May transfer thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

May transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UVA also got a bunch of IVY grad transfers - not sure how good they are, but that school and grad school are certainly draws if they can get the team playing better ball.

If they could get things right up in Charlottesville... its a top 5 job in the ACC....

Reaction Score
Actually I was thinking that they leveled up. Aside from getting the chance to get beat in the first round of the NCAA tournament.... 2 years at UVA > 2 years at Marquette in my opinion. UVA is a great school... Charlottesville is a great college town.... they get to play in a better basketball conference... and they get two chances next year to get revenge on VPI. :p

Winning team at Marquette to horrible program under Thompson is leveling up? Look at Virginia forum and the fans want her out already. Duffy has won and Thompson hasn't. I'd say playing for tournament teamis leveling up than playing for bottom feeder in ACC.

Reaction Score
If they could get things right up in Charlottesville... its a top 5 job in the ACC....
Hmm, which 2 of these teams are you not including?

ND, Lou, UNC, Duke, NCSt, FSU

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe this isn't quite the right thread for it, but Washington's leading scorer last season, Haley Van Dyke, has decided to return after initially putting her name in the portal. Good news for the Dawgs.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise but she has to sit out a year like Mikesell.

Why do you say that? Nancy Mulkey sat out a year when she went from Oklahoma to Rice. Mikesell didn't sit out a year when she went from Maryland to Oregon because she got a waiver. If you got a waiver like Mikesell you have to sit out pending ncaa appeal. Mulkey still gets one free transfer.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise but she has to sit out a year like Mikesell.

Why do you say that? Nancy Mulkey sat out a year when she went from Oklahoma to Rice. Mikesell didn't sit out a year when she went from Maryland to Oregon because she got a waiver. If you got a waiver like Mikesell you have to sit out pending ncaa appeal. Mulkey still gets one free transfer.

Mulkey is listed as a grad transfer per Raoul's website. I don't think the sit out rule applies in this case.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Just an outsider's opinion but I think ND screwed up by not going after Megan Duffy when McGraw bailed out.

Well, this isn't the thread to get into an offshoot, but let's just say quite a few ND fans agree with that sentiment.
My stance on this was (still is) that ND AD Jack Swarbrick should've had an interview process, in part, to check on the state of the program. He eliminated that by zeroing in on Niele Ivey, IMHO. I'll hope Niele learns from last year, avoids injuries/illnesses to her team and makes good strides in Year 2. If not, Swarbrick knows where Megan is and knows her boss (a former long-time ND associate and senior-ranking AD official) well.

I don't expect good things at UVA, even with Taylor there and I agree it should be a jewel of the ACC. My fear is someone like Duffy might end up there....

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well, this isn't the thread to get into an offshoot, but let's just say quite a few ND fans agree with that sentiment.
My stance on this was (still is) that ND AD Jack Swarbrick should've had an interview process, in part, to check on the state of the program. He eliminated that by zeroing in on Niele Ivey, IMHO. I'll hope Niele learns from last year, avoids injuries/illnesses to her team and makes good strides in Year 2. If not, Swarbrick knows where Megan is and knows her boss (a former long-time ND associate) well.

I don't expect good things at UVA, even with Taylor there and I agree it should be a jewel of the ACC. My fear is someone like Duffy might end up there....
I hope Niele does well. But maybe if the timing is right Duffy will end up at Ohio State. :) She is from Kettering.

But to stay on topic, the Mulkey transfer isn't a big surprise. I wonder if immediate eligibility or a year sitting out would be better for UW success. Mulkey could make an impact for the team, I'm sure but maybe a year of the team getting familiar with Langley's system might allow for a more successful season with Mulkey.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I hope Niele does well. But maybe if the timing is right Duffy will end up at Ohio State. :) She is from Kettering.

But to stay on topic, the Mulkey transfer isn't a big surprise. I wonder if immediate eligibility or a year sitting out would be better for UW success. Mulkey could make an impact for the team, I'm sure but maybe a year of the team getting familiar with Langley's system might allow for a more successful season with Mulkey.

Re: Mulkey. The year off could possibly benefit the team in the mid-term. However, Mulkey already sat out a year due to the transfer from Oklahoma to Rice and she was eligible for the draft this year. I've got to think that she wants to get on the floor for UW and then think about going pro. Tick, tick tick.

Off-topic for a bit: ND and Kettering have done well by each other: Megan Duffy and the Westbeld sisters: Kat (capt. of the 2018 nat'l, championship team) and Maddy, the co-MVP of the ACC rookie class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How would that work exactly if the nursing program is in New Orleans for LSU? Unless she goes to Tulane but I think she would prefer to play with Kim
Baton Rouge to New Orleans is less than an hours drive-I am sure Main campus provides transportation to and from

Reaction Score
Mulkey is listed as a grad transfer per Raoul's website. I don't think the sit out rule applies in this case.

I thought I read the rule is that if you have gotten a free transfer before, the grad transfer year is not free.

So if she sat out a year previously, she should be good to go.

Reaction Score
I thought I read the rule is that if you have gotten a free transfer before, the grad transfer year is not free.

I had forgot about that caveat. So she is good to go.

Reaction Score

Which makes Grad Transferring less relevant. Just graduate and move on with life lol versus sitting an extra year to play 2 years later ? Unless your like going after a masters or something .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I had forgot about that caveat. So she is good to go.
Where does that caveat appear? I can not find where the NCAA said there is a caveat for those who were not granted a waiver for a previous transfer, i.e., spent a year in residence before becoming eligible to play.

From the NCAA Q and A:

Prior Transfers Q3:

What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?

A3: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.

Reaction Score
Heartbreaker. Angela Dugalic , Oregon forward, enters transfer portal. After the three guards leaving this one cuts deep. Potential superstar. Still possible to return but I now think something may be going on in Eugene

Reaction Score
Heartbreaker. Angela Dugalic , Oregon forward, enters transfer portal. After the three guards leaving this one cuts deep. Potential superstar. Still possible to return but I now think something may be going on in Eugene
How many is that now for Oregon? Do they have players who can fill the guard position coming in for 2021? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Reaction Score
How many is that now for Oregon? Do they have players who can fill the guard position coming in for 2021? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
Three veteran guards gone but a good one coming in in Taylor Bigby. The problem with this news is that the 6’4”Dugalic has such a tremendous upside. Also reduces the squad to just nine and two of those are front line “projects”. Apparently losing Mark Campbell and the Lopez’s to SacState plus other closest friends graduating or transferring was factor. Angela is in Serbia working out with the Serbian national team for the next couple months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom