Maya Moore Officially Retires | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maya Moore Officially Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maya Moore is my favorite basketball player. When she stepped away four years ago I figured it would be the end. Learning what she sacrificed her career for, made her my favorite even more. So many athletes talk the talk, but she walked the walk. Thank you Maya

Reaction Score
As long as there's a Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart and Sue Bird, the debate on Goat of UConn will remain a debate. There's no clear winner and it's all preferences. Now if we're talking the Mt Rushmore of players, Maya is there, most likely front and center and there's no debate there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Need 5 years after playing. Maya is eligible next year.

Is it five years after last plane or five years after officially retiring?

Reaction Score
I don’t know much, if anything, about Moore as a player or the details of her journey with her husband but how can one not applaud and respect a person who walks the walk as she does?

CL82

Reaction Score
Mongo just repeat things he hears.
I took a quick look in the rule is that a player must be “completely retired“ for at least four years. In Maya’s case, since she didn’t play after her retirement, I think she’ll meet the criteria.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1673979182411.png

Reaction Score
So, as a fan, I have to wonder what her career might have looked like had she not cut it short. Note that I’m not making a judgment call on that. Her efforts at criminal justice reform are noble self sacrifice. But, as a fan, I just can’t help but wonder what if.
I’ll bet she doesn’t see what she’s done as a “self sacrifice”. I think she just moved on to her next goal in life. Our world is a better place for her presence. And boy was it fun for us UConn fans to be able to watch her play!

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ll bet she doesn’t see what she’s done as a “self sacrifice”. I think she just moved on to her next goal in life. Our world is a better place for her presence. And boy was it fun for us UConn fans to be able to watch her play!
I completely agree, but remember, she left millions of dollars on the table doing it. The fact that that really didn’t matter to her is impressive.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Congrats to her on an all time great career. Class act on and off the court. She’s unparalleled as a winner and IMO is the best Huskie to ever play. I know basketball isn’t everything, but as a fan of the sport it stings a little watching someone still at their peak step away with half a career to go. Had she kept on the same trajectory I think she could’ve cemented her legacy as the clear cut best player of all time. That said, as a basketball player she had nothing left to prove and is probably the best winner across all levels the game has ever seen. I believe she won some state titles in HS, 150-4 record in college, 4 pro titles and 6 finals appearances in 8 years, not to mention tons of success overseas and winning 2 golds. She did it all by age 30 and even with missing half of a pro career, she’s firmly in the conversation for best ever. Incredible athlete and representative of the sport. I hope she stays a visible face in the women’s basketball community, but if she decides to live life out of the spotlight that’s her choice and I wish her nothing but happiness.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno talks about Maya’s ability to step away even when she was playing. My limited observation was that she knew how to take care of herself and her body. Her durability speaks for itself. Great basketball players play basketball.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
From today's morning headlines (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution):
Maya Moore, whose basketball career began at Collins Hill High School in Gwinnett County and included four WNBA championships, is retiring from the Minnesota Lynx. Moore, 33, was named an WNBA All-Star six times and won two Olympic gold medals for the United States. Sports Illustrated called Moore the greatest winner in women’s basketball history.

Maya Moore, basketball legend and Collins Hill product, announces retirement
By Gabriel Burns, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Updated Jan 16, 2023
Maya Moore, basketball legend and Collins Hill product, announces retirement

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She’s been dragged all over Twitter for this one.

Only this coach would recognize the retirement and accomplishments of one of the greatest players ever by saying “hey, remember your last game when my team beat you because my player (who has never won a championship) scored a lot of points too. Anywho, you were great and good luck.”

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Words can’t express my gratitude to those who felt it was important to turn a nice tribute thread into a snarky, political bitch-fest. You must be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom