Meet Qadence Samuels | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Meet Qadence Samuels

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I missed this in the article.

On June 16, Samuels took her unofficial visit to Storrs. She toured the program’s weight room, locker room and practice courts and even went to lunch with the current team.

After years of watching Paige Bueckers on TV and YouTube, Samuels was excited to meet the 2021 National Player of the Year in person.

“I really love Paige,” Samuels said. “I was a fan of Paige when she was on (digital media company) Overtime and stuff. I always watched her so it was like a dream come true. ...

“She’s a really great shooter and she works hard and plays hard too. I’ve watched her play and it’s like she can make like every shot, like Stephen Curry.”

Samuels also got to reconnect with Azzi Fudd, also from the Washington DC area. Fudd played in the same high school conference as Samuels and went to the same school (St. John’s College) as Samuels’ older brother, Qwanzi.
Fudd, Qwanzi, and Qadence would often work out together at St. John’s during the early mornings.

“She really motivates me a lot,” Qadence said about Fudd. “She’ll tell me to push harder and that I got this.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Her family seems to live around basketball. I expect her brothers have introduced her to physicality by now and she needs to get strong but hard work seems to be her MO. What a nice surprise for UConn fans.
Another DelMarVa star slips away from the Turtles.
I believe Qadence is a late bloomer. Geno likes to recruit kids that still have upside, like her. He once said he didn’t like to recruit very young girls because he didn’t have any way of knowing if the girl was plateauing early but then he was missing out on some great players so he revised his strategy

Reaction Score
I believe Qadence is a late bloomer. Geno likes to recruit kids that still have upside, like her. He once said he didn’t like to recruit very young girls because he didn’t have any way of knowing if the girl was plateauing early but then he was missing out on some great players so he revised his strategy
Think you are probably right and hopefully if her upside develops more, next year her ratings will move up quite a bit. If the top options start to dry up, for Uconn recruiting a player around #35 with upside makes far more sense to me than someone ranked similarly, who has more modest but fully developed abilities. A player like the former (Qadence) might develop into a significant rotation piece for us, while the later who has reached her peak probably never becomes more than a backup to the backup if she is in the 30-40 range nationally.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Think you are probably right and hopefully if her upside develops more, next year her ratings will move up quite a bit. If the top options start to dry up, for Uconn recruiting a player around #35 with upside makes far more sense to me than someone ranked similarly, who has more modest but fully developed abilities. A player like the former (Qadence) might develop into a significant rotation piece for us, while the later who has reached her peak probably never becomes more than a backup to the backup if she is in the 30-40 range nationally.
I wouldn’t get too caught up in rankings- they are, after all, some faceless person’s opinion, not a fact. Different ranking services may use different criteria or one may focus on a particular geographical area and not see some players often. Have a bad game the one time you’re seen? Be prepared to be ranked 100. Yeesh. Take rankings with a grain of salt.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
DelMarVa refers to the peninsula that includes Delaware and parts of the other 2 states.

In the last several years, the DC Metro area has taken on the DMV name, with D standing for District.

Generally, DMV now means the metro area. The peninsula is called DelMarVa.

Reaction Score
DelMarVa refers to the peninsula that includes Delaware and parts of the other 2 states.

In the last several years, the DC Metro area has taken on the DMV name, with D standing for District.

Generally, DMV now means the metro area. The peninsula is called DelMarVa.
Thanks. I was confused.

Reaction Score
I am born and raised in Delaware and lived in DC for 16 years. MilfordHusky is correct in the description of DMV vs. The Delmarva Peninsula.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Seems like Qadence’s AAU team was involved in the game of the tournament (thus far). Hopefully Geno & co. got to witness this one. I’m still holding out hope for Azzi’s former HS/AAU/Qadence’s current AAU teammate Delaney Thomas.

Geno and Jamelle were in Louisville Friday.

Reaction Score
FB81AB49-33BC-4AD6-8CB0-E2BFD0A97659.jpeg

Reaction Score

Seems like they sent CD to Iowa. You can see her on the baseline during the game that Team Takeover is wearing black in a few of these clips.

Does this mean CD was their to see Delaney Thomas? I sure hope so!

Reaction Score
Think you are probably right and hopefully if her upside develops more, next year her ratings will move up quite a bit. If the top options start to dry up, for Uconn recruiting a player around #35 with upside makes far more sense to me than someone ranked similarly, who has more modest but fully developed abilities. A player like the former (Qadence) might develop into a significant rotation piece for us, while the later who has reached her peak probably never becomes more than a backup to the backup if she is in the 30-40 range natioL
Lets look at Morrow from DePaul as someone who ranking was off. You never know Geno says she plays hard and can shoot. I will take that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lets look at Morrow from DePaul as someone who ranking was off. You never know Geno says she plays hard and can shoot. I will take that.
Duke’s Alana Beard was ranked #30 coming out of high school and ended up being one of the top three players in the high school class of 2000 along with Diana Taurasi and Candice Wiggins (Stanford). Geno likes to tell a story that he told Chris Daily and Tennessee Associate Head Coach Mickie DeMoss they should be fired for not recruiting Beard.

Reaction Score
The key virtue is always "do they play hard?" Everything else can be taught.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Qadence's highest current ranking comes from All Star Girls Report where she is 29th.

Reaction Score
The key virtue is always "do they play hard?" Everything else can be taught.
Not true .. as Vin Diesel said, "500? .. you need 500 (games) before you're legitimate .. "

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So Qadence is 2 puff's taller.

Start of a beautiful friendship.
An interesting picture would be these two taking a similar picture 5 years from now as mature seniors just prior to leading UConn into the NCAA Tournament. Normally I would say I can hardly wait, but in this case I can. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom