Media expectations........ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Media expectations........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're not looking at this from a media consumption standpoint though.

Sure we are. Basketball is the cash cow here. Not football, it doesn't matter the season. Are you telling me that UConn football has more fans? More people waiting for reports? In years past (good ones under Randy Edsall) there was far more basketball coverage this time of year. I think the point of this thread is: where the hell are the basketball reporters?.

Reaction Score
Sure we are. Basketball is the cash cow here. Not football, it doesn't matter the season. Are you telling me that UConn football has more fans? More people waiting for reports? In years past (good ones under Randy Edsall) there was far more basketball coverage this time of year. I think the point of this thread is: where the hell are the basketball reporters?.

99 already told you where the basketball reporters are. And again, you need to look at this from a different perspective. Their goal is to sell papers. Are you really telling me that enough people are going to physically purchase a newspaper because it has preseason UConn basketball reports rather than in-season UConn football reports?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
99 already told you where the basketball reporters are. And again, you need to look at this from a different perspective. Their goal is to sell papers. Are you really telling me that enough people are going to physically purchase a newspaper because it has preseason UConn basketball reports rather than in-season UConn football reports?

Yes. Especially when most of the "fans" have given up on the football season.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score

I have been a long time fan of UConn BB, but your statement about a cash cow, while historically accurate, is a touch short sighted. There is a wealth of money to be divided up in big boy football. Much more than what is available in Men's and Women's basketball.
Without a seat at the big boy table, UConn is passing up the opportunity to make some serious coin.
Statements about basketball being the cash cow are what the BE leadership in Providence used to kill the Big East.

Reaction Score
We live in a historically basketball state, but in most of the country. Football is king and $$$.

Reaction Score

In UConn country? Yes. 20 plus years of college hoops supremacy vs. 10 years of college football infancy.

Reaction Score
In UConn country? Yes. 20 plus years of college hoops supremacy vs. 10 years of college football infancy.

People really don't care a lot about college sports around here. Pro sports reign supreme in the northeast. After the hysteria of the program waned in the early 2000's, the passion is just not there for UConn sports. Look at the final four attendance in 2011.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I blame all of those skinflint millionaires and billionaires, with all of their oil subsidies and tax loopholes.

They have conspired to drive the price of gasoline into the stratosphere.

And it isn't as though Storrs is nearby anything in the State of Connecticut.

Getting all those reporters to and from Storrs is going to cost a wallet-full of cash.

Right after we buy Coach Calhoun that new bypass pump for the Cardiology Center we can get busy on helping out the beat writers with gas money.

We can try a "Click Here To Donate" thingie on the Boneyard, or maybe just offer to help them organize some car pools.

Reaction Score
People really don't care a lot about college sports around here. Pro sports reign supreme in the northeast. After the hysteria of the program waned in the early 2000's, the passion is just not there for UConn sports. Look at the final four attendance in 2011.

"Around here" people care most about UConn basketball, it's all this state has for sports. Remember the horde? They followed the basketball team. They used to cover preseason practice very well. They haven't. That's what this thread is about. It has nothing to do with football.[/quote]

Reaction Score
One thing that happened is that the Horde as it existed is no more. At one time all these local papers had their own sports writers. Now a bunch of them are owned by the same parent and carry the same report. So rather than 4 or 5 guys from Middletown, New Britain, New Haven, and Bristol all covering something, there is one. And some of the local papers are really pulling in ther horns and focusing almost exclusively on local stuff. they may carry a wire service report on UConn but more likely the sports reporter is covering the local high school and if there is one the local college team regardless of the level. I know our local paper has as much news on the local D-3 school as it has on UConn and the local reporter covers local sports. UConn is either wire service or the parent company's reporter and is usually on page 2 with th ehigh school and the local college team on page 1 of sports. And I've seen the same thing in other cities.

Reaction Score
"Around here" people care most about UConn basketball, it's all this state has for sports. Remember the horde? They followed the basketball team. They used to cover preseason practice very well. They haven't. That's what this thread is about. It has nothing to do with football.
[/quote]

You seem to be really delusional about the impact of UConn basketball. More people care about pro sports in Connecticut than UConn sports.

Reaction Score

You seem to be really delusional about the impact of UConn basketball. More people care about pro sports in Connecticut than UConn sports.[/quote]

Dude, where you from? UConn is treated like professional sports in this state. You sound like an outsider. Anyway, you're the one who brought up UConn football, which has nothing to do with local media's coverage of the bball team.

Reaction Score
Am I so delusional that I am the only one who thinks UConn men's basketball is more popular than UConn football?

Reaction Score
Am I so delusional that I am the only one who thinks UConn men's basketball is more popular than UConn football?

You're just completely misstating my position. I never questioned that. But yes, UConn's football coverage affects UConn's basketball coverage. If you don't think they are at all connected, I don't know what to tell you.

And I've lived in Connecticut for a majority of my life. UConn is just not going to outdo the NFL. Sorry.

Reaction Score
There are many NFL fans no doubt but it's hard to measure.......coming from a sales organization I get to talk to so many people at so many companies and there's not too many places who aren't ready to talk UConn hoops as much, if not more, than the NFL. The NFL has the jump starting at the end of the summer but UConn hoops catches up fast and gains momentum once Jan/Feb comes around!

NFL has the edge but it's not as much as you may believe!!

Reaction Score
You're misstating mine also. UConn isn't going to outdo the NFL, duh. But when or how would UConn football coverage conflict with basketball coverage? That was the point. It never has. Why start now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom