May and no commits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

May and no commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2014 recruiting has been dismal so far, if you can call nonexistent dismal.

Actual new "verbal commits" are dismal/non-existent...NOT recruiting. There are a lot of offers out there in a lot of fertile areas and there are kids (with multiple BCS offers) looking forward to campus visits/camps. We'll see how they close...which is the true indicator come February.

Reaction Score
So because there may only be 15-18-20 recruits in the 2014 class, this impacts not having any recruits how? If Pasqualoni got a 4* kid to sign tomorrow, would you be saying, "darn, he's oversigning?" There are ZERO recruits. None, zip, on par again with the dregs of BCS, slightly behind nonBCS teams. Would you like me to list the kids that UConn offered that decided to sign with another team?

AGAIN, many of those teams that have many recruits have large senior classes or are powerhouse teams that consistently send multiple kids to the NFL early. What do you want PP to do egregiously over recruit and then just start dismissing kids and sending them packing before they fulfill their 4 years. I understand that happens to a player here and there. But our schollys are extremely limited next year. Get used to the lack of commitments this year.

Reaction Score
Actual new "verbal commits" are dismal/non-existent...NOT recruiting. There are a lot of offers out there in a lot of fertile areas and there are kids (with multiple BCS offers) looking forward to campus visits/camps. We'll see how they close...which is the true indicator come February.

Recruiting has only begun, but it has begun. It would be nice to get a running start. A lot of the camp kids get their first look at the staff and the facilities, and that seems to sway things. However, some juice in recruiting would be nice.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn has never gotten 4* and 5* recruits, and those are the largest part of the kids who are committing early. It would be great if we were the first choice of highly-rated kids, but mostly we get 3* kids and under the radar kids who take their time to see where the higher-rated kids go and what offers develop for them after summer camp season.

Addazzio and some other coaches rely on salesmanship and push for early commitments. The downside of that is that the fit may not be perfect and you may fill spots too early. Pasqualoni has his style, of waiting until he's seen kids in camp, and it may help get the highest quality kids he can from among the pool of 3* and 2* players, and also to get kids who really want to be at UConn. I'm not saying that's the best style, but it's not inappropriate for UConn, and we should wait to judge the recruiting class until the time when P is seriously trying to get commitments.

Reaction Score
What exactly are you going to do with that juice? Drink it? No one has argued they are in favor of having no recruits in the spring. However, count me as one of many that are just plain tired of the bitching and moaning that has taken over on this board. I, for one, do not care how many commuits we have in May. I may be in the minority. I care who commits on signing day; not before.

Reaction Score
So because there may only be 15-18-20 recruits in the 2014 class, this impacts not having any recruits how? If Pasqualoni got a 4* kid to sign tomorrow, would you be saying, "darn, he's oversigning?" There are ZERO recruits. None, zip, on par again with the dregs of BCS, slightly behind nonBCS teams. Would you like me to list the kids that UConn offered that decided to sign with another team?

I have to agree with Gioff, all of this matters none because its MAY and its all about Feb 1st of next year. But to the history and your points. UCONN has rarely seen any recruits commit this early in the past to them. Maybe a few ever. The fact that we have few spots available means we aren't offering those reaches that typically are the earliest commits. And to your point of 15-18-20.........18 and 20 are almost assuredly not happening and even 15 is pushing it. And of those 15 we may already have anywhere from 4-6 already committed from JUCO and Prep......As well 2 will most likely be Special team kickers. So if you wanna keep bitching about not having a Punter wrapped up and committed by mid-may then so be it. Check out the numbers if you want I ran them all in the thread "Lots of smoke no fire"........I'm sure you won't be the only one but check into the reality of this year and stop comparing us to other teams or our other years recruiting classes cause they aren't comparable...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Does anything think that P has expectations of actually coaching these recruits in a game? It would mean at least 3 more years as HC. Sell the school, not the coach.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I am sure he is convinced he will, yes. But that's different than what a recruit should be thinking of - how many coaches across the country will be in their seats in 5-6 years, when these recruits/kids are seniors? Thery need to pick a place where they feel they will be comfortable and succesful - athletically and academically.

Reaction Score

As much as I would love P gone, this is just not a relevant criticism. Worrying about # of recruits now is like worrying about who is winning a football game five minutes in. It just doesn't tell you much yet.

If you need to worry and criticize for early, partial results, at least wait until late July when you know who committed after the camps.

Reaction Score
Recruiting has only begun, but it has begun. It would be nice to get a running start. A lot of the camp kids get their first look at the staff and the facilities, and that seems to sway things. However, some juice in recruiting would be nice.

It would be "nice" if Kerry Washington were paying you to satisfy her sexual needs. And yet, you are smart enough not to waste bandwidth bitching that she isn't.

Reaction Score
We've truly entered the bizarro world where recruiting is unimportant.

Of course, to keep me somewhat grounded, I'm reminded that for every UConn there is a Kentucky. Over there they seem to be awfully excited about a big turnaround in recruiting. Those Kentucky idiots think that excitement, energy, momentum, buzz, whatever you want to call it, matter. Instead, while kids get taken off the board day by day, the world is clueless to UConn's super secret plan, one which no top 50 football team employs. PP's approach is pure genius!

Reaction Score
We've truly entered the bizarro world where recruiting is unimportant.

Of course, to keep me somewhat grounded, I'm reminded that for every UConn there is a Kentucky. Over there they seem to be awfully excited about a big turnaround in recruiting. Those Kentucky idiots think that excitement, energy, momentum, buzz, whatever you want to call it, matter. Instead, while kids get taken off the board day by day, the world is clueless to UConn's super secret plan, one which no top 50 football team employs. PP's approach is pure genius!

Nobody is saying recruiting is unimportant (nice strawman), the point some are trying to make is that your criticism of the 2014 recruiting class in May of 2013 is asinine, stupid, and moronic. When you subtract the players already committed to 2014 (Fuch's, the DB from PA, and maybe the JUCO kids) we have about 12 - 15 scholarships (max) in 2014.

And lets not forget that all commitments are meaningless until signing day in Feb, at this time last year people were criticizing P for not landing Boyle.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs to step it up in football, having zero commits at this date may be ok, but it sure is not step it up "good".

Reaction Score
We have 11 spots next year including Hypolite's spot. We are in a rush to take on recruits why?

Sort by year.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/conn-m-footbl-mtt.html
Not claiming to be a recruiting guru, but the best regional players are getting wrapped up by other teams. That seems to be a pretty good why.

If your class is small, shouldn't you want it to be particularly impactful? To that end, identifying and working your top choices hard and getting them to commit early should be a priority. Hell, the sales pitch is probably easier with a small class. Tell them they need to commit or you will gave that precious spot to someone else that understands how important it is.

Reaction Score
Not claiming to be a recruiting guru, but the best regional players are getting wrapped up by other teams. That seems to be a pretty good why.

If your class is small, shouldn't you want it to be particularly impactful? To that end, identifying and working your top choices hard and getting them to commit early should be a priority. Hell, the sales pitch is probably easier with a small class. Tell them they need to commit or you will gave that precious spot to someone else that understands how important it is.

There are thousands of prospects......We need 11..........and 2 are Kick squad...........we will be fine if we pick up 9 guys in November............. enough years of keeping up with recruiting has taught me to take these early commits with cautious grain of salt anyways. Thought to ponder: what if we didn't have a scholarship open because we had accepted too many last year when Tim Boyle starting looking around? Everything will be plenty fine.

Small recruiting class usually don't help in recruiting as you can throw the early playing time card out the door seeing as you have a great amount of upperclassmen.

Reaction Score
I will wager any amount of money with any poster interested......we will have more than 11 kids sign in Feb 2014.

Reaction Score
I will wager any amount of money with any poster interested......we will have more than 11 kids sign in Feb 2014.

wow you got some big balls....congrats your pockets must be soooo deep......

there will be no more than 15 max.....big deal if there is more than 11....point is its a very small class...

Reaction Score
wow you got some big balls....congrats your pockets must be soooo deep......

there will be no more than 15 max.....big deal if there is more than 11....point is its a very small class...

Wanna bet it will be more than 15?

Reaction Score
As much as I would love to entertain that....And if you were standing right next to me I'd take your money in a heartbeat .......However, my mind tells me an idiot makes wagers on random blogs with random people that I will probably never see the money from.......(not that I think you're that type of person) But I see a no win situation in this bet.......

Reaction Score
Jason Sylva MLB now listed as a "soft verbal". By my count we now have three 2014 commits, Fuchs, Sylva and Jalan Branford and it's still only May. Not sure what Rennick Bryan's situation is at Dean but hopefully he is still on schedule to return to UCONN next year.

Reaction Score
At this time of year we usually have one, perhaps two, recruits. What until camp.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Camps are coming in a couple days. We have 15 slots to fill. We need a punter but we have BP and 2 w/o kickers so I think we can wait on a fg kicker now.

Sylvia, Bryan and Cunningham went Juno. Branford, Fuchs and possibly 3-5 more will be in prep school this fall instead of uconn or on campus buy gray shirts. We have to wait until we get a roster on the 24th I think it is. We could have as many as 8 commits in 2014 or as little as 2. We shall see in time.

My beef is we still need to fill 7+ slots so why not fill them!?!? The dazzler is running around New England doing circles on us. I get that we took our first 125 ships and handed them out to elite plYers but we haven't landed 1 of them. And of that I only feel in good shape with 2. Newsome is one. The other is a do from no who is at sj joes I think now. But I haven't seen news on him in a while.

There are other factors. Don brown went to bc and decided he was going to use our chart basically and plow roads. He didn't do that here because he knew he was never staying with p and gdl. He knew what was up before it was up and just used uconn to land on his feet quick when needed. Kids like yiadom and Cohen were our scoops for a couple years camp/recruiting wise and he cleaned house quick with them. P and gdl even worse just watched this past 6 months. What else at this point would you expect. That's why it's frustrating. I would have loved to land 5 New England kids already and then waited till the 24th and cap to see where we sit. But p and gdl didn't do that. They would rather play 90s recruiting games and kids and coaches see thru that.

Is there a ol in Florida that's better tan John baker? Sure. But who should u focus on? What dazzler has proved is that if you put a average to above average recruiter n New England you can get kids to bite and bite quick now take that and add a top practice facility and a fan base that gives a *. See where I'm going?

I feel good about dintino and a ct qb also fwiw. But who knows, dazzler could offer both 2moro and land them as far as what I have seen this past 6 months. If you think warde is going to make the right hire in December I have news for u. Just look at puck. He made a quality hire but not the splash. Same story continues. When your a big boy you can be quality. When your a rising star you need splash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom