McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 8 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why do people think Edsall is a safe pick? HCPP was a "Safe" choice too if you looked at his Syracuse background. No guarantee Edsall can replicate what he did a over half-a-decade ago. Lot of things have changed since Edsall was here.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I honestly just don't see Benedict going with Randy Edsall... Doesn't seem to mesh well. And the dude hasn't coached college ball since 2015. I dont know, but I feel like we can (and should) do better than running back to our old girlfriend Randy Edsall right now... It's pathetic that he's even on the radar (if that's true)...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If he gets the job?

I just wanted to be the first one to be that guy...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Why do people think Edsall is a safe pick? HCPP was a "Safe" choice too if you looked at his Syracuse background. No guarantee Edsall can replicate what he did a over half-a-decade ago. Lot of things have changed since Edsall was here.
Everything has changed... College Football is not the same it was. No way in 2017 we can go 8-4 and win our conference and make a New Year's Six Bowl. LOL

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a different time. RE has been taken down a peg and may be open to letting someone else run the offense. I would also guess it would be a DB condition of employment.

It's also a different time in that Edsall isn't the guy who got a fledgling UConn FBS program to several bowls including a lucky Fiesta. Now he's the guy who flopped at Maryland. Kids he could have recruited as a successful UConn coach aren't going to come play for a guy who failed at a mid level P5. I do not believe he could do now what he could have done had he stayed here. Times have changed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OK. I'm going to let DB make this call and if it's Randy, it's Randy. I don't think any of us can have a clear head about him. Dave wasn't here doesn't really know him and I trust he wouldn't give him any special treatment. If he determines that Randy is the coach we need, if not the coach we want I won't complian until the wins and losses pile up.

I would just add that if at his opening press conference he happend to announce the return of the Block C, it wouldn't hurt.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
It's also a different time in that Edsall isn't the guy who got a fledgling UConn FBS program to several bowls including a lucky Fiesta. Now he's the guy who flopped at Maryland. Kids he could have recruited as a successful UConn coach aren't going to come play for a guy who failed at a mid level P5. I do not believe he could do now what he could have done had he stayed here. Times have changed.
Say what you want about FHCRE but saying "lucky Fiesta" is a disservice to all those players that took us to the biggest bowl in our history, 10 shorts years after being 1-AA.

Reaction Score
I'm right there with you was at all the same games...but I also hear the same week after week at Rentschler about games, defense, and style of offense played...and I can tell you that what Edsall does is NOT what people want to see...
We got spoiled with wins and then got greedy for style points I was as guilty as the next guy. But I can only count on less than one hand the WTF losses under him. And I would take that right now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Joe Gibbs was like 90
Set Joe Gibbs' birth year for 1940 and recompute, considering he was rehired for the 2004 season. You'll find he was only 6 years older than Edsall is right now.

More similarities:
1. Both ran/run run-heavy offenses, contrary to the trend of their respective games.
2. Both came back (may come back) to their original team under very different personnel rules (Gibbs-salary cap. Edsall will have to recruit sans AQ status.)
3. Both lost lost a defensive back to a senseless murder.

What are the differences? Gibbs had more than merely moderate success in his 1st go-round.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Say what you want about FHCRE but saying "lucky Fiesta" is a disservice to all those players that took us to the biggest bowl in our history, 10 shorts years after being 1-AA.

When you go 8-5 and are in a three way tie in your league, and come out ahead on the tiebreaker, that's pretty lucky. The 2009 team was better. We benefited from excessive parity in the Big East. Won some key games, so I don't dismiss what they accomplished, and think they played pretty well against OU until late.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The school's ceiling is the G5 ceiling and the G5 ceiling is where we need to be when the next round of cr kicks off. If we can get to cycling between 8-10 win seasons in the AAC we won't be as vulnerable to ridicule as a team that peaked at 6 wins over a 6 year period. Otoh, it'll be a slow build in ticket sales if hcre comes back. We won't get a spike off the hire but fans will come back when (if) he starts winning games. I'm still hoping we've already got a deal with Morehead but the rumours of a quick announcement don't bode well for that. I could live with RE as a #2 option but I wouldn't be blown away by it. I'm really opposed to Miles for a couple of reasons: 1) I think it's been a long time (if ever) since he's dealt with the kinds of challenges he'd have to face here (with the school, with the recruiting pool; with paying for a staff, etc...) and, 2) I've had enough wackiness over the last three years - if we replace wacky diacky with the mad hatter we are truly through the looking glass.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
When you go 8-5 and are in a three way tie in your league, and come out ahead on the tiebreaker, that's pretty lucky. The 2009 team was better. We benefited from excessive parity in the Big East. Won some key games, so I don't dismiss what they accomplished, and think they played pretty well against OU until late.
people remember that game as ugly but it was a close enough game going into the fourth, we just didn't have enough offense to come back against that level of opposition

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
OK. I'm going to let DB make this call and if it's Randy, it's Randy. I don't think any of us can have a clear head about him. Dave wasn't here doesn't really know him and I trust he wouldn't give him any special treatment. If he determines that Randy is the coach we need, if not the coach we want I won't complian until the wins and losses pile up.

I would just add that if at his opening press conference he happend to announce the return of the Block C, it wouldn't hurt.
I'm more interested in the return of blocking.

Reaction Score
I'm more interested in the return of blocking.

This would be the best thing about Edsall coming back. Even if he has the same plan as Diaco, we know he'll execute it better.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Guess I am sensitive to terms like "lucky" related to our Fiesta Bowl appearance, given all of the national backlash.

Reaction Score
Hated the way he left, and rooted for him to fail in his dream job. Just want to be smash-mouth again and WIN!

Why he left for Maryland the way he did was explained many times over . . . he had no choice if he wanted to coach UConn in the Fiesta Bowl.

As for " just want to be smash-mouth again" . . . . the 60's called, they want that philosophy back. PLEASE NO. College football is about high scoring explosive offenses.

Reaction Score
If any serious thought is being given to bringing Randy back, just tell Diaco that we've changed our mind and want him to continue. Randy is not the answer. It would be an awful move for UConn football.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing Randy return. At least we would be competent again. Also Edsall knows how to put together a quality staff unlike our recent blunder.

I'm all in with Edsall. Bring back Foley, find a decent offensive coordinator and lets get back to winning most of our home games.

BTW Edsall biggest mistake at Maryland was replacing a popular coach coming off a very successful season...Edsall was doomed from the start there

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
He's definitely not my first choice but if that is the way it broke I'd be OK with it. I think he learned some lessons in MD and would come eager to win back the fan base. All 3 phases would play better fundamental football from the start. Not sexy, certainly controversial but he would be a solid hire.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Why he left for Maryland the way he did was explained many times over . . . he had no choice if he wanted to coach UConn in the Fiesta Bowl.

As for " just want to be smash-mouth again" . . . . the 60's called, they want that philosophy back. PLEASE NO. College football is about high scoring explosive offenses.
I hear Mike Ditka is looking to get back into coaching. Being assistant soccer coach for the Tigers isn't doing it for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom