McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 10 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This.... from one of the best people I've met through the Boneyard. With a mutual affinity for Brian Sparks[/QUOTE\]

Was Sparks the kid who ran the short square ins and went to the ground, and the ball was only thrown to him like we were watching a Dr. Tom Davis team feed the post? I loved that kid, and IIRC he caught one for 6 in our Motor City Bowl win.

Reaction Score
All of you "bring back Randy" posters blow my mind. For the last two months everyone has been clammoring for UCONN to be more offensive minded. Randy doesn't fit that description.
We also talked about either bringing in a big name or an up and coming cuperstar. Randy fits neither description. He is a retread like PP.
Yes it would be really tough to bring back a guy who knows how to win here. He also had very high scoring offenses with Dan O. He's a former qb who knows all about offenses, defenses and special teams, but apparently is not a sexy enough hire for some on this board.

Reaction Score
I don't post here often but I would like to weigh in on the possibility of Randy coming back. First of all, I would be thrilled. I understand the anger many still hold about the way he left and I felt the same way for a time. The back story though is that in his contract, when we made it to a BCS bowl he contract was to automatically be renegotiated. After we got in the Fiesta bowl his agent reached out to our AD WEEKS before the game and was rebuffed numerous times. Finally, one week before the game they wanted to talk and Randy said no because he had a game to prepare for! That was the final straw and he told his people to talk seriously with MD. I also know that the way his team found out is the biggest regret of his career. He acquiesced to MD's wishes on the announcement and it was a mistake.

Secondly, I think the belief that his hire automatically means a boring offense is not necessarily true. At MD they ran a spread offense that fit their personnel. I think back to the Orlovsky days and we were anything but conservative. I know one thing for sure, we will be prepared and fiasco's like the Tulane game won't happen.

Finally, and this is personal, Randy will restore and protect the legacy and importance of Jazz and his teammates. He is why we were able to get that statue done in 6 months! I have resisted posting any of the problems I had with Diaco regarding this and the way BD paid lip service at best to our history. He said a number of things publicly but he wanted to pretend like this was his program to build, as if any success from the past didn't exist. He refused to embrace those teams that built us into the fastest rising FBS team in history. A quick example is this years awards ceremony. The Jasper Howard award did not go to Jhavon Williams. This is no slight to Noel Thomas who is a great young man and deserves every other accolade he receives, but Jhavon came here because of Jazz. He asked Jazz's family for permission to wear the number. He started 41 straight games and did so with Jazz's legacy in mind. That award belonged to him, and BD was either incredibly tone deaf or actively ignored what the award was meant to be about.

Randy will embrace all that was and should be remembered about our history. I believe that this may be exactly the perfect hire to reconnect to what Connecticut football should be about. Maybe there will be a second act in UConn history.
Interesting. I wonder how many things Diacob said publucly that weren't true.

Reaction Score
Why do people think Edsall is a safe pick? HCPP was a "Safe" choice too if you looked at his Syracuse background. No guarantee Edsall can replicate what he did a over half-a-decade ago. Lot of things have changed since Edsall was here.

Hiring Edsall now is just like hiring P when Edsall left. Old, best days behind him, failed in his last job, working as an NFL assistant.

Nothing against Randy and I don't have any issue with the way he left. My personal experiences with him are the exact opposite of sportsart's, but at the end of the day I just don't think he'll succeed.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

I disagree with his tweet. I see a lot of mixed feelings on this board. Many are like me. We prefer someone else, in my case Miles, Helfrich, Moorhead or Houston, but if those don't pan out then we could accept Edsall. I think there's a lot of people who think Edsall would do a decent job, we just want to aim higher to get the program where it needs to get. Edsall just isn't the choice that's going to make people rush to buy season tickets the way Miles, Helfrich or Moorhead would. That's a key factor to remember.

Reaction Score
All of you "bring back Randy" posters blow my mind. For the last two months everyone has been clammoring for UCONN to be more offensive minded. Randy doesn't fit that description.
We also talked about either bringing in a big name or an up and coming cuperstar. Randy fits neither description. He is a retread like PP.

No, not everyone has. Many who really love the program are far more concerned about winning and being competitive than style points.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I disagree with his tweet. I see a lot of mixed feelings on this board. Many are like me. We prefer someone else, in my case Miles, Helfrich, Moorhead or Houston, but if those don't pan out then we could accept Edsall. I think there's a lot of people who think Edsall would do a decent job, we just want to aim higher to get the program where it needs to get. Edsall just isn't the choice that's going to make people rush to buy season tickets the way Miles, Helfrich or Moorhead would. That's a key factor to remember.
I know Jeff writes for a living and all but doesn't having mixed feelings mean that you are wishy-washy?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I know Jeff writes for a living and all but doesn't having mixed feelings mean that you are wishy-washy?
Although to be fair, I guess, it's pretty well established that tweeting cannot be judged as 'writing'.

Reaction Score
No, not everyone has. Many who really love the program are far more concerned about winning and being competitive than style points.
I take it then you would support the return of PP to UCONN. A retread is a retread.
What from the Maryland experience leads you to believe he can replicate what he had previously at UCONN.
He may be an easy get, but he doesn't heal the fractured fan base.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I take it then you would support the return of PP to UCONN. A retread is a retread.
What from the Maryland experience leads you to believe he can replicate what he had previously at UCONN.

So Randy is equivalent to PP in your mind? I think I've read it all now.

Reaction Score
This GIF accurately reflects my feelings about Randy Edsall being the coach of the UConn Football team again.

VYJUH2T.gif

Reaction Score

So by your theory New England screwed up hiring Bellicheck? Good luck with your theories.

Reaction Score
So Randy is equivalent to PP in your mind? I think I've read it all now.

Maybe you should ask the Maryland fans that question. If Randy is so great why is he an administrator for the,Lions rather than a candidate for other head coaching jobs.

Reaction Score
So by your theory New England screwed up hiring Bellicheck? Good luck with your theories.

You are usually pretty rational in your posts. I respect your game summaries, but I think your bringing Bellicheck up as your yardstick is pretty weak. How does that fit with the Bills hiring a failed Jets coach? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When you have a program hanging on by a thread, I don't think you take the chance on a retread.

Reaction Score
He was a transfer from WPI. The finest school in all the land

Reaction Score
I loved HCRE when he was here. The photo of Randy leading thr Huskies out of the Notre Dame tunnel adorns mt den. Memories of triumphs against West Virginia, USF, Pitt, Iowa State, Navy, South Carolina and the Irish dance through my head.

And I know Randy departed in large part because of that Hathaway.

That said, I think the bus has already departed for Randy and I am not optimistic that Randy has the same fire in his belly. Not sure who the man is here, but Al Golden would not disappoint, and Joe Moorhead would excite me.

Reaction Score
Of course he's interested. No other D1 school will give him a head coaching job.
UC...At no point did my reply have anything to do with if Randy was interested. :confused: :confused:
Sorry my point eluded you...:(

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
My guess is that there are plenty of retreads who have been successful in a second chance scenario, some spectacularly so (i.e. Belichick, Carroll, Snyder) and there are plenty of exciting up and comers who were largely failures at the next level (Hazell, Strong, Diaco). Many retreads are in fact up and comers who then failed (i.e. Golden).

Each circumstance merits its own examination and slapping a broad brush to all coaches who have had a failure at some point in their career s pretty simplistic.

Reaction Score
Do you not see the equivalencies? Seriously?

The biggest difference is Randy doesn't have a GDL in his life. P could have won here, Moorhead was handed to him as OC on a silver platter but he instead turned the position over to doctor evil. Syracuse fans will tell you GDL ruined P there too.

Edsall is a better manager of coaches and more nimble mentally IMO. P was stuck in the past.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's ridiculous. Fans want a winning program no matter who the coach is.
...and Edsall won't give it to you. He is a retread. No one wants to admit it - he is a .500 coach at best. Flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom