McDonalds All-American Girls HS Game 3/29 ESPN2 5:00-6:30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McDonalds All-American Girls HS Game 3/29 ESPN2 5:00-6:30

Reaction Score
I'm leaving work early and heading over there later today!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I always want to go but the girls' game starts so early. Hard to take off 2 hours of work on a random Wednesday just to see a basketball game.

Naturally, I'll be looking forward to seeing Danielle Patterson. Haven't seen that many clips of her yet, so this will be fun.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just curious. Someone posted the Hoopgurlz ranking of high school prospects for the 2013 class, which showed how badly they had evaluated the talent. I wonder how that 2013 class and other classes looked in the McDonald's All-American game? Did the two dozen kids selected by McD turn out to be the better players in the class? Did they select the real top talent, as compared with what Hoopgurlz claimed were the best? Did the kids performing well in that McD AA game turn out to be the top players in college?

Just curious....

2013 McDonald's All American rosters (HG ranking in parenthesis)
East
Lindsay Allen (25)
Makayla Epps (37)
Kaela Davis (2)
Lexie Brown (15)
Diamond DeShields (3)
Ieshia Small (19)
Taya Reimer (4)
Nia Coffey (24)
Ronni Williams (13)
Stephanie Mavunga (23)
Kai James (22)
Alaina Coates (28)

West
Jessica Washington (14)
Kelsey Plum (26)
Tyler Scaife (9)
Rebekah Dahlman (16)
Linnae Harper (5)
Rebecca Greenwell (6)
Jordan Reynolds (42)
Oderah Chidom (10)
Erica McCall (11)
Kailee Johnson (20)
Mercedes Russell (1)
Kendall Cooper (12)

McD's is theoretically the 24 best players (plus or minus some fudging for positional balance) and they did have Epps, Plum, Coates, and Allen on the rosters. All outside the HG top 24 but ultimately very good college players. The HG top-24 players not on the McD's roster were - Allisha Gray, Jannah Tucker, Jessica Jackson, Raigyne Moncrief, Marques Webb. So yes, it looks like the McD's selectors did a better job evaluating talent than HG did that year.

For what it's worth, the West crushed the East that year. I believe Russell was the MVP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you. I try to watch these games with my players, especially since we are on Spring Break.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder how that 2013 class and other classes looked in the McDonald's All-American game? Did the two dozen kids selected by McD turn out to be the better players in the class? Did the kids performing well in that McD AA game turn out to be the top players in college?

Just curious....

It all depends s on your POV. One of the less heralded players from the 2013 McD AA game turned out to be this year's POY-Kelsey Plum. Three (DeShields, Reynolds, Russell) of the players from the game flame out @ TN. Three (Greenwell, Chidon & Cooper) had Sub-par careers at Duke. Three (Deshields, Washinton, Mavunga) enrolled initially at UNC and have all transferred. 5 players (Chantel Osahor- Was, Brionna Jones-MD, Alexis Peterson-Syracuse, Sydney Wiese-Oregon St., Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, MD, not in the McD AA game managed to make AP 1st, 2nd or 3rd team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It all depends s on your POV. One of the less heralded players from the 2013 McD AA game turned out to be this year's POY-Kelsey Plum. Three (DeShields, Reynolds, Russell) of the players from the game flame out @ TN. Three (Greenwell, Chidon & Cooper) had Sub-par careers at Duke. Three (Deshields, Washinton, Mavunga) enrolled initially at UNC and have all transferred. 5 players (Chantel Osahor- Was, Brionna Jones-MD, Alexis Peterson-Syracuse, Sydney Wiese-Oregon St., Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, MD, not in the McD AA game managed to make AP 1st, 2nd or 3rd team.

I'll give you Cooper and Chidom but I would in no way classify Greenwell's Duke career as "sub-par".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll give you Cooper and Chidom but I would in no way classify Greenwell's Duke career as "sub-par".
She was ranked 6th in the class and was hurt as a Freshmen in Sophmore so you maybe be right. But that the last concession I'm making today.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes. Mixed being boys/girls was not the issue. That was obvious, I wanted to know more about the type of shooting. I have no idea what "IIRC" is. Thanks
If I Remember Correctly.

LOL, LOLZ, WTF, BTW, TTYL, WBYCEIYDBO, YMMV. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My predictions:

Because it's an all-star game, only a few players will play defense and there will be lots of shots and not many assists.

A small number or players will really stand out, if only because of making shots, but a few will show clearly superior athleticism and/or skills. Think Maya Moore's game, though I don't see anyone quite like that (Meg is close).

At least one under-the-radar player will impress. I'm thinking Stanford-bound Maya Dodson. Destiny Slocum impressed me last year.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Chastity Patterson is quick. I think she will have a impact at Texas.

For a sec I was thinking she was signed at Maryland and I'm like lord please don't give them another exceptional guard! Hope she helps continue the success Texas has had of late

Wait...she is the one who has been draining the 3s right?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rough start for Meg but the athleticism is there

Unfortunately, her mindset from the opening interview was to "entertain" and "lead". This has led to 1 on 1 ball . :( I imagine Meg has to get it out of her system since that stops Day 1 at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom