May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 6 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Thanks. I was oversimplifying. Copper came over originally as part of the deal when EDD wanted out, right? Lots of player movement is probably fairly complicated, and the true ramifications aren't necessarily evident until years down the road.

Anyway, I was totally impressed with Copper the year the Sky won the Championship, and she's off to a great start with Phoenix.
Chicago actually got Copper AND Dolson in the EDD trade, plus that year's #2 pick (which they spent on Alaina Coates...while Allisha Gray went #4 and Brionna Jones went #8). But that was a trade that basically brought both teams championships.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Down to the wire finish, but bad execution by both teams. Just nothing doing on 3 straight inbound plays. Then Indiana got the tip on a jump ball but Seattle controlled it. Storm hang on 85-83.

Record crowd for the Storm. The Clark Effect.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Loyd found her shooting touch. Big game for Nneka too. Horston didn't score much but did a lot of other things. Whitcomb got hot for a while, then went cold.

Not great shooting but Clark had 21/7/7. Mitchell was hot and cold. Decent game for Smith. Boston got benched for most of the second half, she just isn't right so far this year. Fagbenle was better than Boston but fouled out.

Reaction Score
im new to this--what are the chances indiana gets the #1 pick again next year? or the mystics or just whoever

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
im new to this--what are the chances indiana gets the #1 pick again next year? or the mystics or just whoever
Number of ping pong balls a team gets in the hopper for the draft lottery is weighted based on record over a 2 year period. I think they draw 3 balls from the hopper, after that draft order is based on record. So Indiana could possibly get the #1 pick again, but other teams could as well.

Reaction Score
The Fever were so close, again on getting their first win of the season. Seattle is one of those teams where I thought Indiana might steal a win. Welp on to Los Angeles.

Reaction Score
The Fever were so close, again on getting their first win of the season. Seattle is one of those teams where I thought Indiana might steal a win. Welp on to Los Angeles.
I'm starting to get the impression that everyone is going to have their best offensive performance of the season against Indiana.

Three reasons:
1. Indiana is not a good defensive team
2. These sell-out crowds are probably a pump of adrenaline, so the Fever gets the "A" game of their opponent.
3. These superstars are trying to use the Caitlin Clark hype to boost their brand by out-performing her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Down to the wire finish, but bad execution by both teams. Just nothing doing on 3 straight inbound plays. Then Indiana got the tip on a jump ball but Seattle controlled it. Storm hang on 85-83.

Record crowd for the Storm. The Clark Effect.

Crowd of 18,343, largest ever for the Storm and largest in the W in 6 years. It's a great place to play.

Clark effect plus the Muhl effect.

Reaction Score
Toronto WNBA team now official for 2026. Owner says they may play games across the country. Engelbert reiterates that league will be at 16 teams by 2028.

WNBA Toronto team plans to play across Canada
Watching the press conference right now and loving the idea of having the team play in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Spreading the games throughout the country is an excellent strategy.

Having Stacey Dales and Tammy Sutton-Brown on hand as part of this press conference was a great decision. They don't get enough acknowledgement for what they contributed to Canadian basketball. Heck Sutton-Brown is a former WNBA champion and its rarely mentioned here. :oops:

Reaction Score
I'm starting to get the impression that everyone is going to have their best offensive performance of the season against Indiana.

Three reasons:
1. Indiana is not a good defensive team
2. These sell-out crowds are probably a pump of adrenaline, so the Fever gets the "A" game of their opponent.
3. These superstars are trying to use the Caitlin Clark hype to boost their brand by out-performing her.
Stated differently they are a very bad defensive team starting with Smith.

Reaction Score
Toronto WNBA team now official for 2026. Owner says they may play games across the country. Engelbert reiterates that league will be at 16 teams by 2028.

WNBA Toronto team plans to play across Canada
The ownership group paid $115 million to enter the league.

Progress ...but a long way to go as WNBA ranks above pickleball but below soccer.

"according to Forbes, the average team (in the NBA) value still went up by four percent this year, to $2.2 billion"

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stated differently they are a very bad defensive team starting with Smith.
Hey, I watched a lot of this game (actually, I double screened Minn-Dallas and this) and when I saw Ms. Smith, she was the epitome of "ole" defense. Perfect form...twice! But there was no Carrington to provide weak-side help or Kalani Brown or Laruen Cox to swat it away.
(Oh, that's right, Indiana cut her...).

Reaction Score
Perfect form...twice
Certainly is a start. Game-long consistency as epitomized by Connecticut is the standard on the defensive side of the ball.

If Thomas had perfect form twice in a game on the defensive end I suspect she would consider that a failure.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Since we're all going to be seeing Caitlin Clark and the Fever for the foreseeable future, a couple of things have struck/won't leave me:

1) Just what were Lin Dunn/Christie Sides thinking in regards to the wing/third guard position? Last year, Sides brought up Wallace and Wheeler from Atlanta to launch solidify the Sides approach. Lexie Hull was here, too, playing defense and not shooting all that well.
  • Dunn signs KLS to a guaranteed contract and then extends Hull. Yes, Wallace is still here. Last night was an example of how this is playing out: Wallace started and played 20+ while KLS and Hull went about 15 each (so two played a bit at the same time).
  • Yes, they scored 15 points on a cumulative basis, but did one or the other differentiate themselves or add anything different? All three are jump shooters - not shot creators -- and fair rebounders. Just seems like the position really just held steady, not better, while draining resources.
  • Wheeler has hops and speed and looks to be playing on a totally different team than virtually anyone else, save Mitchell.

2) Is Aaliyah Boston ill? Slightly injured? She seems off by a half-step and considering she's not a leaper, that means a bunch. Whlle Fagbenle is, in fact, playing above her pay grade, this isn't a good thing compared to Boston.
Clark is picking things up (she has to, but it's good to see), but Boston is starting to concern....

3) It takes awhile to mesh things, but if things don't get better with the current alignment, I'd consider playing Grace Berger, who has a firm sense of who she is and what she can do. Heck, if Celesete Taylor was drafted to play defense, given her a shot because no one else is at guard/wing.

4) Lastly, Smith had a double-double last night but she's another that feels like she's playing in her "own private Indiana" (to change a B-52 line). It's oddly entertaining, but I can see it being really distracting if you want a full-team approach.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Certainly is a start. Game-long consistency as epitomized by Connecticut is the standard on the defensive side of the ball.

If Thomas had perfect form twice in a game on the defensive end I suspect she would consider that a failure.
Not written well on my part. She offered no resistance...twice. Just let her offensive person blow right by and promptly ran down court (hence, the "ole!") You're right, though: Thomas, Carrington would've both been in the crouch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . .
  • Wheeler has hops and speed and looks to be playing on a totally different team than virtually anyone else, save Mitchell.

2) Is Aaliyah Boston ill? Slightly injured? She seems off by a half-step and considering she's not a leaper, that means a bunch. . .

A year-plus in, I still don't know what Dunn was thinking signing Wheeler to a big guaranteed contract. As you pointed out, she doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the "plan".

I agree Boston seems a half-step slow. I dunno what the problem is, and I hope she figures it out.

I'm one who thinks Berger can give them something, even if she did have a crappy game the other night.

Reaction Score
A year-plus in, I still don't know what Dunn was thinking signing Wheeler to a big guaranteed contract. As you pointed out, she doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the "plan".

I agree Boston seems a half-step slow. I dunno what the problem is, and I hope she figures it out.

I'm one who thinks Berger can give them something, even if she did have a crappy game the other night.

Indiana also paid Wheeler to not play overseas. Absolutely crazy!

I feel like Boston is out of basketball shape.

Reaction Score
Have any of the rookies from last year seem to have taken a leap this season? I haven’t been paying much attention and it’s still early but all the big name second years seem static or to have taken a step back. Curious if this tracks with previous year trends or if they are progressing as normal.

Reaction Score
Gotta respect the Knicks with the one dissenting vote. Gotta appreciate the pettiness while their lawsuit with the Raptors is ongoing. ;)

Reaction Score
Gotta respect the Knicks with the one dissenting vote. Gotta appreciate the pettiness while their lawsuit with the Raptors is ongoing. ;)

They also voted against expansion to the Bay Area. Think the law suit is a just a cop out.

Reaction Score
They also voted against expansion to the Bay Area. Think the law suit is a just a cop out.
Naw. We're talking about the Knicks here. There's some beef that hasn't made sense to those who have been following. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Have any of the rookies from last year seem to have taken a leap this season? I haven’t been paying much attention and it’s still early but all the big name second years seem static or to have taken a step back. Curious if this tracks with previous year trends or if they are progressing as normal.

I can't remember which analyst, but they were talking about the transition from year 1 to 2 as a starter. They were basically saying that everyone is familiar with your game and it makes it so much harder because teams are more comfortable with defending you. I wonder if that is what is happening to Boston. It sounds like she may need to spend some time coming up with some new counter moves.

As far as the conditioning comments I've seen, I don't believe they are true. She has been interviewed a couple of times about her workout routine in the off-season and she was talking about working out harder than she ever has so that she can be tougher in the post. She was also talking about finding a gym when she was out of town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom