Megan Will Be The Key to Next Season's Success | The Boneyard

Megan Will Be The Key to Next Season's Success

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two seasons ago, UConn had 2 returning starters and lots of question marks relative to size, experience and depth. Next season, UConn will have 3 returning starters and the same question marks. To be sure the 3 returning starters, Lou, Pheesa & Crystal are among the very best players at their respective positions anywhere in college basketball. But for UConn to reach the same level of success as the past two seasons, making it back to their 12th straight FF, just as Gabby, Pheesa & Saniya stepped up 2 seasons ago, several players will need to step up in a big way.

As much as we all hope that Touly, Kyla, Molly, Lexi, Mikayla, CW & ONO make significant contributions next season, imo, Megan will be the key to next season’s success. While I understand and agree with many BY’ers who hoped to see more from Megan this past season, the small sample size gives me every confidence that like Crystal, Mo, Tina and several other freshmen that came before her, Megan is ready to make a significant sophomore leap.

Beyond the fact that Megan is a big-time scorer, the most important aspects of her game next year will be rebounding and defense. Megan has already demonstrated her ability to pull down rebounds in a crowd. I suspect that she will be the 2nd leading rebounder behind Pheesa next season.

But it is on defense where Megan will be absolutely critical. After considering all the potential options, it is my belief that Megan will replace Gabby to defend opposing team’s post players. Touly is strong but doesn’t have Megan’s offensive skillset. Kyla is not athletic enough and while ONO will eventually be UConn’s center, she will have a significant amount of developmental work to do before she is ready.

I know Megan is only 6’1”, but what the hell, she’s 2” taller than our last center. Beyond that, Megan is one of the strongest players on the team, capable of bodying up against much bigger posts. There were several times this season where Megan switched off on opposing centers, and I was pleasantly surprised at how tough she played them in the paint. On the offensive end, Megan’s ability to shoot the ball from the arc and drive hard to the basket will create a nightmare for opposing centers attempting to guard her.

With Megan in the post, UConn would start a front line of Lou, Pheesa & Megan, with Touly, Kyla and ONO in reserve. Initially, Crystal and either Molly or Mikayla would start in the backcourt, but as many BY’ers hope, I’m looking for CW to earn the starting 2-guard spot by midseason, if not sooner.

There will be lots of difficult tests for the Huskies next season, including challenging road games vs top-5 opponents Baylor, ND & Louisville. But this isn’t Geno, CD & company’s 1st rodeo. They are the best staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I absolutely believe that next season Megan Walker will remind everyone that she was the #1 HS POY for a very good reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that there is a strong probability that you are correct with this thesis. As you say, she has the potential, the desire, raw skills, and the confidence to step up. This young women just wants to play and when she gets the chance, she will astound folks with her presence. I also agree that this years freshman and the incoming recruits will have a chance to shine.

Reaction Score
We don’t need Megan to be Gabby or Pheesa from 2 seasons ago. Lou & Pheesa will both go to an entirely new level, which they are capable of. They both shared the workload with 3 other top 9 WNBA picks. Again, there’s a reason they are 2 of 3 players (Durr) remaining in college basketball that made the USA national squad.

Realistically, Megan averaging 12 & 6.5rebs would be a great season! I see the big step up coming from Crystal Dangerfield. We need her to be that 3rd player in contention for AA honors.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We don’t need Megan to be Gabby or Pheesa from 2 seasons ago. Lou & Pheesa will both go to an entirely new level, which they are capable of. They both shared the workload with 3 other top 9 WNBA picks. Again, there’s a reason they are 2 of 3 players (Durr) remaining in college basketball that made the USA national squad.

Realistically, Megan averaging 12 & 6.5rebs would be a great season! I see the big step up coming from Crystal Dangerfield. We need her to be that 3rd player in contention for AA honors.
Agreed. I would be thrilled if MW averaged 12 & 6.5. Just for the sake of comparison, it’s worth noting that 2 seasons ago Gabby averaged 14.3 & 8.6.

Reaction Score
Very interesting post. Somehow it's difficult to imagine MW can jump as high as GW or can match up with big, tall centers as well as Gabby. I thought that it's Pheesa who played the post besides Gabby and Stevens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very interesting post. Somehow it's difficult to imagine MW can jump as high as GW or can match up with big, tall centers as well as Gabby. I thought that it's Pheesa who played the post besides Gabby and Stevens.
While Pheesa is a wonderful player, she can get muscled from time to time by big post players. MW can not jump like Gabby (Can anybody?), but she's the same height as Pheesa and has a much stronger frame to body up against opposing BIGs. MW also demonstrated some very nice rebounding skills in a crowd this year. Just don't see anyone else to fill the bill unless ONO's development occurs at a phenomenally rapid pace.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the elements of this discussion, which gives some people pause, is Megan's inconsistent performance as a freshman. While the Huskies have had numerous recruits contribute significantly as freshmen, UConn's experience has generally been the exception to the rule. There is always a handful of freshmen who create a buzz every season, but most teams get little or no contribution from their freshmen, and those teams that do almost always see the freshman run into a wall of reality sooner or later (See VolNation).

Taking a closer look at the FF, UConn & ND did not play any of their freshman, and MS St got little to no contribution from Cloe Bibby, there Australian freshman who will be 20 years old in June. The only significant contribution by a freshman was by Louisville's Dana Evans, who played very well in the loss to MS St.

Reaction Score
No doubt the Megan has to step up next year. I am thinking ONO gets thrown into the fire very quickly this year much as Stephanie D. did her freshmen year. CW will also get a lot of time early, we are probably going to lose some out of conference games next year but we will be ready come March.

Reaction Score
While Pheesa is a wonderful player, she can get muscled from time to time by big post players. MW can not jump like Gabby (Can anybody?), but she's the same height as Pheesa and has a much stronger frame to body up against opposing BIGs. MW also demonstrated some very nice rebounding skills in a crowd this year. Just don't see anyone else to fill the bill unless ONO's development occurs at a phenomenally rapid pace.
Your proposition is irresistible. But if Megan fails to improve her game, exponentially, UCONN is in for a long year ( except for their undefeated streak in the AAC which, in my mind, doesn't count any more than practice). As for replacing Gabby, no one will be doing that anytime soon. Megan has to be Megan.

That still leaves us, where? Molly remained a liability this year. True, she plays like a whirlwind on defense, but the player she guards nearly always scores, despite her effort. And, when Molly has the ball, it remains a turnover waiting to happen. Mykala showed exactly nothing, and then her year ended badly with that blood clot issue. So it is difficult to anticipate her possible contribution.

You have penciled in Batouly as a starter, then? Based upon what? I understand she is one of the few other players we have, so someone has to play. It is hard to imagine the fifth starter could be Kyla who seemed to have gained some trust from Geno, though it is hard to see why, exactly. I mean, I keep seeing her miss open put-backs, miss free throws, and miss short jump shots. In addition, when she defends, the player she is guarding usually scores or is fouled, or both.

Lexi seemed the last person on the list to enter games, so it is hard to see her having a role. Although, she had to be good in Texas to get here. So let's see it?

And then we have two rookies. Top rated, but freshmen nonetheless.

It will be, at best, a season where we improve a lot by March, but suffer a fair amount in the interim. Given that only March matters, let's hope we are pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
One of the elements of this discussion, which gives some people pause, is Megan's inconsistent performance as a freshman. While the Huskies have had numerous recruits contribute significantly as freshmen, UConn's experience has generally been the exception to the rule. There is always a handful of freshmen who create a buzz every season, but most teams get little or no contribution from their freshmen, and those teams that do almost always see the freshman run into a wall of reality sooner or later (See VolNation).

Taking a closer look at the FF, UConn & ND did not play any of their freshman, and MS St got little to no contribution from Cloe Bibby, there Australian freshman who will be 20 years old in June. The only significant contribution by a freshman was by Louisville's Dana Evans, who played very well in the loss to MS St.

Don't forget that ND and Miss State didn't have the number one high school player in the country sitting on their benches in the final four...................only UConn did.................big difference..........

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
UConn has a brutal out of conference road schedule next season, and no one realistically expects them to run the table. I don`t know, maybe there is something liberating about that. (Or maybe I`m just rationalizing.) There are many question marks that can only be answered by how the games play out and how various players develop. Room to experiment. Getting ready for March is all that really matters.

Will MW make the sophomore leap? Will Coombs earn valuable minutes? Will she be healthy?

What about Batouly - playing time is there for the taking and she does look to be our muscle inside. Will CW and/or ONO be those exceptional freshman who contribute a lot, maybe not right away but in Stewie-like fashion at the end? Can CW's shooting range and ability translate to the higher level and take pressure off of Lou and Napheesa? Can Kyla provide some help on the boards?

Much like 2016-2017, the big physical teams will be of great concern. Notre Dame is loaded, big, skilled and experienced, and will be the clear favorites. I agree that we need MW to be a force inside defensively and on the boards. Putting points on the board should not be a problem for UConn. Defending the interior and staying out of foul trouble will be key.

One has to assume Notre Dame will be there for UConn at the end if UConn can get that far. I suspect the UConn coaching staff will spend off season time ruminating about strategy they will use should that come to pass. In Columbus, the defense that worked so well in Albany against the reluctant-shooters of South Carolina turned Jackie Young into a first team All American. She was able to essentially walk into wide open three point shots from the key area. Part of the reason that defense was being used has to have been the recognition that some players were going to play 40 minutes (45, as it turned out). If the bench improves more for 2018-2019, then maybe Geno can afford to play a more aggressive pressing defense and run players in there off the bench like Mississippi State and Louisville did. Playing a full court game will also help neutralize the size advantage other top teams will generally have on UConn.

I almost said "if Geno can develop the bench", but Geno and the boneyarders would (politely?) remind me that it is on the bench players themselves to develop to the required level.

So, while I agree that MW is key, IMHO she is not the only one who has to step it up if UConn is going to have a shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No doubt the Megan has to step up next year. I am thinking ONO gets thrown into the fire very quickly this year much as Stephanie D. did her freshmen year. CW will also get a lot of time early, we are probably going to lose some out of conference games next year but we will be ready come March.
How much time CW will get will depend on how much she improves her on the ball defense. Everyone knows that defense is also important for Geno. She herself stated that she needs to improve in that area . I watched her in the Jordan classic and that is a true statement. She had the last two fouls (although the last one was not egregious ) that put the opposing team on the line at the close of the game. I think the key to how much Williams contributes this next season will depend on that aspect of her game. If you are a defensive liability you don't see the floor much at Uconn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your proposition is irresistible. But if Megan fails to improve her game, exponentially, UCONN is in for a long year ( except for their undefeated streak in the AAC which, in my mind, doesn't count any more than practice). As for replacing Gabby, no one will be doing that anytime soon. Megan has to be Megan.

That still leaves us, where? Molly remained a liability this year. True, she plays like a whirlwind on defense, but the player she guards nearly always scores, despite her effort. And, when Molly has the ball, it remains a turnover waiting to happen. Mykala showed exactly nothing, and then her year ended badly with that blood clot issue. So it is difficult to anticipate her possible contribution.

You have penciled in Batouly as a starter, then? Based upon what? I understand she is one of the few other players we have, so someone has to play. It is hard to imagine the fifth starter could be Kyla who seemed to have gained some trust from Geno, though it is hard to see why, exactly. I mean, I keep seeing her miss open put-backs, miss free throws, and miss short jump shots. In addition, when she defends, the player she is guarding usually scores or is fouled, or both.

Lexi seemed the last person on the list to enter games, so it is hard to see her having a role. Although, she had to be good in Texas to get here. So let's see it?

And then we have two rookies. Top rated, but freshmen nonetheless.

It will be, at best, a season where we improve a lot by March, but suffer a fair amount in the interim. Given that only March matters, let's hope we are pleasantly surprised.
So a lot to respond to here:
- Yes, if MW doesn't make that sophomore leap, that's a problem. But like Crystal only a year earlier, and many other UConn players before, past is prologue. I'm going with the glass is half full and will be completely full by next season when it comes to MW.
- While your point on Molly has some validity, I don't agree with your assessment on Mikayla who, in her limited minutes, demonstrated a good handle and the ability to force turnovers and play tough defense. Not real happy with Mikayla's shot, but practice makes perfect, or in Mikayla's case, a little better would be good.
- Please show me anywhere on this thread where I suggest that Batouly is a starter?
- I generally agree with your comments on Lexi & the freshmen

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't forget that ND and Miss State didn't have the number one high school player in the country sitting on their benches in the final four....only UConn did.......big difference.....
Every freshman is different in their ability to adjust to college. TX had 3 of the top freshmen in the country, and none of them played. Patterson at ND was #30, and even on a severely depleted team, she didn't play during prime time. On the other hand, Kia Nurse was the #33 rated player in her senior year in HS, and she started every game for UConn's 2015 national championship team after the 2nd game of the season.

I can't be the only one on this board that remembers the questions and concerns directed at Crystal after her up and down freshman year. A number of BY'ers were lamenting the fact that Crystal was an overrated pg when compared to Ionescu or Slocum. I'll take Crystal over any other pg in the country, and I expect to be equally enthusiastic about MW.

Reaction Score
How much time CW will get will depend on how much she improves her on the ball defense. Everyone knows that defense is also important for Geno. She herself stated that she needs to improve in that area . I watched her in the Jordan classic and that is a true statement. She had the last two fouls (although the last one was not egregious ) that put the opposing team on the line at the close of the game. I think the key to how much Williams contributes this next season will depend on that aspect of her game. If you are a defensive liability you don't see the floor much at Uconn.

if she doesn't see the floor who exactly is going to make up those 47 points per game that UConn just lost?..................according to Geno, Napheesa has been a defensive liability for her first three years and KLS for the first two...............what do they have in common?.................they both can score............a lot..............GW should be capable of 15 points per game quite easily if she gets minutes even more if she starts.........the other question is where do the other 30 points come from...........MW and ONO hopefully

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago, UConn had 2 returning starters and lots of question marks relative to size, experience and depth. Next season, UConn will have 3 returning starters and the same question marks. To be sure the 3 returning starters, Lou, Pheesa & Crystal are among the very best players at their respective positions anywhere in college basketball. But for UConn to reach the same level of success as the past two seasons, making it back to their 12th straight FF, just as Gabby, Pheesa & Saniya stepped up 2 seasons ago, several players will need to step up in a big way.

As much as we all hope that Touly, Kyla, Molly, Lexi, Mikayla, CW & ONO make significant contributions next season, imo, Megan will be the key to next season’s success. While I understand and agree with many BY’ers who hoped to see more from Megan this past season, the small sample size gives me every confidence that like Crystal, Mo, Tina and several other freshmen that came before her, Megan is ready to make a significant sophomore leap.

Beyond the fact that Megan is a big-time scorer, the most important aspects of her game next year will be rebounding and defense. Megan has already demonstrated her ability to pull down rebounds in a crowd. I suspect that she will be the 2nd leading rebounder behind Pheesa next season.

But it is on defense where Megan will be absolutely critical. After considering all the potential options, it is my belief that Megan will replace Gabby to defend opposing team’s post players. Touly is strong but doesn’t have Megan’s offensive skillset. Kyla is not athletic enough and while ONO will eventually be UConn’s center, she will have a significant amount of developmental work to do before she is ready.

I know Megan is only 6’1”, but what the hell, she’s 2” taller than our last center. Beyond that, Megan is one of the strongest players on the team, capable of bodying up against much bigger posts. There were several times this season where Megan switched off on opposing centers, and I was pleasantly surprised at how tough she played them in the paint. On the offensive end, Megan’s ability to shoot the ball from the arc and drive hard to the basket will create a nightmare for opposing centers attempting to guard her.

With Megan in the post, UConn would start a front line of Lou, Pheesa & Megan, with Touly, Kyla and ONO in reserve. Initially, Crystal and either Molly or Mikayla would start in the backcourt, but as many BY’ers hope, I’m looking for CW to earn the starting 2-guard spot by midseason, if not sooner.

There will be lots of difficult tests for the Huskies next season, including challenging road games vs top-5 opponents Baylor, ND & Louisville. But this isn’t Geno, CD & company’s 1st rodeo. They are the best staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I absolutely believe that next season Megan Walker will remind everyone that she was the #1 HS POY for a very good reason.
Not sure I agree with all your points but enjoyed reading. Two comments:
-Meagan is a good rebounder but may need to be stretched to reach 6' and has relatively short arms when compared to Pheesa and other bigs. Unlikely to be top rebounder or top low defender. "Good" would be a plus.
-UConn's offense is all about spacing and she likely will fit in well. With KLS and Crystal on outside, Meagan can move back and forth from the box to the outside. Her skills fit this perfectly. Once she relaxes more, shots will go in.

Reaction Score
UConn has a brutal out of conference road schedule next season, and no one realistically expects them to run the table.

We went through this exact same discussion two years ago (which I believe was Oldude's purpose in politely reminding everyone that all is not lost). At the beginning of the post-Stewie season multiple losses were expected. By the time the Final Four rolled around, everyone was expecting UConn to win everything.

Next year UConn returns, arguably, the three best players at their position in Women's college basketball; PG, Wing and PF. I am in the camp that Megan Walker will break out as well as show that she will eventually make AA & the Husky Wall-of-Fame (Just like KLS & Pheesa showed during their sophomore years, and CD during hers).

I don't belive there will be a single team who plays UConn next year who will look at them as an underdog.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with all your points but enjoyed reading. Two comments:
-Meagan is a good rebounder but may need to be stretched to reach 6' and has relatively short arms when compared to Pheesa and other bigs. Unlikely to be top rebounder or top low defender. "Good" would be a plus.
-UConn's offense is all about spacing and she likely will fit in well. With KLS and Crystal on outside, Meagan can move back and forth from the box to the outside. Her skills fit this perfectly. Once she relaxes more, shots will go in.
Your post concerned me so I went on UConn's website, and there it was, a photo with Megan standing next to Pheesa at the season ending dinner celebration. Clearly, Pheesa is taller, but it's difficult to judge their relative height, since all the ladies are wearing high heels, and Pheesa's heels appear to be higher than Megan's. I think the only way to resolve this issue is to have Megan stand next to Brea Hartley. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
@oldude: Both Walker and Collier are listed as 6' 1" on UConn's bio page.

Everyone sees things from a different aspect. I watched all but one of UConn's games and watched intently when MW was playing - regardless of the score.

I saw a 6' 1" quick and athletic player who isn't afraid of a challenge and doesn't appear to be afraid of getting her butt chewed by Geno.

When it comes to the 2018-2019 season, Megan Walker's contribution is the least of my concerns.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Your post concerned me so I went on UConn's website, and there it was, a photo with Megan standing next to Pheesa at the season ending dinner celebration. Clearly, Pheesa is taller, but it's difficult to judge their relative height, since all the ladies are wearing high heels, and Pheesa's heels appear to be higher than Megan's. I think the only way to resolve this issue is to have Megan stand next to Brea Hartley. :rolleyes:

Wow, new season sighting ... a height debate!

Reaction Score
What happens to UConn if KLS, CD or Napheesa get injured? Should I start hyperventilating now or wait till Fall?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score

It always seems that the most talented girls turn the corner as to their contributions to the team in year two. Megan has all the tools and if her mindset is in the right place and her confidence grows, I have to agree that she would be the key to further team excellence. On a side note, I also think we will see more improvement from Kyla, as more of a contributor to the team success, and I stand firm in expecting this in the coming year.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
We went through this exact same discussion two years ago (which I believe was Oldude's purpose in politely reminding everyone that all is not lost). At the beginning of the post-Stewie season multiple losses were expected. By the time the Final Four rolled around, everyone was expecting UConn to win everything.

I don't belive there will be a single team who plays UConn next year who will look at them as an underdog.

UConn plays ND, Baylor and Louisville on the road next season. ND will have Turner back in place of Westbeld. Maybe we win in South Bend like we did in 2016-2017, but it will be difficult. Gabby was a one person wrecking crew that evening.

In any event, hard to imagine ND, defending champs, won't look at UConn as the underdog. Louisville, returning almost everyone, and Baylor, with all that size, should be feeling good about their chances as well.

No matter. By the end of the year in March, the hope is that UConn will be primed for Number 12.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom