'member when people said Josh Carlton wouldn't play this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

'member when people said Josh Carlton wouldn't play this year?

Reaction Score
I think there's a site that lists all the lineups, not sure if they do it by game though. I can try to find that tomorrow. But this site has the play by play with all the subs so was easy to look up that way.

It's unbelievable the statistics that are kept, like this running account of all substitutions and game action, but I guess coaches and bettors use those stats.

Also takes a special mind to be able to sort out what's important and what's simply the equivalent of the "fog of war", especially if you're OC and have to look at anything and everything you can find.

Reaction Score
He had a double-double last night.

But he ain't good.
Luckily we don’t play in the powerful AAC. :rolleyes:
I was one of the few who thought Josh would rebound this year. I am so happy for him. It looks like he worked really hard over the summer. I like his role off the bench though so he doesn't pick up quick fouls.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I would say the best words to describe Carlton is situationally serviceable.
Good description. There are times where I say "That was a great move", and there are times where I say "How does this guy have a Division I scholarship?". Right now he's doing what we need him to do. Hopefully it continues as we get into the league grind. Sanogo has some really nice post moves but he's not quite there yet.

Reaction Score
“Because Josh is being pushed right now and having to earn every minute,” coach Dan Hurley said, “I think he’s got a high level of urgency.”

The team missed that the last few years. Everyone has to earn their minutes. Makes practices much more productive. Makes players pay more attention to details in games also. Just a much more productive team environment.

Reaction Score
The outlet pass was because the guard quit running up the court. The Cole pass was at his knees. But I'll give you the bunny.
20:43

Not sure how you can watch this and say it wasn't Josh's fault. He threw it 15 feet in front of Gaffney. Gaffney didn't stop running, he never actually started.

You're right that the Cole pass was bad, but Josh didn't really make an effort at it either (although he may have seen it late).

Reaction Score

Not sure how you can watch this and say it wasn't Josh's fault. He threw it 15 feet in front of Gaffney. Gaffney didn't stop running, he never actually started.

You're right that the Cole pass was bad, but Josh didn't really make an effort at it either (although he may have seen it late).

It's a point guard's job to know who his other four players are. Carlton was never going to make that play, and the pass should never have been thrown. Are there players who could have made the cut hard, kept going and caught a ball thrown through traffic while running at full speed? Of course there are. But that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. Carlton won't make that play in ten attempts, so you can't throw the pass.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Say what you want about Carlton, but the choice should not be which of Carlton, Whaley or Sanogo plays more minutes at 5. UConn played half of last night in 3 guard. That is fine against DePaul, but it cost UConn the Creighton game, and is not a lineup that UConn should expect to be successful with against better teams.

Reaction Score
It was DePaul. No matter the player, this board never looks at the player as whole season/career. They get juiced up after one game.
He played well against USC and they have legit bigs. Carlton is our best lost player using some good moves and his length inside to score. He is adequate defensively as his length helps with his lack of footapeed. He has also been rebounding too and that is a great plus. With Josh, whaley and sanago we have options at the 5.

Reaction Score
Angry Josh played well. If angry Josh can be consistently angry, that would work.

Reaction Score
Kudos to him for the self-realization that he had to step his game up more than a notch, which he appears to have accomplished.... Now if he would only learn to dunk the damn ball instead of launching some of the bricks he does when he is close-in to the hoop....

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Carlton, but the choice should not be which of Carlton, Whaley or Sanogo plays more minutes at 5. UConn played half of last night in 3 guard. That is fine against DePaul, but it cost UConn the Creighton game, and is not a lineup that UConn should expect to be successful with against better teams.
How many times do we have to have the same record repeated?

Reaction Score

That was half his turnovers last night.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of game by game evaluations. This guy will never score again, that guy turned the corner. And the reverse for the next game. In Josh’s case, he’s actually been decent all year since his opening game bench warming. Even against Creighton where for whatever reason he didn’t get a lot of time. He played ok.

In Sanogo’s case, he’s a freshman going through a totally screwed up preseason and season. I want to see how he does if the team can get into some regular schedule and routine.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Josh is what he is. He is not a great athlete but he does the stuff we need a big man to do.

Agree on the hedges.
The game is what it is, thus if he is in the game PnRoll, he must hedge. The aggression our bigs show pose a significant challenge to teams looking to create and score off of pick and roll scenarios.

My observation is that our big hedges are distinctly aggressive relative to other programs. We often have Carlton and Whaley covering territory in pnroll similar to Nova's Robinson-Earl who has that capability. This aggressiveness cuts time off the clock and forces low-percentage shots to the delight of Coach Hurley.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He isn‘t a great athlete. But the skills of back to the basket scoring are a lost art. He has them. Very few opponents have any real idea of how to stop those old Kevin McHale era moves. I don’t know who taught Josh that stuff, but somebody did.
Yessir.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I remember when Ricky Moore sucked. Then he was good. Then he really sucked and should transfer. Then he was really good. Then he should be benched. Then 77-74, and some posters here

backing up homer simpson GIF

Reaction Score
I thought he was awful last year. It's nice to see him playing pretty well. He is a solid role player for this team.

I still think his development was incredibly hindered by lacking any real competition in practice. He often looks like a guy who practice with smaller guys. He doesn't appear to jump on putbacks or some of his rebounds, like he's just relies on his length.

Still, I'm glad to see him bounce back. Good for him. He was crushed by many, me included, last year ont hese boards.

Reaction Score
Wrong. He is good, he's just not great. Josh is an important piece for Hurley and the Huskies. He is the best true center on the team. And right now, Sanogo looks like a project.
Sanogo a project? I respectfully disagree. Hes a talented player with a bright future which seems to be the opinion of most people on him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom