Maya Shifts Focus in 2019 [Merged Thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Maya Shifts Focus in 2019 [Merged Thread]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Will always love Maya - whatever she does with her life. Wishing her the very best for professional success, but also for personal fulfillment. It sounds like she's filling her soul differently, and I applaud her courage to follow her dreams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Will always love Maya - whatever she does with her life. Wishing her the very best for professional success, but also for personal fulfillment. It sounds like she's filling her soul differently, and I applaud her courage to follow her dreams.

Maya has paid her dues. She plays hard all the time. Takes no plays off. Is the consummate teammate on and off the court. You've NEVER heard her name associated with any off court distractions, legal or personal (social) issues.

Players and ownership keep reminding us that it's not personal......"it's just business." As we all know, and have known for decades, there's no loyalty in professional sports. When you can no longer perform, when a younger player comes along that demands less money that you do, and is a step quicker than you, or when another team wants you more than your current team (current Laker players on the block for Anthony Davis), they will trade or release you, and move on.

The Detroit Lions did the same thing to Barry Sanders. He wanted to move on and play else where to try and win a championship that he knew he would never win there. He gave his heart and soul to that team for 10 years (19891998). The Lions refused to trade him, so he retired.

I hope the Lynx don't play hardball with Maya. Not only would it be look bad in the media, but to other players that may contemplate coming to the Lynx in the future as well. For whatever reason she wants to leave. She's given them 8 of the best years of her professional life along with 4 championships.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maya has paid her dues. She plays hard all the time. Takes no plays off. Is the consummate teammate on and off the court. You've NEVER heard her name associated with any off court distractions, legal or personal (social) issues.

Players and ownership keep reminding us that it's not personal."it's just business." As we all know, and have known for decades, there's no loyalty in professional sports. When you can no longer perform, when a younger player comes along that demands less money that you do, or when another team wants you more than your current team (current Laker players on the block for Anthony Davis), they will trade or release you, and move on.

The Detroit Lions did the same thing to Barry Sanders. He wanted to move on and play else where to try and win a championship that he knew he would never win there. He gave his heart and soul to that team for 10 years (19891998). The Lions refused to trade him, so he retired.

I hope the Lynx don't play hardball with Maya. Not only would it be look bad in the media, but to other players that may contemplate coming to the Lynx in the future as well. For whatever reason she wants to leave. She's given them 8 of the best years of her professional life along with 4 championships.

I am confused. Maybe I missed something. Is there any evidence the Lynx acted in anyway to impede what she wanted to do?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well let's see what she spends her time doing and the answers will become clear in their own time.

I wish her the very best.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am confused. Maybe I missed something. Is there any evidence the Lynx acted in anyway to impede what she wanted to do?

I don't know. I replying to the comments that I'm reading here in the yard. I'm taking for granted that those that have already commented here (5 pages worth) know more about this than I do. If she does want to leave, will they accommodate her and trade her, or refuse her "wishes", and force her to pursue other courses of action?

My reply is to what I've read here in the yard, and assume there is some truth to the substance of their narratives. If they are wrong or off base, then so am I.

I'm like Will Rogers in this case, "All I know is what I read in the newspapers" (Boneyard). I'm not getting or hearing anything (news or reports) out here on the west coast about Maya and her wishes for the coming season. Wbbfan1's post is the first I've heard of Maya wanting out out Minnesota.

THIS JUST IN............................This was posted in the courant a moment ago. It looks as though there is some truth to their comments.

Former UConn star Maya Moore won’t play professional basketball in 2019, will focus on ‘ministry dreams'

Former UConn star Maya Moore has announced via The Players Tribune that she will not be playing professional basketball in 2019. Maya Moore will take the year off from professional basketball, the former UConn star announced Tuesday in an essay on The Players' Tribune website.

“I learned a long time ago that my purpose is to know Jesus and to make Him known,” Moore wrote. “My focus in 2019 will not be on professional basketball, but will instead be on the people in my family, as well as on investing my time in some ministry dreams that have been stirring in my heart for many years."

Moore wrote that she will miss seeing her teammates every day but looks forward to focusing on family and faith. Moore has spent eight seasons with the Minnesota Lynx, earning five first-team all-WNBA honors and winning four league titles. She has typically spent the WNBA offseason playing overseas, most recently for UMMC Ekaterinburg of the Russian Premier League.

Update - Per a report on ESPN SportsCenter this morning (Feb 6), Maya signed a new contract with the Lynx just prior to her announcement. This puts to rest any speculation about her wanting out of Minnesota.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the year at least.

1549412639642.png

Former UConn star Maya Moore won’t play professional basketball in 2019, will focus on ‘ministry dreams' - Hartford Courant

“I learned a long time ago that my purpose is to know Jesus and to make Him known,” Moore wrote. “My focus in 2019 will not be on professional basketball, but will instead be on the people in my family, as well as on investing my time in some ministry dreams that have been stirring in my heart for many years."

Go ahead. Argue with that.

Do what you gotta do Maya.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
the shaq thing is a gif..... i think the kermit type stuff is a meme

View attachment 38383
A GIF is an animation presented in a particular format. A meme is an idea, or cultural behavior that spreads to become accepted as a a representation. So a meme can be presented in GIF format, but does not have to be displayed that way. :)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Just a thought: Maya is in no way deserting her vocation. The very word "vocation" comes from the Latin "vocare," which means "a call." She has been called to ministry, and is responding to it. I am very happy for her, even if I will miss seeing her play basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I just always like to take advantage of opportunities I have to cast life-giving visions. I think that is something I’ve been the beneficiary of with great coaches like Geno Auriemma and Cheryl Reeve on the Lynx right now. You need people to give you beautiful visions to run after. I get opportunities because of my platform to paint visions of “This is how good we can be.” That’s really what’s exciting me now and is going to last throughout my career. " Maya, January 24, 2018

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow--selfishly I'm super bummed we wont get to see her next year, but props to her for going after what she wants. She has absolutely nothing left to accomplish as a pro athlete, she's achieved everything. She is the ultimate winner in this sport and has always been a class act.

At this point it time it's hard to rank anybody ahead of her (even DT) considering Maya's list of accomplishments:
Post College (8 years):
4x WNBA Champion
6 Final Appearances in 8 WNBA seasons
Career 200-72 record in 8 WNBA seasons
Career 40-16 record in WNBA playoffs
WNBA MVP, Finals MVP, ROY and 2x All Star Game MVP
2x Olympic Gold Medalist and 2x World Champion
5x 1st Team All-WNBA

Collegiately:
3x NPOY
Final Four MOP
4x Unanimous 1st Team AP All American
All time leading scorer at UCONN with 3036, 2nd in career rebounds, 4th in steals
150-4 career record
2 National Championships
4 Final Fours

HS:
2x National POY
3x State Player of the Year
3x State Champion
125-3

I'd love to see her back on the court in 2020 if she decides to return, but I wish her all the best regardless of what happens. Congrats on an incredible career from a Tennessee fan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow--selfishly I'm super bummed we wont get to see her next year, but props to her for going after what she wants. She has absolutely nothing left to accomplish as a pro athlete, she's achieved everything. She is the ultimate winner in this sport and has always been a class act.

At this point it time it's hard to rank anybody ahead of her (even DT) considering Maya's list of accomplishments:
Post College (8 years):
4x WNBA Champion
6 Final Appearances in 8 WNBA seasons
Career 200-72 record in 8 WNBA seasons
Career 40-16 record in WNBA playoffs
WNBA MVP, Finals MVP, ROY and 2x All Star Game MVP
2x Olympic Gold Medalist and 2x World Champion
5x 1st Team All-WNBA

Collegiately:
3x NPOY
Final Four MOP
4x Unanimous 1st Team AP All American
All time leading scorer at UCONN with 3036, 2nd in career rebounds, 4th in steals
150-4 career record
2 National Championships
4 Final Fours

HS:
2x National POY
3x State Player of the Year
3x State Champion
125-3

I'd love to see her back on the court in 2020 if she decides to return, but I wish her all the best regardless of what happens. Congrats on an incredible career from a Tennessee fan.
And you haven't mentioned the Chinese League, Spanish League, Euroleague, Olympics, or World Cup. I think she had something like 25 major championships over 14 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom