Megan Walker - Wooden Award early favorite | The Boneyard

Megan Walker - Wooden Award early favorite

Reaction Score
So much respect for Meagan for what she has accomplished and how she has gotten it done playing out of position. Great results playing the power forward position but would love her senior year to see her in her natural small forward position. As quick as anyone out there with the strength to overpower most.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So much respect for Meagan for what she has accomplished and how she has gotten it done playing out of position. Great results playing the power forward position but would love her senior year to see her in her natural small forward position. As quick as anyone out there with the strength to overpower most.

Not quite sure I understand this out of position stuff. Especially SF vs PF. In meg's case, she is scoring at all three levels so offensively, she is being optimized. On the defensive end, I suppose it mught benefit her a bit if she did not deal with the bigger post players but she is so strong, we need her there. I think when Aubrey gets more settled, she may gravitate to the wing on defense but Aubrey may be the best defensive wing defender. So the moral as I see it is , positions are dead (except for Liv and Crystal;))

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wish the title of the thread were true, but as I posted in another thread I don't think it is.

Occasionally I read a post that some of us get too worked up about preseason awards and watchlist. Megan Walker's play so far this season is the very reason. I realize it is early in the season but at this point Megan should be the leading candidate for POY. Sabrina is having her worst season since her Freshman campaign and Lauren Cox has been hurt. The #1 team in the country (Stanford) had DiJonai Carrington whose season so far pales in comparison to Megan's. The #2 team in the country had Elizabeth Balogun as Pre-Season POY candidate. Megan has two games remaining on ESPN this season Baylor and Oregon. If Megan were to have another performance like she did today in either of those games she would likely be sealing her POY award ......if only she had started the POY race just even.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oh she is living up to the BY's Megatron label. She's like a machine out there. Unemotional and unrelenting. I'm loving it.
She has an edge too. Surely I wasn't the only one who noticed her demeanor toward Sniezek after she collected a steal and breakaway and-1. One of the refs even stepped in to apparently caution her :)

Reaction Score
Megan carrying the team on her back. I dont see another player for a top team having as much impact as MW.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure I understand this out of position stuff. Especially SF vs PF. In meg's case, she is scoring at all three levels so offensively, she is being optimized. On the defensive end, I suppose it mught benefit her a bit if she did not deal with the bigger post players but she is so strong, we need her there. I think when Aubrey gets more settled, she may gravitate to the wing on defense but Aubrey may be the best defensive wing defender. So the moral as I see it is , positions are dead (except for Liv and Crystal;))
Agree that in Meg's case it may not materially matter, but not a hard concept. If the player guarding her was typically 1-3" shorter, she would likely be open more often, get more rebounds, etc. Would not base comments on the relatively small teams played YTD.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Meg gets her stats in the flow of the game and they happen unnoticed. It just happens. She is the number 1 player in WCBB right now.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well I agree Megatron has been as advertised and while we all agree here on the UConn Board/Forum,
Coco is 100% correct it was/is Sabrina’s to lose and the two big games left on the schedule against Baylor and Oregon are critical. If as @CocoHusky states, Meg is able to exert her will in the flow of the game, that could/wound/should make her the lead and heir apparent Wooden Award winner.
All I know is I will enjoy watching this unfold! Go Megatron! :cool:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wooden/Schmooden Meg is playing amazing. She's like George Gervin (yeah, I'm old) out there. She's so effortless, so undemonstrative that I'm and always surprised by the box score. She's having a special season this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wooden/Schmooden Meg is playing amazing. She's like George Gervin (yeah, I'm old) out there. She's so effortless, so undemonstrative that I'm and always surprised by the box score. She's having a special season this year.
Yes. All she needs to add is a finger roll. (yeah I'm old too).

Reaction Score
I wish the title of the thread were true, but as I posted in another thread I don't think it is.

Completely agree....Megan would have to be substantially better than POY to actually get the award which media pundits, as noted several times previously by Boneyarders, have predetermined to be Ionescu. I'm not convinced leviathan like numbers combined with a national championship will move the needle either. Definitely not fair!

I wonder if they reward her next year for taking it away from her this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Still lot of basketball to be played. It's one of those unfortunate situations where Megan was really on no one's preseason "high watch list". Ionescu was basically anointed at the start of the season, and given how much her coach lets her play, it's likely she will rack up numerous triple-doubles this season (there was a recent game vs. an overmatched opponent where she needed 2 assists for the triple-double, which she got at the 3:00 and 2:00 minutes remaining in the 4Q - in a blowout game).

As for Megan, I will be thrilled if she's an AA this year - would love to see her on the wall of honor and see her enjoy the unveiling at a home game during her senior year (do they do it senior night, or some other game?). Either way I agree she SHOULD be the NPOY at this time, but with all the attention and hype Ionescu gets, I'm not sure there is much, if anything, Megan can do to earn that honor....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The original Ice! We have Isuneh coming in a few years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
. Ionescu was basically anointed at the start of the season, and given how much her coach lets her play

You guys crack me up. Have you looked at UConn's stats? Walker is playing 37.3 mpg. So...are her stats inflated? Ionescu is averaging 32.1 mpg. Don't let the truth get in the way of your bias though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom