Maya Moore Officially Retires | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maya Moore Officially Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even though you know it was coming, it still hits hard. Thank you, Marvelous Maya for, not only your basketball accomplishments but also for your amazing heart. We, here in Minnesota, especially the Minneapolis area, greatly appreciate you for always giving your time to the Minneapolis/St. Paul community. Thank you and continued blessings to you and your amazing family.

Reaction Score
IMO she is the ONLY UCONN player who NEVER had a slump...Freshman, Soph, Junior or Senior years. She came into UCONN college ready both physically and mentally. Geno still singles her out as having never gone through the Freshman slump ALL UCONN players have gone through, Taurasi, Bird, Tina and Stewie included!! That and all of her individual records, team records (losing only 4 games in 4 years, still unmatched by any person or class), and her NCAA records make her the GOAT of UCONN!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, as a fan, I have to wonder what her career might have looked like had she not cut it short. Note that I’m not making a judgment call on that. Her efforts at criminal justice reform are noble self sacrifice. But, as a fan, I just can’t help but wonder what if.
Maya was on track to finish 1 or 2 in WNBA career scoring and 1 or 2 in WNBA career rebounding, along with the most rings ever. She would have been the GOAT between Diana and Stewie.

Maya was arguably the best player ever and possibly the best person ever. We were fortunate to have her for 4 years.

Reaction Score
IMO she is the ONLY UCONN player who NEVER had a slump...Freshman, Soph, Junior or Senior years. She came into UCONN college ready both physically and mentally. Geno still singles her out as having never gone through the Freshman slump ALL UCONN players have gone through, Taurasi, Bird, Tina and Stewie included!! That and all of her individual records, team records (losing only 4 games in 4 years, still unmatched by any person or class), and her NCAA records make her the GOAT of UCONN!
Wasn't there a class that only lost 2 games in 4 years? One of the ones after Stewie, Morgan, MoJeff, and Pulido left?

Reaction Score
I just hope that she is able to do well financially. It's hard out there. Hopefully her book deal will be successful. Hopefully she will be part of an ownership group on management of an NBA team somewhere. I could see her coaching also.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hopefully this is not getting old, but this is a good day to point it out. Through 4 year of high school, 4 years at UConn, and 8 years at Minnesota in the WNBA, Maya Moore missed 1 game--as a precaution. At UConn, she played all of the 154 games, scored in double-figures an NCAA record 149 times, and won 150 games. Her 149 double-figure scoring games is still the record and may last a very long time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She seems happy (on GMA with Robin Roberts this morning). I think her family means more than any accolades from basketball.
I'd say "seems" is the definitive word.

I just think she could have done so much more. Positively affected so many more people.

I'm just sad for her.

Reaction Score
She retires as an icon, legend, winner, philanthropist and an exemplary woman. If there are any statues created around Storrs it should be of her. UConn's all time leading scorer and she stands on a pedestal all on her own, wishing her a wonderful retirement.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I used to have a sequence of photos of a great move Maya made at the XL-Center,
must have been 2010-11. We saw it live and just gasped.

Of course I can't find it now, but if I do, I'll post it

What a monster performer and an estimable human being.
Godspeed.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Hopefully this is not getting old, but this is a good day to point it out. Through 4 year of high school, 4 years at UConn, and 8 years at Minnesota in the WNBA, Maya Moore missed 1 game--as a precaution. At UConn, she played all of the 154 games, scored in double-figures an NCAA record 149 times, and won 150 games. Her 149 double-figure scoring games is still the record and may last a very long time.
Maya could very well go down as the most durable elite athlete in our time, an amazing fact that takes a back seat to her phenomenal basketball acumen. But I think she excelled best with her unconditional devotion to universal human rights, a focus she will continue for the rest of her life. This aspect of her character is the reason she is my overall favorite GOAT and my most favorite UConn basketball graduate.

Reaction Score
I pretty much expected it. Sad to see her go, but I think she owed it to her team to let them know when she did, so that they can plan based on her not being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom