May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 42 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray adds much more to the Aces than just her stat line. She is the brains of the team and keeps them playing right. Plumb, Young and Wilson often revert to one on one hero ball. It works when you are hot, but keeps you in the hole when you are not. Notice at the end of the game, after Chelsea was taken out seemingly for the remainder of the game, she was put right back in when the Aces began to commit one bad play after the other allowing the opposition to close the gap.

Another thing I noticed is that Young seems totally focused on creating shots for herself and has lost focus on her defense. Her defense was not very good. Its noticable because, unlike Plum it usually is. I could see where the players could feel they need to pick up some of the offensive void left by Chelseas absence. I could see times that even when Chelsea was in the game they froze her out and played like she wasn't.
Yes, let's give all the credit to the player averaging 4 pts/4 assists per game, shooting 30% from the floor and with 0 made 3's so far. I'm sure they are all glad to have her back, but let's not pretend she's playing at a high level yet. She isn't.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What's going on with the Sun? Have lost 3 of their last 4, and barely won that one game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yes, let's give all the credit to the player averaging 4 pts/4 assists per game, shooting 30% from the floor and with 0 made 3's so far. I'm sure they are all glad to have her back, but let's not pretend she's playing at a high level yet. She isn't.

20220722_121626.jpg

Reaction Score
Shortly after arrival, Odyssey Sims plays for last place Dallas and helps her team secure a win over the Commissioner's Cup winner, Minnesota. She had 18/2/4/3 on 8-12 shooting.
Minnesota forgot to play defense. Something they prided themselves on, after winning the Commissioner's Cup. Probably still vibing off that win against New York.

Reaction Score
Minnesota forgot to play defense. Something they prided themselves on, after winning the Commissioner's Cup. Probably still vibing off that win against New York.
Part of this and Sun loss may be due to travel and/or back to back. In the halftime interview last night the GOAT reiterated that in the w each team has world class elite athletes so sometimes it's the smallest of difference. Even with the rest and recovery employed by modern athletes this fatigue can be the smallest difference.

For example after the late mystics game in DC the sun evidently ran into massive DC traffic and were very late getting home. While it was a home game they had very little time before that next game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I noticed in the box score that Lexie was listed as “out with Crohn’s disease.”. I knew she’d been diagnosed six monthe or so ago, but my heart just sank when I saw this. I lost a friend to it 20 years ago; it’s an ugly, ugly affliction. The treatment has really advanced, especially with biologics. I hope they find a 100% effective treatment for Lexie.

Reaction Score
Part of this and Sun loss may be due to travel and/or back to back. In the halftime interview last night the GOAT reiterated that in the w each team has world class elite athletes so sometimes it's the smallest of difference. Even with the rest and recovery employed by modern athletes this fatigue can be the smallest difference.

For example after the late mystics game in DC the sun evidently ran into massive DC traffic and were very late getting home. While it was a home game they had very little time before that next game.
Playing overtime, getting back around 3 am to play at 7:30. I don't care who you are, that isn't easy. It was still a close game last night. A couple breaks in their favour, they may have been able to gut it out.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Playing overtime, getting back around 3 am to play at 7:30. I don't care who you are, that isn't easy. It was still a close game last night. A couple breaks in their favour, they may have been able to gut it out.
As for the Mystics, they had a two-pt. lead heading into the fourth against the Aces and get outscored 21-8 to lose by 11. They also ran out of gas in the OT in the prior game against the Sun. Hanging in well, but perhaps not enough of the top-line talent is available to push/pull them over the line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As for the Mystics, they had a two-pt. lead heading into the fourth and get outscored 21-8 to lose by 11. They ran out of gas in the OT game against the Sun, as well. Hanging in well, but perhaps not enough of the top-line talent to push/pull them over the line.
Clearly the short roster has a cumulative impact. Austin, Sykes, Samuelson sitting on the bench. The team also expends a great deal of energy defensively so I think it's unsurprising that it takes it's toll presenting major challenges late in the game. Even with Edwards back it was telling in today's fourth quarter.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
As for the Mystics, they had a two-pt. lead heading into the fourth against the Aces and get outscored 21-8 to lose by 11. They also ran out of gas in the OT in the prior game against the Sun. Hanging in well, but perhaps not enough of the top-line talent to push/pull them over the line.
They're doing exactly what they need to do--be competitive just enough and still lose at the end to get more ping pong balls for the lottery.

As for my girls from the desert, they won a game that they would've lost in 2022 and 2023. Tip Hayes makes a HUGE difference!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Storm are a fun team to watch right now. Horston is surpassing my expectations for her. I thought she underperformed at Tennessee and I figured it would be the same in the pros. I believe the announcer said that she trained with Jewell Loyd over the off-season, and it sure seems to be showing.
I believe Horston even spent time with Jewell in Chicago (Loyd's hometown) during the offseason and most certainly accompanied Jewell to South Bend for a visit to Notre Dame where they both worked out with the Irish and caught a game (Loyd brought people up to speed on these trips during a sideline interview).

Horston fit in with/helped facilitate the Storm's upbeat attack last night with 11 rebounds and Loyd's ability to get to -- and cash in -- at the free throw line was notable: 16-17 last night. Jacy Sheldon, a whirling dervish at Ohio State, was getting schooled and Odyssey Sims remembered getting those defensive steps back after a long layoff is essential, too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I believe Horston even spent time with Jewell in Chicago (Loyd's hometown) during the offseason and most certainly accompanied Jewell to South Bend for a visit to Notre Dame where they both worked out with the Irish and caught a game (Loyd brought people up to speed on these trips during a sideline interview).

Horston fit in with/helped facilitate the Storm's upbeat attack last night with 11 rebounds and Loyd's ability to get to -- and cash in -- at the free throw line was notable: 16-17 last night. Jacy Sheldon, a whirling dervish at Ohio State, was getting schooled and Odyssey Sims remembered getting those defensive steps back after a long layoff is essential, too.
Horston always had the tools to be a really good player but seems to be thriving in a high energy/defense oriented role. No surprise Seattle is among the best defensive teams in the league with a roster including Skylar Diggins-Smith, Ezi Magbegor, Jordan Horston and Nneka Ogwumike. All are top 12 in steals per game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
New York was awful most of the first half, but closed on a 9-0 run to close the gap. They controlled the 2nd half for the most part. Good games for Stewie and Laney. JJ seemed to be taking the day off, she did nothing. Miserable game for Ionescu. Sloot was playing fairly well, but was on the bench the entire 4th quarter I think. Fiebich was big off the bench, maybe her best game so far.

Reaction Score
New York was awful most of the first half, but closed on a 9-0 run to close the gap. They controlled the 2nd half for the most part. Good games for Stewie and Laney. JJ seemed to be taking the day off, she did nothing. Miserable game for Ionescu. Sloot was playing fairly well, but was on the bench the entire 4th quarter I think. Fiebich was big off the bench, maybe her best game so far.
Fiebich is starting to play fairly well. A nice addition off the bench. She is someone that they need to keep.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fiebich is starting to play fairly well. A nice addition off the bench. She is someone that they need to keep.
I was shocked the first time I heard an announcer say she was 6-4. She just doesn't seem that tall, but certainly having that kind of length on the perimeter can be a problem for an opponent. She was disruptive on D today, got several steals. I always liked Johannes, but she's very hot and cold (and not always here), so Fiebich as a replacement is pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom