Maui | The Boneyard

Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to Andy Katz, the bracket will be revealed next Tuesday (July 19). My guess is that they will keep UNC and Oregon on opposite sides of the bracket. I believe UConn will play either Chaminade, Oklahoma State or Tennessee in the first round.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I would hope the organizers would be looking for a UNC/UConn championship game so I would expect us to be on opposite side of the bracket. UNC will likely get Chaminade if they want them otherwise Chaminade will probably play Wisconsin in Round 1. I'd expect UNC/Oregon and Wisconsin/UConn 2nd round games. As a Wisconsin alum who despises Wisconsin basketball, I'm hoping UConn gets to beat them like in the 2008 Paradise Jam tourney...

Reaction Score
I would hope the organizers would be looking for a UNC/UConn championship game so I would expect us to be on opposite side of the bracket. UNC will likely get Chaminade if they want them otherwise Chaminade will probably play Wisconsin in Round 1. I'd expect UNC/Oregon and Wisconsin/UConn 2nd round games. As a Wisconsin alum who despises Wisconsin basketball, I'm hoping UConn gets to beat them like in the 2008 Paradise Jam tourney...

how do you think UW will be this year? Seems like a solid team returning with Koenig and Hayes. Always hard to lose a guy like Bo Ryan and not have a readjustment period.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
UNC will likely get Chaminade if they want them
Nobody wants Chaminade - Doesn't count as a D1 game and there's the potential for a devastating loss - even if it's unlikely.

I would imagine that UNC and UConn both have guarantees not to get them in round 1. If you get them in later rounds it's because you lost.

Reaction Score
Actually, in this tournament, where there are three really good teams (Wisconsin, Oregon, UNC), there are some benefits to playing Chaminade in the first round, because it nearly guarantees you playing two of the three (one in the semis and one in the third place game).

I would rather play Chaminade, Wisconsin, and Oregon than, say, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, and Tennessee.

C

Chief00

Actually, in this tournament, where there are three really good teams (Wisconsin, Oregon, UNC), there are some benefits to playing Chaminade in the first round, because it nearly guarantees you playing two of the three (one in the semis and one in the third place game).

I would rather play Chaminade, Wisconsin, and Oregon
than, say, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, and Tennessee.

Quite frankly, you nailed it. Good job.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I would be shocked if UNC wasn't on the other side of the bracket with Georgetown who will be on the opposite side due to our regular season matchup.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
how do you think UW will be this year? Seems like a solid team returning with Koenig and Hayes. Always hard to lose a guy like Bo Ryan and not have a readjustment period.

I don't follow UW too closely but they're projected as a preseason top 10 team. Hayes could contend for B1G POY if he gets his jump shot to be more consistent than last year. Frankly, he was pretty awful the second half of last year which is the reason he couldn't go pro like he wanted. Ethan Happ was one of the top freshmen in the conference last year too. The key will be the backcourt which is pretty unproven outside of Koenig. Getting that half season under Gard last year should make the transition a little easier, but there's also more pressure on Gard now that he's the man full time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What are the RPI ramifications of playing chaminade? It's just not included right? Champs is dead-on. Better off playing them than a potentially bad Ok St or Tenn team.

Reaction Score
Ok State was terrible last year and lost 2 of their good players. Should be led by sophomore PG Jawun Evans who is really good.

Reaction Score
Like I said elsewhere, the first game is an absolute must-win.

Lose to OSU and beat Chaminade in a meaningless scrimmage, even a win against Tennessee or Georgetown really limits the caliber of our resume right off the bat.

We need the OSU win to then get a chance at some big-name scalps or, at worst, a major boost to the strength of schedule.

KO better have these guys ready to play right away.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score

Lose to OSU and beat Chaminade in a meaningless scrimmage, even a win against Tennessee or Georgetown really limits the caliber of our resume right off the bat.

We need the OSU win to then get a chance at some big-name scalps or, at worst, a major boost to the strength of schedule.

I think we'll know how ready to play they are with the LMU road game on the way to the islands. I wouldn't mind a "closer than expected" game there to focus the guys in for Maui. Or Jalen could just go Kemba on this tournament and we'll be ok too :)

Reaction Score
They're going to have a lot to learn and a long way to go. If we throw a ton of expectations up early we may all be a bit less optimistic too early. No must wins while out west early, just let them grow together and see where it goes from there.

This was when they beat OSU and UNC you'll be ready to jack.......up 3's!;)

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Nailed it. Game 1 absolutely vital.

Reaction Score
Nailed it. Game 1 absolutely vital.

Is it Vital or vital?

Anyway vital maybe, must win no. If they didn;t recruit well and lost their top players then should we win? Yes but never must win that early. The 89-90 team went 1-2 in Maui (or Alaska?) and they turned out ok.

Reaction Score
Is it Vital or vital?

Anyway vital maybe, must win no. If they didn;t recruit well and lost their top players then should we win? Yes but never must win that early. The 89-90 team went 1-2 in Maui (or Alaska?) and they turned out ok.

That 89-90 team also got to slay goliaths Georgetown and Syracuse in their conference slate en route to a #1 seed.

If we go 1-2 in Maui (losing the first game), the only way we get a #1 seed is if we run the table the rest of the way. Even a #3-4 seed would permit at most 2-3 other losses.

Reaction Score

Reminds me of last trip to Maui where we got Wichita State round 1...led us to the MSU/UK games.

Reaction Score

Agree that a OKSt loss would be an awfully bad missed opportunity to build our resume. Jawun Evans is going to tear it up this year, but we have a much better team in terms of talent. UConn has to come prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom