Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator

Reaction Score
One thing that jumps out to me in a big way: this guy is not afraid of a challenge. Mississippi State, Washington State, and Texas Tech have a lot of unique difficulties despite being in P5 conferences during his tenures.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1. I still think we needed a new OC more than getting a DC (Just my feel)
2. Am curious to see if we get any portal transfers from Miss State after their spring ball is over
Sine the defense usually starts out good but tires in games from being on the field way too much I would agree OC may have been my choice. That said having sat through a lot of brutal seasons sans 2022 any change with quality individuals is good.

Reaction Score
Sine the defense usually starts out good but tires in games from being on the field way too much I would agree OC may have been my choice. That said having sat through a lot of brutal seasons sans 2022 any change with quality individuals is good.
I think this gives Mora a little more time to focus on both sides of the ball. Charlton had full control, but I think Mora has more input than the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1. I still think we needed a new OC more than getting a DC (Just my feel)
2. Am curious to see if we get any portal transfers from Miss State after their spring ball is over
You have to hope that having a DC allows Mora to put more of a stamp on the offense and focus on fixing problems there more quickly

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think Mora wants to get UConn back above .500 and bowling. This should help with letting him be the Head Coach and not wearing two hats.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Yep, nobody wants uncoordinated defense.
The opposing offense usually doesn't mind though. ^_^

Now if we can only work on having a coordinated and well-functioning offense...

Reaction Score
It’s not about being an offensive mind it’s about having some situationaly aware offense, like keeping Charlton in check from throwing a screen 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, while your team is having momentum on offense.
Just curious, anyone think that HCJM holds back the offense at times? Or is RE the only coach to do this? Or are they performing the best way to fit the personnel? Good OL, attempt ball control and limit turnovers? Hopefully next with year with roster turnover they’ll be more successful.

Reaction Score
Was reading that Miss State ran 3-3-5. I am not familiar with different schemes like some so if anyone has thoughts on:
1. The pros and cons
2. Whether Brock runs that at UConn
3. Whether that means staff changes

I would be interested to read it

Reaction Score
Just curious, anyone think that HCJM holds back the offense at times? Or is RE the only coach to do this? Or are they performing the best way to fit the personnel? Good OL, attempt ball control and limit turnovers? Hopefully next with year with roster turnover they’ll be more successful.
I think it was a “not trust the personnel” issue more than anything. Two years ago I think they wanted to keep it simpler for a freshman Zion. Last year I think it was a 1) ease TR in and 2) step back in performance from the WR room. Hopefully TR’s knee is even stronger this year and the WR room is better. TR being a more of a threat to take off and get a first down if necessary would be nice, and being more dangerous in the vertical passing game would open up everything more. We will see.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Was reading that Miss State ran 3-3-5. I am not familiar with different schemes like some so if anyone has thoughts on:
1. The pros and cons
2. Whether Brock runs that at UConn
3. Whether that means staff changes

I would be interested to read it
I dont think it matters what he ran at LSU. UConn’s defense will be Mora’s defense and thats what Brock will run,

While Mora hired a DC….it’s still his defense.

Reaction Score
Like his background with special team coaching as well.
Time to buy cowbells.
My sources tell me once we took him to the Dairy Bar he told JM I'm yours for the asking.............
His biggest challenge will be figuring out how to be successful without the big defensive linemen that make the SEC so formidable.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom