Megan Will Be The Key to Next Season's Success | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Megan Will Be The Key to Next Season's Success

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If all is well, I think Coombs will be a very pleasant surprise.....she's probably the best athlete on the team and just needs time on the court

I sure hope so. I think we could ALL use some "pleasant surprises" here in the yard, now through the rest of the year. I know I could!!! :oops:

Reaction Score
I sure hope so. I think we could ALL use some "pleasant surprises" here in the yard, now through the rest of the year. I know I could!!! :oops:

just concentrate on the first four words of my sentence and keep your fingers crossed..........

Reaction Score
If all is well, I think Coombs will be a very pleasant surprise.....she's probably the best athlete on the team and just needs time on the court
Dear Charlie, I sincerely hope you are correct. By my observation, however, there is an enormous, and likely uncorrectable flaw in Coombs' game; specifically her outside shot is hopeless. It is hopeless to the point that, after seeing her shoot it three times, I said, " she will never hit a three point shot at UCONN." I know this is preposterous, but I use exaggeration to make a point. Take a look at the tape; her outside shot begins at mid-waist level. She " flicks " the ball ( only term that fits ) toward the basket, with two hands. But the fact is; her eyes, the ball and the hoop never line up. So it is pure luck if the shot happens to find the rim, the backboard, or anything within the arena. She never made a three all year, by the way. I think it is far too late to correct this approach.

Now, perhaps, someone will go back ( please do ) to her HS performances, and document that shooting threes was a strength.

As I said, I want to be wrong here. But, from what I have seen , she is a guard without an outside shot. And she played so little, she is basically a freshman again. So it is hard to see her as a starter, despite her athleticism.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dear Charlie, I sincerely hope you are correct. By my observation, however, there is an enormous, and likely uncorrectable flaw in Coombs' game; specifically her outside shot is hopeless. It is hopeless to the point that, after seeing her shoot it three times, I said, " she will never hit a three point shot at UCONN." I know this is preposterous, but I use exaggeration to make a point. Take a look at the tape; her outside shot begins at mid-waist level. She " flicks " the ball ( only term that fits ) toward the basket, with two hands. But the fact is; her eyes, the ball and the hoop never line up. So it is pure luck if the shot happens to find the rim, the backboard, or anything within the arena. She never made a three all year, by the way. I think it is far too late to correct this approach.

Now, perhaps, someone will go back ( please do ) to her HS performances, and document that shooting threes was a strength.

As I said, I want to be wrong here. But, from what I have seen , she is a guard without an outside shot. And she played so little, she is basically a freshman again. So it is hard to see her as a starter, despite her athleticism.
Mikayla did hit 1 triple this season and was ranked 13th by ESPN coming out of HS. On just about all of the HS evaluations she is described as, “explosive combo guard who delivers at the rim and at the mid range.”

Unfortunately, as you point out, none of the evaluations had much, if anything, to say about her outside shooting, which tells me she really wasn’t much of an outside shooter in HS.

From the limited minutes Mikayla has played, she appears to be a better-than-average ball handler and passer, and a potentially outstanding defender.

So here’s my thought on Mikayla. She may never be much of a shooter, but neither was Mo for her first 2 seasons, and the Gabulous one never was a great shooter.

If Mikayla can effectively handle the ball, penetrate to the basket, dish to her teammates and become a shut down defender, she can be a very effective player for the Huskies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, clearly Pheesa was wearing Christian Louboutin stilettos (Bergdorf Goodman - $875) while Megan had on Jimmy Choo pumps (Neiman Marcus - $1,045) and everyone knows that Louboutin designs a higher heel. Please don't ask me why I'm so well-versed on this topic. ;)
Game recognize game!
NMX3TEA_mk.jpg

Reaction Score

This is why she was wanted by UConn....................it's a real shame she was never unleashed to show her full capabilities.................can't guarantee that you will see it on the court next year either............

Reaction Score
This is why she was wanted by UConn.....it's a real shame she was never unleashed to show her full capabilities.......can't guarantee that you will see it on the court next year either..

Thank you for that tape. It shows a player totally unlike the one I saw ( briefly ) at UCONN this year. I do believe she can drive and hit short jumpers; I believe she is quick and can " dish." And the tape even showed her hitting several three point shots. My concern, at the college level , is that she will be more aggressively guarded, and by more talented players. Perhaps that is why her three point shot did not " work" this season. In any case, what you showed was encouraging. I mean, I know the UCONN recruiters know what they are doing. So she must have skills ( although I still fail to see much from Molly and Kyla ). Nonetheless, thank you for going to the trouble. I feel better about her ( though not yet convinced ). Hopefully she will become a star next season, as she was for her high school.

Reaction Score
Mikayla did hit 1 triple this season and was ranked 13th by ESPN coming out of HS. On just about all of the HS evaluations she is described as, “explosive combo guard who delivers at the rim and at the mid range.”

Unfortunately, as you point out, none of the evaluations had much, if anything, to say about her outside shooting, which tells me she really wasn’t much of an outside shooter in HS.

From the limited minutes Mikayla has played, she appears to be a better-than-average ball handler and passer, and a potentially outstanding defender.

So here’s my thought on Mikayla. She may never be much of a shooter, but neither was Mo for her first 2 seasons, and the Gabulous one never was a great shooter.

If Mikayla can effectively handle the ball, penetrate to the basket, dish to her teammates and become a shut down defender, she can be a very effective player for the Huskies.
I hope so, as well.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many three point shots did she attempt?

Reaction Score
Thank you for that tape. It shows a player totally unlike the one I saw ( briefly ) at UCONN this year. I do believe she can drive and hit short jumpers; I believe she is quick and can " dish." And the tape even showed her hitting several three point shots. My concern, at the college level , is that she will be more aggressively guarded, and by more talented players. Perhaps that is why her three point shot did not " work" this season. In any case, what you showed was encouraging. I mean, I know the UCONN recruiters know what they are doing. So she must have skills ( although I still fail to see much from Molly and Kyla ). Nonetheless, thank you for going to the trouble. I feel better about her ( though not yet convinced ). Hopefully she will become a star next season, as she was for her high school.

her future status is very unclear..............time will tell

Reaction Score
Meg Walker will be a good player ...lou and pheesa will be pretty much the same as this season... the team will still not have a big girl to rebound and defend the paint ... w/o that it will be tough to compete with the top tier teams..can’t understand why the failure to recruit post players ... finesse can only get you so far ...when the game gets rough you need some rough players

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg should get some open looks as the defense focuses on the Big 3. The next year may be tougher. But she’ll be better.

Reaction Score
Meg Walker will be a good player ...lou and pheesa will be pretty much the same as this season... the team will still not have a big girl to rebound and defend the paint ... w/o that it will be tough to compete with the top tier teams..can’t understand why the failure to recruit post players ... finesse can only get you so far ...when the game gets rough you need some rough players

Ms Nelson Ododa may beg to differ with you.............she'll be the best shot blocker UConn has seen since Stokes........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ms Nelson Ododa may beg to differ with you...she'll be the best shot blocker UConn has seen since Stokes...
So... ONO going to be a better shot blocker than Stewie?

Reaction Score
So... ONO going to be a better shot blocker than Stewie?

call me crazy but as far as I'm concerned it's very possible.........her timing is impeccable and I think she's a better jumper then Stewie............. part of that will be based on where she plays on the defensive end of the court and who she's paired up with in the next few years.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
call me crazy but as far as I'm concerned it's very possible....her timing is impeccable and I think she's a better jumper then Stewie... part of that will be based on where she plays on the defensive end of the court and who she's paired up with in the next few years....
LoL!
upload_2018-4-20_22-1-11.jpeg

Reaction Score
Regardless of the lineup and who gets what sort of playing time Geno will need to provide a certain level of leniency to whomever is out on the court, save Lou, Crystal Dangerfield and Pheesa. As another poster mentioned, next year will be about getting ready for March and seeing what combination provides the best synergy on the court. Mistakes will be in abundance, especially early. Looking forward to it...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom