Megan Will Be The Key to Next Season's Success | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan Will Be The Key to Next Season's Success

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago, UConn had 2 returning starters and lots of question marks relative to size, experience and depth. Next season, UConn will have 3 returning starters and the same question marks. To be sure the 3 returning starters, Lou, Pheesa & Crystal are among the very best players at their respective positions anywhere in college basketball. But for UConn to reach the same level of success as the past two seasons, making it back to their 12th straight FF, just as Gabby, Pheesa & Saniya stepped up 2 seasons ago, several players will need to step up in a big way.

As much as we all hope that Touly, Kyla, Molly, Lexi, Mikayla, CW & ONO make significant contributions next season, imo, Megan will be the key to next season’s success. While I understand and agree with many BY’ers who hoped to see more from Megan this past season, the small sample size gives me every confidence that like Crystal, Mo, Tina and several other freshmen that came before her, Megan is ready to make a significant sophomore leap.

Beyond the fact that Megan is a big-time scorer, the most important aspects of her game next year will be rebounding and defense. Megan has already demonstrated her ability to pull down rebounds in a crowd. I suspect that she will be the 2nd leading rebounder behind Pheesa next season.

But it is on defense where Megan will be absolutely critical. After considering all the potential options, it is my belief that Megan will replace Gabby to defend opposing team’s post players. Touly is strong but doesn’t have Megan’s offensive skillset. Kyla is not athletic enough and while ONO will eventually be UConn’s center, she will have a significant amount of developmental work to do before she is ready.

I know Megan is only 6’1”, but what the hell, she’s 2” taller than our last center. Beyond that, Megan is one of the strongest players on the team, capable of bodying up against much bigger posts. There were several times this season where Megan switched off on opposing centers, and I was pleasantly surprised at how tough she played them in the paint. On the offensive end, Megan’s ability to shoot the ball from the arc and drive hard to the basket will create a nightmare for opposing centers attempting to guard her.

With Megan in the post, UConn would start a front line of Lou, Pheesa & Megan, with Touly, Kyla and ONO in reserve. Initially, Crystal and either Molly or Mikayla would start in the backcourt, but as many BY’ers hope, I’m looking for CW to earn the starting 2-guard spot by midseason, if not sooner.

There will be lots of difficult tests for the Huskies next season, including challenging road games vs top-5 opponents Baylor, ND & Louisville. But this isn’t Geno, CD & company’s 1st rodeo. They are the best staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I absolutely believe that next season Megan Walker will remind everyone that she was the #1 HS POY for a very good reason.
All I will say is that you are very, very hopeful about MW.
Molly and /or Mikayla starting at the off guard? Hopeful now turned into what are you smoking?
Bronx23

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<What happens to UConn if KLS, CD or Napheesa get injured? Should I start hyperventilating now or wait till Fall?>>

Uh, KLS and CD are already injured. Let's hope they both heal up by this summer and that CD's condition isn't chronic, especially since there's no point guard on the horizon. :(

Reaction Score
Don't forget that ND and Miss State didn't have the number one high school player in the country sitting on their benches in the final four....only UConn did.......big difference.....
There's also a big difference between being the number one HS player in the country and then doing it at a high level at the top college program and level.
It truly amazes me, that this growth is just assumed.
Yes, she showed she's a good rebounder for someone 6'1" but she is not Gabulous in rebounding or guarding the best big player on the opposing team.
Freshman even though it's not common here, can start and / or be significant contributors. One of the reasons for my ongoing concerns in this area, is MW couldn't even solidify the 2nd sub in after it just about being handed to her.
Once again I hope I'm proven wrong and will then admit all my comments were off base and un-called for.
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Molly and /or Mikayla starting at the off guard? Hopeful now turned into what are you smoking?
Bronx23
Megan is a lock to start. Any suggestion that she doesn’t is contrary to everything I’ve seen watching Geno and UConn basketball over 35 years. This is the same argument we heard last year about Crystal after her inconsistent freshman season.

There are other possibilities at the 2-guard. Geno could start Touly up front and move Lou to the 2. If CW is Mayaesque, I suppose it’s possible that she could start from day 1 at the 2 guard, but I suspect it will take a little time for CW to settle in.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Don't forget that ND and Miss State didn't have the number one high school player in the country sitting on their benches in the final four....only UConn did.......big difference.....
On hoopgurlz you have 21 players ranked as a 98. (I don't know how they use this ranking system but I assume that it makes sense) Seeing as how they are all 98 is there really much difference between number 1 and number 6 or 16. I would think freshman success has more to do with the needs of the college team, the position of the player in relationship to the needs and various intangibles. In reality high school ranking seems to have little reference to first year college success. Number 1, number 5, just give me the player who has abounding love for the game and n over whelming drive to succeed.

Reaction Score
On hoopgurlz you have 21 players ranked as a 98. (I don't know how they use this ranking system but I assume that it makes sense) Seeing as how they are all 98 is there really much difference between number 1 and number 6 or 16. I would think freshman success has more to do with the needs of the college team, the position of the player in relationship to the needs and various intangibles. In reality high school ranking seems to have little reference to first year college success. Number 1, number 5, just give me the player who has abounding love for the game and n over whelming drive to succeed.

very true but in the case of Miss State and ND neither had anybody with MW's talent...... ..............if you follow WBB you know that many freshmen made an impact this past season, just none of Uconn's.............hopefully we'll be able to see if their performance improves as sophs

Reaction Score
What happens to UConn if KLS, CD or Napheesa get injured? Should I start hyperventilating now or wait till Fall?
Take a deep cleansing breath. Relax until the fall and save any hyperventilation should your fears come true (they probably won't).

Reaction Score
There's also a big difference between being the number one HS player in the country and then doing it at a high level at the top college program and level.
It truly amazes me, that this growth is just assumed.
Yes, she showed she's a good rebounder for someone 6'1" but she is not Gabulous in rebounding or guarding the best big player on the opposing team.
Freshman even though it's not common here, can start and / or be significant contributors. One of the reasons for my ongoing concerns in this area, is MW couldn't even solidify the 2nd sub in after it just about being handed to her.
Once again I hope I'm proven wrong and will then admit all my comments were off base and un-called for.
Bronx23
You obviously don't realize that Williams wasn't rebounding or guarding the best big player AS A FRESHMAN either.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
very true but in the case of Miss State and ND neither had anybody with MW's talent. ....if you follow WBB you know that many freshmen made an impact this past season, just none of Uconn's...hopefully we'll be able to see if their performance improves as sophs
True, but what kind of impact would Chenedy Carter have had on the UConn program. Some I'm sure, but I don't know if it would have been more than MW and that impact would have been based on the position she plays (Geno spent all season looking for a backup guard). Looking ahead into my foggy crystal ball, I imagine that CW will have a bigger impact on next season than MW did in this season because of the difference in the team and the fact that she is a pure guard that we have needed for some time. Also the foggy crystal ball says that MW will be a super soph

Reaction Score
<<What happens to UConn if KLS, CD or Napheesa get injured? Should I start hyperventilating now or wait till Fall?>>

Uh, KLS and CD are already injured. Let's hope they both heal up by this summer and that CD's condition isn't chronic, especially since there's no point guard on the horizon. :(
What happens to Oregon if Ionescu gets injured? Or ND if Arike, Shepard, Turner go down? Same with Baylor & Cox/Brown?? This can be said with any team. Looking at the key pieces for each team, ill take our 3 players over theirs any day of the week!

Reaction Score
What happens to UConn if KLS, CD or Napheesa get injured? Should I start hyperventilating now or wait till Fall?
UCONN has been quite lucky with injuries , of late. Gabby's hip may have hampered her some, but didn't put her out for long periods. Same with the shin splints Crystal worked through. Katy Lou has the "foot" thing, but she is tough as nails, and remained worthy of her first team AA status. But to lose front line players for the year, as ND did, would be disastrous for UCONN.. The reason, in my view, is that ND has a far more talented, deeper bench than UCONN. We may have slightly superior front line players, but they have always had a superior bench. They won the championship because their bench delivered and grew. Not to mention their AA guard. Next year, they should beat us by 20. Seriously, our bench is scary, at least as we last saw them running around and creating turnovers.

Let's face it ; we are all hoping for one of three miracles ( if not all );

1. That Megan grows as Crystal did and comes back an AA.
2. That our bench players ( or several of them ) do the same.
3. That the freshmen are unusual in both their talent and adjusting to the UCONN system.

Not to mention a return to 100% health for each player.

Reaction Score
True, but what kind of impact would Chenedy Carter have had on the UConn program. Some I'm sure, but I don't know if it would have been more than MW and that impact would have been based on the position she plays (Geno spent all season looking for a backup guard). Looking ahead into my foggy crystal ball, I imagine that CW will have a bigger impact on next season than MW did in this season because of the difference in the team and the fact that she is a pure guard that we have needed for some time. Also the foggy crystal ball says that MW will be a super soph

I think I said a while back that Carter would probably have spent much of her time on Geno's bench because although she could score points in bunches she would have taken way too many wild shots , would't make the right pass when a teammate was open and wouldn't get back on defense........I'm not sure she's all that coachable so Gary Blair has chosen to leave his team in her hands, win or lose.......

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I think I said a while back that Carter would probably have spent much of her time on Geno's bench because although she could score points in bunches she would have taken way too many wild shots , would't make the right pass when a teammate was open and wouldn't get back on defense...I'm not sure she's all that coachable so Gary Blair has chosen to leave his team in her hands, win or lose..
Yeah, and I had a higher opinion of Blair than that. But perhaps he is right. I am concerned that we are seeing a development in WBB that has taken the enjoyment out of MBB. That is the relying on a superstar to go one-on-one to create offense. To me the game was always about teamwork and that is why I enjoy the Ballet that can be UConn.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
BTW, I remember your Carter comment and if I didn't click like consider it done now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and I had a higher opinion of Blair than that. But perhaps he is right. I am concerned that we are seeing a development in WBB that has taken the enjoyment out of MBB. That is the relying on a superstar to go one-on-one to create offense. To me the game was always about teamwork and that is why I enjoy the Ballet that can be UConn.

and that's most likely why Howard is considering a transfer...........it's not so fun when one person dominates the ball no matter how good they are.......

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago, UConn had 2 returning starters and lots of question marks relative to size, experience and depth. Next season, UConn will have 3 returning starters and the same question marks. To be sure the 3 returning starters, Lou, Pheesa & Crystal are among the very best players at their respective positions anywhere in college basketball. But for UConn to reach the same level of success as the past two seasons, making it back to their 12th straight FF, just as Gabby, Pheesa & Saniya stepped up 2 seasons ago, several players will need to step up in a big way.

As much as we all hope that Touly, Kyla, Molly, Lexi, Mikayla, CW & ONO make significant contributions next season, imo, Megan will be the key to next season’s success. While I understand and agree with many BY’ers who hoped to see more from Megan this past season, the small sample size gives me every confidence that like Crystal, Mo, Tina and several other freshmen that came before her, Megan is ready to make a significant sophomore leap.

Beyond the fact that Megan is a big-time scorer, the most important aspects of her game next year will be rebounding and defense. Megan has already demonstrated her ability to pull down rebounds in a crowd. I suspect that she will be the 2nd leading rebounder behind Pheesa next season.

But it is on defense where Megan will be absolutely critical. After considering all the potential options, it is my belief that Megan will replace Gabby to defend opposing team’s post players. Touly is strong but doesn’t have Megan’s offensive skillset. Kyla is not athletic enough and while ONO will eventually be UConn’s center, she will have a significant amount of developmental work to do before she is ready.

I know Megan is only 6’1”, but what the hell, she’s 2” taller than our last center. Beyond that, Megan is one of the strongest players on the team, capable of bodying up against much bigger posts. There were several times this season where Megan switched off on opposing centers, and I was pleasantly surprised at how tough she played them in the paint. On the offensive end, Megan’s ability to shoot the ball from the arc and drive hard to the basket will create a nightmare for opposing centers attempting to guard her.

With Megan in the post, UConn would start a front line of Lou, Pheesa & Megan, with Touly, Kyla and ONO in reserve. Initially, Crystal and either Molly or Mikayla would start in the backcourt, but as many BY’ers hope, I’m looking for CW to earn the starting 2-guard spot by midseason, if not sooner.

There will be lots of difficult tests for the Huskies next season, including challenging road games vs top-5 opponents Baylor, ND & Louisville. But this isn’t Geno, CD & company’s 1st rodeo. They are the best staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I absolutely believe that next season Megan Walker will remind everyone that she was the #1 HS POY for a very good reason.

I’ve been meaning to commend you on your post it’s well thought out and correct.
MW really is the key. I think she will get every chance to shine from second one. I think she has the inside track on cracking Kias starting spot. I can’t wait to see if by conference play if CW is banging down the door to start and challenges MW for her spot or if she starts and along with MW and we go small.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been meaning to commend you on your post it’s well thought out and correct.
MW really is the key. I think she will get every chance to shine from second one. I think she has the inside track on cracking Kias starting spot. I can’t wait to see if by conference play if CW is banging down the door to start and challenges MW for her spot or if she starts and along with MW and we go small.
Appreciate your response, but I don’t have MW in Kia’s spot at the 2-guard. For the reasons I outline in my post, I have MW replacing Gabby as the 5.

Reaction Score
Bronx23

If all is well, I think Coombs will be a very pleasant surprise..........she's probably the best athlete on the team and just needs time on the court

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
There were several times this season where Megan switched off on opposing centers, and I was pleasantly surprised at how tough she played them in the paint.
Yes. Thought I was the only one who noticed that! :confused::cool: Whatever else Geno saw her do or not do, I thought she acquitted herself well in that task.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Bronx23
I don't expect Molly ever to start except on Senior Night, but . . . as of now she is only one transfer or one ligament tear from being a much more important part of this team. And I don't think it's too big a stretch to see MC competing for a starting job or high place in the rotation.

Reaction Score
UCONN has been quite lucky with injuries , of late. Gabby's hip may have hampered her some, but didn't put her out for long periods. Same with the shin splints Crystal worked through. Katy Lou has the "foot" thing, but she is tough as nails, and remained worthy of her first team AA status. But to lose front line players for the year, as ND did, would be disastrous for UCONN.. The reason, in my view, is that ND has a far more talented, deeper bench than UCONN. We may have slightly superior front line players, but they have always had a superior bench. They won the championship because their bench delivered and grew. Not to mention their AA guard. Next year, they should beat us by 20. Seriously, our bench is scary, at least as we last saw them running around and creating turnovers.

Let's face it ; we are all hoping for one of three miracles ( if not all );

1. That Megan grows as Crystal did and comes back an AA.
2. That our bench players ( or several of them ) do the same.
3. That the freshmen are unusual in both their talent and adjusting to the UCONN system.

Not to mention a return to 100% health for each player.
Our bench may be scary - but Geno never relies on a deep bench. With Pheesa, Katie Lou and Megan up front, and Crystal in the backcourt with CW (who should be starting after the 1st ten games or so) all Geno needs is for ONO to provides minutes in the frontcourt, with a few minutes for Batouly, as well, and Mikayla to step it up a bit (from her rough freshman year) to provide some relief in the backcourt. Maybe we'll get Anriel and maybe we won't. I can't see UConn losing more than 3-4 games next year (unless more than one key starter goes down).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Our bench may be scary - but Geno never relies on a deep bench. With Pheesa, Katie Lou and Megan up front, and Crystal in the backcourt with CW (who should be starting after the 1st ten games or so) all Geno needs is for ONO to provides minutes in the frontcourt, with a few minutes for Batouly, as well, and Mikayla to step it up a bit (from her rough freshman year) to provide some relief in the backcourt.

One freshmen is going to start and the other has to be the key off the bench. The other areas of depth have to be filled in by a sophomore who barely played and has a potentially deadly medical condition, and a player who averaged 1.3 points and 1.3 rebounds in mop-up minutes while shooting 37%.

I just fail to see how this is a recipe for success.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Your post concerned me so I went on UConn's website, and there it was, a photo with Megan standing next to Pheesa at the season ending dinner celebration. Clearly, Pheesa is taller, but it's difficult to judge their relative height, since all the ladies are wearing high heels, and Pheesa's heels appear to be higher than Megan's. I think the only way to resolve this issue is to have Megan stand next to Brea Hartley. :rolleyes:
Yes, clearly Pheesa was wearing Christian Louboutin stilettos (Bergdorf Goodman - $875) while Megan had on Jimmy Choo pumps (Neiman Marcus - $1,045) and everyone knows that Louboutin designs a higher heel. Please don't ask me why I'm so well-versed on this topic. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, clearly Pheesa was wearing Christian Louboutin stilettos (Bergdorf Goodman - $875) while Megan had on Jimmy Choo pumps (Neiman Marcus - $1,045) and everyone knows that Louboutin designs a higher heel. Please don't ask me why I'm so well-versed on this topic. ;)
I won’t ask you how in the hell you know this stuff, other than to comment that the diversity of knowledge on the BY is staggering. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom