Megan Walker - Wooden Award early favorite | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker - Wooden Award early favorite

Reaction Score
You guys crack me up. Have you looked at UConn's stats? Walker is playing 37.3 mpg. So...are her stats inflated? Ionescu is averaging 32.1 mpg. Don't let the truth get in the way of your bias though.
Uconn has been in closer games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Uconn has been in closer games.

Ha, nice try, look at game logs. Walker played 38 minutes against Notre Dame (34 point margin, up 27 at halftime) and 39 minutes against Temple (29 point margin, up 16 at halftime). Walker hasn't played less than 33 minutes in any game, regardless of opponent or winning margin. This is like shooting fish in a barrel. Williams and Dangerfield are playing about the same minutes as Walker. It's almost like Geno doesn't trust his bench or something.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You guys crack me up. Have you looked at UConn's stats? Walker is playing 37.3 mpg. So...are her stats inflated? Ionescu is averaging 32.1 mpg. Don't let the truth get in the way of your bias though.
You crack me up. Oregon has a roster of 11. UCONN has a roster of 10 but one is injured (Camara) and one is simply getting almost 0 PT (Adebayo). So really a roster of 8. Also Geno does not leave Megan in so she can pad her stats or get a triple double. :rolleyes:

But I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the media anointing Ionescu as the NPOY before the season even started. Don't get me wrong - when she wins, I will say she totally deserved it. Great player for sure, but that was my point.

Reaction Score
It will be an unmitigated disaster if the PAC doesn't produce the National Champ this year after all the preseason accolades and current slobberfest. With that said, history tells me it will be yet another bridesmaid year for y'all west coast folk.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It will be an unmitigated disaster if the PAC doesn't produce the National Champ this year after all the preseason accolades and current slobberfest. With that said, history tells me it will be yet another bridesmaid year for y'all west coast folk.
...but would it really? :rolleyes: Given the New York Times it’s just desserts would suit me just fine....;)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon has a roster of 11.

Prince and the younger Sabally are unavailable, Yeager is injured more often than not, and the older Sabally missed 4 games playing for her national team.

Geno can do whatever he wants. I think it's clear he has a very high standard and if you don't meet it, you don't play. If that leaves him w/ only 6 or 7 players, so be it. I just think it's weird when UConn fans complain about how many minutes players from other teams play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Prince and the younger Sabally are unavailable, Yeager is injured more often than not, and the older Sabally missed 4 games playing for her national team.

Geno can do whatever he wants. I think it's clear he has a very high standard and if you don't meet it, you don't play. If that leaves him w/ only 6 or 7 players, so be it. I just think it's weird when UConn fans complain about how many minutes players from other teams play.
I hear ya. I have no issues with her PT. What I do disagree with is any coach who plays a star longer against overmatched opponents to pad their stats (ie. Mulkey and Landrum) either to get triple doubles, or to break records, or get double doubles, etc...

Reaction Score
Walker has to be on a very short list of candidates for National POY at this point based upon her stats and her team's success. Hebard and Ionescu are also on that list. Who else at this point would be on your Top 10 Watch List based upon stats and team success?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You crack me up too! 32.1 MPG will "probably" get it done for Sabrina when you are playing the Utah State or Souther Texas of the world. I couldn't help notice that numbers jumps up to 37 MPG when she was playing Louisville & Syracuse.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You crack me up too! 32.1 MPG will "probably" get it done for Sabrina when you are playing the Utah State or Souther Texas of the world. I couldn't help notice that that numbers jumps up to 37 MPG when she was playing Louisville & Syracuse.
But Ionescu only played 34 minutes in the 84-41 nailbiter vs 3-9 UC Riverside the other night.....:rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sabrina will win and deserve it. Megan will get the ball rolling with an AA and then Megan will come back better than ever with Paige and Evina and plant her flag.

Reaction Score
Anxious to see how MW performs against a good/great defensive team. Baylor for example.

Reaction Score
Ha, nice try, look at game logs. Walker played 38 minutes against Notre Dame (34 point margin, up 27 at halftime) and 39 minutes against Temple (29 point margin, up 16 at halftime). Walker hasn't played less than 33 minutes in any game, regardless of opponent or winning margin. This is like shooting fish in a barrel. Williams and Dangerfield are playing about the same minutes as Walker. It's almost like Geno doesn't trust his bench or something.

You can't trust what you don't have.

Reaction Score
Stewart never averaged 20/game. UConn's system is designed around every player being a threat offensively. It wins titles. When you put all your eggs in one basket you risk disaster when the holder of the basket stumbles. That was evident last year in the title game. Ionescu was the leading scorer and assist leader but was 6-24(4-11). Elite level competition can almost always stop one player and force others to step up. When they haven't needed to all season it's usually too much to ask.
Ionescu richly deserves accolades for her performances for 4 years but Boley, et al are going to be the keys if Oregon gets to the FF again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabally and Hebard are major scoring threats for Oregon as well. Last year Cazorla was a fraction of a point away from all 5 starters averaging double figures.

What is the fascination w/ Ionescu and Oregon?

Reaction Score
Sabally and Hebard are major scoring threats for Oregon as well. Last year Cazorla was a fraction of a point away from all 5 starters averaging double figures.

Sabrina just completed her 21st triple double....before end of Q3. That is fascinating.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

5 players averaging double figures for a season would certainly be impressive. Oh, by the way, UConn has done it in each of the past 2 seasons. As for Ionescu, in the very biggest games, she takes a disproportionate percentage of the shots. In each of the past 3 years, OR was eliminated by UConn, ND & Baylor respectively when Ionescu was forced to work exceptionally hard to score points. This year will be a good test for Kelly Graves and the Ducks to see if they can achieve a more balanced offensive attack during the big games in March & April and perhaps finally walk off with the championship.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
5 players averaging double figures for a season would certainly be impressive. Oh, by the way, UConn has done it in each of the past 2 seasons. As for Ionescu, in the very biggest games, she takes a disproportionate percentage of the shots. In each of the past 3 years, OR was eliminated by UConn, ND & Baylor respectively when Ionescu was forced to work exceptionally hard to score points. This year will be a good test for Kelly Graves and the Ducks to see if they can achieve a more balanced offensive attack during the big games in March & April and perhaps finally walk off with the championship.

Okay, fair enough.

This thread was about Megan Walker, but keeps circling back to throw shade at Ionescu and Oregon it seems.

Walker is having a very good year, I agree she should be on a very short list of front runners for POY.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Agree that in Meg's case it may not materially matter, but not a hard concept. If the player guarding her was typically 1-3" shorter, she would likely be open more often, get more rebounds, etc. Would not base comments on the relatively small teams played YTD.
Agreed. but change does not happen in a vacuum. If she were playing as a 3 (right now she does when Kyla is in), then the player at the 4 would be getting some of the rebounds and shots that Meg is getting now. so her overall numbers my not increase and possibly could decrease.

Reaction Score
Very creditable for Walker to be considered as a peer of a generational talent like Ionescu. Walker will be even better next year. She has worked very hard and deserves many accolades.

Reaction Score
Okay, fair enough.

This thread was about Megan Walker, but keeps circling back to throw shade at Ionescu and Oregon it seems.

Walker is having a very good year, I agree she should be on a very short list of front runners for POY.
Sabrina is POY. She is clearly operating at a higher level than everyone else. We get it.

But we're UConn fans and we're voting for Megan Walker until somebody beats Megan Walker. If Sabrina is POY, then 1) beat UConn, and 2) win it all. Then you will shut me up. Does she want to go down in history as Kelsey Plum/Dan Marino (or Matt Stafford Stat Padford), or can she get it done? Show me the money.

February 3 - Bring it!!!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabrina is POY. She is clearly operating at a higher level than everyone else. We get it.

But we're UConn fans and we're voting for Megan Walker until somebody beats Megan Walker. If Sabrina is POY, then 1) beat UConn, and 2) win it all. Then you will shut me up. Does she want to go down in history as Kelsey Plum/Dan Marino (or Matt Stafford Stat Padford), or can she get it done? Show me the money.

February 3 - Bring it!!!

I still don't see why promoting Walker needs to include finding nits to pick with Ionescu.

Reaction Score

February 3 - Bring it!!!
Won't have to wait that long...January 9

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I still don't see why promoting Walker needs to include finding nits to pick with Ionescu.
Uneasy is the head that wears the crown. Sabrina was crowned in the pre-season. Megan is not nit picking and neither are we. Megan is storming a castle of which the foundation has already been shaken by losing that #1 ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom