Memorable calls in basketball- one phrase, try not using vids | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Memorable calls in basketball- one phrase, try not using vids

Reaction Score
The McDonough” Hamilton”, Cardiac Kemba and Jim Nantz’s “For the championship…”

Reaction Score
does he say "against Bill Buckner" or "it gets through Buckner"?

I listed to it on YouTube. It was hard to discern. Could have been the latter, but one of the most incredible outcomes in MLB history. Absolutely wild.

Reaction Score
“Nothing was ever given to him. He started with nothing and had to grind every step of the way.”

If you haven’t listened in awhile to Nantz talking about the GOAT after the 1999 title game, it’s worth it.

Reaction Score
“Nothing was ever given to him. He started with nothing and had to grind every step of the way.”

If you haven’t listened in awhile to Nantz talking about the GOAT after the 1999 title game, it’s worth it.
Thanks, just listened.

Reaction Score
"One second left. Just one second left to try and pull off a miracle..."
Did he also say,”It’s late, It’s great, it’s Tate!”?

Can’t remember if the announcer said that, or if it was a headline in the Courant the next day. Either way, that was the play that sucked me into being a forever fan of UConn bball. I was SO convinced as a kid that they had lost the game, that I went up my bedroom before the final play. Learned a hard lesson that day…never lose faith in the Huskies!

Reaction Score
Did he also say,”It’s late, It’s great, it’s Tate!”?

Can’t remember if the announcer said that, or if it was a headline in the Courant the next day. Either way, that was the play that sucked me into being a forever fan of UConn bball. I was SO convinced as a kid that they had lost the game, that I went up my bedroom before the final play. Learned a hard lesson that day…never lose faith in the Huskies!

My memory is that the "It's late..." was actually a newspaper headline... To do an offshoot of that, after we beat Nebraska in the tourney in maybe 91 or 92, a newspaper headline was "Husker Don't" which is a tremendous allusion to an insanely underrated band.

I'd add that most of Nantz's commentary in the last minute or so in the 99 game is extremely memorable. I always liked, cheesy as it is, "Just when you think you can't, you can, and UConn has won the national championship."

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I always liked, cheesy as it is, "Just when you think you can't, you can, and UConn has won the national championship."
Unpopular opinion, but I've always hated having that line as the enduring coda on our 1st NC.

Nantz had at least 48 hours and probably longer to come up with something (these things are not spontaneous) and that's the best he could do? It's not only cheesy, it's kinda demeaning. "Just when you think you can't"? Who on that team or staff ever let "we can't" enter their minds? No one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom