Media expectations........ | The Boneyard

Media expectations........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A full week and a couple weekends of practice I must admit minus a couple of recruiting tidbits from Duffy (nice job) and blogs I am disappointed in CT's papers coverage of the Mens hoop team. Very little on who is playing well and who isn't except in a couple quick quotes from KO......

9 days and Midnight Madness and very little to offer from the mens camp.....stories on newcomers came early but finding out how people are progressing, getting comfortable, improvements etc etc has been short and not sweet.

C'mon guys, go sit and chat with Phil Chardis and get some pointers and keep us updated better huh?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
A full week and a couple weekends of practice I must admit minus a couple of recruiting tidbits from Duffy (nice job) and blogs I am disappointed in CT's papers coverage of the Mens hoop team. Very little on who is playing well and who isn't except in a couple quick quotes from KO......

9 days and Midnight Madness and very little to offer from the mens camp.....stories on newcomers came early but finding out how people are progressing, getting comfortable, improvements etc etc has been short and not sweet.

C'mon guys, go sit and chat with Phil Chardis and get some pointers and keep us updated better huh?!?!?!?
Dude, it's football season. That's heresy to speak of basketball during football, or spring football. The media already has their memo on it. You've been served. ;^)

Reaction Score
Yea the media coverage has been terrible across the board from every writer. I don't know if its because of the post season ban and the fact that we're not supposed to be that good, but there is still a fanbase out here that is looking forward to the season, especially with what's at stake for the future of the program. The recruiting tidbits are nice but I care about the current players and who is actually wearing a UConn jersey now. Outside of the first practice there hasn't been anything new since, if Jon Rothstein and Andy Katz can attend a practice, what is stopping our own reporters from taking in a practice and writing about what they see?

Reaction Score
Dude, it's football season. That's heresy to speak of basketball during football, or spring football. The media already has their memo on it. You've been served. ;^)

With the football season UConn is having, I'm surprised that all the reporters aren't at the bball practices. :)

Reaction Score
You can check out stuff about UConn Men's basketball here! It does not have much about the players for the upcoming season yet, but it will. Right now it does a review of the past couple seasons and looks ahead to the uncertain future.
But yes I agree. I have not seen much about the upcoming season and about the players on the team. I would like to see more coverage of this because the season is rapidly approaching

Reaction Score

Did UConn suddenly become a football school? I'd rather hear about a pickup basketball game than a UConn bowl game, if they ever get back to that point again.

Reaction Score
I have heard from a few guys that there has been more closed door practices this year then in the past.

Reaction Score
Did UConn suddenly become a football school? I'd rather hear about a pickup basketball game than a UConn bowl game, if they ever get back to that point again.

You'd be in the minority then.

Reaction Score
More than fine with me, UConn football doesn't spark my interest in the slightest, and I know plenty of people who feel the same.
Let's face it, UConn is a hoops school first, and it isn't even close. Unfortunately, interest has waned, a bit, in football. With the current FB leadership, interest has waned even further. It (interest) shouldn't have to slip further.
Having said that, interest will slip a bit, this year, for hoops. Best we can hope for is a spirited group of players (and coaches) playing as well as they can, setting things up, successfully, for the coming years.
Some additional info on practices would surely help. Especially considering most of the CT papers assign different reporters to cover hoops as those who cover FB.

Reaction Score
More than fine with me, UConn football doesn't spark my interest in the slightest, and I know plenty of people who feel the same.

Ok, but again, you're in the minority. So most people are going to want football coverage at this point, so that's what the media is going to focus on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's face it, UConn is a hoops school first, and it isn't even close. Unfortunately, interest has waned, a bit, in football. With the current FB leadership, interest has waned even further. It (interest) shouldn't have to slip further.
Having said that, interest will slip a bit, this year, for hoops. Best we can hope for is a spirited group of players (and coaches) playing as well as they can, setting things up, successfully, for the coming years.
Some additional info on practices would surely help. Especially considering most of the CT papers assign different reporters to cover hoops as those who cover FB.

Football better right the ship quickly, or it risks putting a real damper on fan interest. In the 80's UConn was basketball first over...soccer. Football was pretty far down. I'm excited that we made the jump, but we need to sustain interest much better.

I think the media assumes that basketball interest is down due to the ban. But the reality is, I'm excited to see how they play for Ollie, what kind of systems he runs, how the new guys perform and whether the existing players can step up. It has the potential to be a fun season despite the ban. Would love to see us play the spoiler role.

Reaction Score
Ok, but again, you're in the minority. So most people are going to want football coverage at this point, so that's what the media is going to focus on.

The only sportswriter of the major CT papers who covers both sports is Daigneault(sp), and I don't think too many people read him anyway. I don't see how fan interest in UConn football is stopping Amore, Borges, Keefe, Ostroutt, and Duffy from writing about a sport they actually cover. If husky99's post regarding closed practices is true then I guess that's an excuse, but those practices weren't closed for Rothstein & Katz.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The media has told us that there's nothing to play for this year. To me, it's just the opposite. They are playing to retain/regain the respect that this program has earned over the years. They are playing for KO's contract, which is more important to the program in the long term than an NCAA berth this year.

Reaction Score
The only sportswriter of the major CT papers who covers both sports is Daigneault(sp), and I don't think too many people read him anyway. I don't see how fan interest in UConn football is stopping Amore, Borges, Keefe, Ostroutt, and Duffy from writing about a sport they actually cover. If husky99's post regarding closed practices is true then I guess that's an excuse, but those practices weren't closed for Rothstein & Katz.

Those guys all work for papers that are relatively small, with pretty small sports sections. There isn't a lot of room with football going on. They could try and put stuff up on the website, but they'd ideally want to have blog posts on the website to accompany the print piece.

They were all there last weekend, and most of the time the media is only granted access to practice the day before a game anyways.

Reaction Score

Not sure about the "in the minority" thing is all about.......even when they were fun to watch and decent it was more intriguing to hear about Mens hoops than the football team.....now they are plain pitiful and should be on the 2nd page behind hoops practice.

Unless of course they do the right thing and get rid of PP and GD now............just guessing many Uconn hoops fans aren't exactly all in when it comes to football.........for instance I grew up a ND fan and still am, especially now. Although I wanted UConn football to reach the pinnacle the mens hoops team did, it doesn't seem like it will happen too soon. Went to South Bend a couple years back, sat with Hsuky fans and had a great weekend. It's not the same now as I need to be entertained and although loyal to the hoops team, not for the grid iron. ND is my squad this year again and the UC football team is not at all fun to watch. So therefore I am only guessing, but there are more "add ons" because of Mens Hoops than you think!?!?! I could be wrong though............

Reaction Score
Not sure about the "in the minority" thing is all about.......even when they were fun to watch and decent it was more intriguing to hear about Mens hoops than the football team.....now they are plain pitiful and should be on the 2nd page behind hoops practice.

Unless of course they do the right thing and get rid of PP and GD now............just guessing many Uconn hoops fans aren't exactly all in when it comes to football.........for instance I grew up a ND fan and still am, especially now. Although I wanted UConn football to reach the pinnacle the mens hoops team did, it doesn't seem like it will happen too soon. Went to South Bend a couple years back, sat with Hsuky fans and had a great weekend. It's not the same now as I need to be entertained and although loyal to the hoops team, not for the grid iron. ND is my squad this year again and the UC football team is not at all fun to watch. So therefore I am only guessing, but there are more "add ons" because of Mens Hoops than you think!?!?! I could be wrong though............

You're a die hard UConn men's basketball fan, not the average fan who isn't going to care as much.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are there UConn fans who are UCFB fans partially because of basketball? Of course. The media is going to cover the team regardless of its success, even if a fair weather football fan is rooting for another team.

Reaction Score
I think the media assumes that basketball interest is down due to the ban. But the reality is, I'm excited to see how they play for Ollie, what kind of systems he runs, how the new guys perform and whether the existing players can step up. It has the potential to be a fun season despite the ban. Would love to see us play the spoiler role.

That's exactly how I feel, Hawk. I am actually excited and optimistic. the ban! This is the start of a new era. And UConn basketball has my support as much as it always has. Names may have changed, but not the name on the front of the jersey.

Reaction Score
Those guys all work for papers that are relatively small, with pretty small sports sections. There isn't a lot of room with football going on. They could try and put stuff up on the website, but they'd ideally want to have blog posts on the website to accompany the print piece.

They were all there last weekend, and most of the time the media is only granted access to practice the day before a game anyways.

john, it's this simple: UConn basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UConn football.
No matter what, football should take a backseat to basketball at the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
You're a die hard UConn men's basketball fan, not the average fan who isn't going to care as much.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are there UConn fans who are UCFB fans partially because of basketball? Of course. The media is going to cover the team regardless of its success, even if a fair weather football fan is rooting for another team.

The average UConn sports fan is a basketball fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom