.

Gus is a must, so are the BBQ nachoes at central. Flying saucer has a great beer selection almost 200 on tap

You left out the best place in town (depending how old you are) Hollywood raifords.

The atmosphere at rendezvous is great...but I think raifords closed down.

Reaction Score
The atmosphere at rendezvous is great...but I think raifords closed down.
It moved, still downtown, same scene. Was down there about six months ago.

Zinnies and blue monkey are other good bars in midtown

Reaction Score
I've been thinking that I need to get down to Memphis for the tournament but after these last few games it seems absurd not to. Has anyone else been investigating or even book yet? Flights seem to be around $500 but I'm having a hard time finding an affordable hotel near FedEx Forum.

Is UConn doing anything to get fans down there and make an impact?

Memphis BBQ, Southern girls, watching Shabazz and company beat up on the conference - I can hardly wait.
There are 10 of us that are going down. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Beale street. Supposedly only 3 blocks away from Fed-ex center . Booked this a few months ago , so our flights were in the high 200 to low 300's on Southwest air.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
There are 10 of us that are going down. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Beale street. Supposedly only 3 blocks away from Fed-ex center . Booked this a few months ago , so our flights were in the high 200 to low 300's on Southwest air.

You're going to have a blast...you're staying at a really nice hotel next to Hooters and Peaybody Place...maybe a 3-4 min walk to Beale and FedExForum.

Reaction Score
I am bringing crew from Atlanta and elsewhere. We will have to find a place to hook up for a drink.

Reaction Score
You're going to have a blast...you're staying at a really nice hotel next to Hooters and Peaybody Place...maybe a 3-4 min walk to Beale and FedExForum.
Do you think we need to rent a car? Or is public transportation / cabs going to do it for us. We are staying from Thursday to Tuesday , so we will have time to check out Memphis. The wives definitely wants to get to Graceland, what else would you recommend? Also what restaurants / bars should we be considering. The 10 of us have done many UConn ( football and hoop) road trips over the years and we love exploring the cities we are in. Let me know of hidden gems that most tourist would not know of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance.

Reaction Score
I am bringing crew from Atlanta and elsewhere. We will have to find a place to hook up for a drink.
A friend ( UConn roommate) of mine from Atlanta and his son ( attending Georgia Tech) will be meeting us in Memphis. Definitely need to find a bar on Beale Street to have a drink.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Rent a car...public transit sucks here, and cabs are very expensive.

Overton Square and Cooper-Young are where Memphians go...Beale is fun, but it's mostly tourists.

Boscos and Local are great at Overton Square (get the made in house Flaming Stone beer from Boscos)

Sweet Grass, Young Ave Deli (it's also a nightclub), and Soul Fish Cafe are great...they're at Cooper-Young

Central BBQ and the BBQ Shop are very good.

Go get a drink at the Peaybody and checkout the rooftop

The main attraction will be the Memphis Zoo...it's really the cities gem.

Graceland is cool...but it's a bad part of town...just a heads up.

Sun Studios is a fun tour...takes maybe an hour or so.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Oh...you guys should meet up at either Silky's on Beale...or Flying Saucer right off Beale.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Oh...you would never think to eat there from the outside...but Pete and Sam's is amazing Italian food...it's on park ave near getwell

Reaction Score
Oh...you would never think to eat there from the outside...but Pete and Sam's is amazing Italian food...it's on park ave near getwell
Thanks for all the info. If anything else comes to mind let me know. Greatly looking forward to trip.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
One more...best BBQ in the city isn't on a bun or plate...it's on Elvis' favorite pizza at Coletta's (BBQ pizza)...go to the one on South Parkway...yes, it's in tha hood...but it's amazing.

1063 S. Parkway

Reaction Score
Bookmarking this for future reference.

On Southwest.com I found a round trip flight for about $350 Thursday-Sunday leaving from Bradley.
A decently priced hotel I found is about a mile from FedEx called the Crowne Plaza Memphis. Doesn't look to bad.
I'll give UConn a call and check about ticket packages and even hotel/flight packages. If they want us to travel like the other blue blood schools, this is a good way to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom