Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Every coach that has ever come to UConn, including the current OC, has said "first we have to establish the ground game". ;)
if they do…its not because of weather.

FIrst….there aren’t that many saturday home games that have bad enough weather that it matters. Second…many nothern teams have high powered passing offenses.

In today’s modern offense…where you are located doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
To me loading up on d-backs means you usually give up a lot of first downs and time of possession. And while you may not be giving up the "big play" as often, the benefits kick in as the field shrinks. Which means your guys are stuck on the field and maybe the offense gets the ball back deep in your side of the field. Now maybe this is nothing like Diaco's bend and eventually break lay off LOS 5-8 yards, but given some of our speed deficiencies in the back I'd prefer an aggressive approach that pressures the QB and the offense. Hope to be very wrong because I haven't seen his philosophy in action. Just not sure about the expectations placed on a position group like LB where we haven't been great and certainly not deep. But I like the Coach's straightforward responses, clarity, and approach which seems to be aggressive and physical. Question is whether we have the right guys to make that happen.

Is that second guessing? Maybe, but the new Coach has been here about 5 minutes and a lot of us have been following this team closely for over 20 years. The bottom line is we don't know what the level of success will be. But saying the Coach always knows best how to win means nothing until they start winning.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good overall read from Aman Kidwai @ Husky Football Forum:

-> Strategically, it’s a defense that makes sense for UConn in a few ways. The 3-3-5 has been known to be an answer to spread passing offenses, a concept that almost all teams use in some form.

From a recruiting standpoint, if traditional beefy tackles and taller edge rushers are being sought out by major (wealthier) programs, then some great DE/DT and DE/LB tweeners might be available for programs like UConn to recruit and offer a place to shine. A DB/LB tweener who’s either a step slow or not big enough to get a look from the top of the P4 could find a good-fit opportunity in this style of defense.

The defense has also been successful. Arnett, who brought the 3-3-5 to Mississippi State, has said that keeping offenses on their toes by mixing up the numbers on the line of scrimmage and unpredictable stunts and shifts contributed to his teams’ defensive success.

The Bulldogs’ “bend but don’t break” approach with six players in the box made them susceptible to the run but overall their defenses performed well.

Though the team finished 5-7 and 72nd in the country in overall efficiency last year, the Bulldogs were stronger defensively, ranked 49th in the country in FEI compared to an offense ranked 104th. The previous season, they finished 9-4 with the 14th-ranked defense and 14th overall ranking in FEI.<-
A defense that fits a recruiting paradigm is actually a really smart and interesting way to move forward as a program.

Yeah, we have a bad taste of Crocker in our mouths. But if I recall correctly, WVU used to use the 3-3-5 effectively for years. No reason it can't be effective here. In Mora we trust...

Reaction Score
I’m encouraged that Miss State D improved. I remember Leach’s teams giving up a lot of points.

Reaction Score
A defense that fits a recruiting paradigm is actually a really smart and interesting way to move forward as a program.

Yeah, we have a bad taste of Crocker in our mouths. But if I recall correctly, WVU used to use the 3-3-5 effectively for years. No reason it can't be effective here. In Mora we trust...
I seem to remember that Crocker’s 3-3-5 was totally fixed. I think a 3-3-5 that sends 4 in, and that 4th could be any of 8, could work.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The defensive philosophy of a 3-3-5 wasn't necessarily the issue when Crocker was here. I'll go so far as to say that it a) wasn't that far removed from what RE (and Orlando) ran the last few years of RE 1.0 and b) with the personnel that we had those years, it would have worked well.

The biggest problem was the large players Diaco preferred recruiting who for the most part were deficient in speed and quickness were the worst possible fit for that defense

Reaction Score
Not only that, but almost every nickel package is some variant of the 3-3-5. Just that when you run it as your base, you run many more blitzes. And you need some speed at the linebacker position.

Reaction Score
The defensive philosophy of a 3-3-5 wasn't necessarily the issue when Crocker was here. I'll go so far as to say that it a) wasn't that far removed from what RE (and Orlando) ran the last few years of RE 1.0 and b) with the personnel that we had those years, it would have worked well.

The biggest problem was the large players Diaco preferred recruiting who for the most part were deficient in speed and quickness were the worst possible fit for that defense
It is probably true that the players weren’t proficient at running the new defense but they were okay in Diaco’s defense. Just feel it is not fair to blame the players as RE used it as an excuse for mismanagement.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It is probably true that the players weren’t proficient at running the new defense but they were okay in Diaco’s defense. Just feel it is not fair to blame the players as RE used it as an excuse for mismanagement.
The players were recruited for a different system. Diaco' s recruiting was not good and as PP's guys left, they were replaced by bigger slower players. Crocker told me that none of the 3 levels had the required speed for that D and they tried to move guys a level closer to the LOS to get more speed in. It obviously did not work.

Reaction Score
The players were recruited for a different system. Diaco' s recruiting was not good and as PP's guys left, they were replaced by bigger slower players. Crocker told me that none of the 3 levels had the required speed for that D and they tried to move guys a level closer to the LOS to get more speed in. It obviously did not work.
That lack of speed was probably why they looked fixed to me. /s

Reaction Score
To be fair what we saw from Charlton after one half is what we've seen after 25 games....
Stay on topic. It’s the DC here. There are dozens of other topics u can share your OC brilliance in.

Reaction Score
I’m encouraged that Miss State D improved. I remember Leach’s teams giving up a lot of points.
Air Raid is designed to get in a shootout and puts a lot of pressure on a D. Watch a B12 game - first one to 50 wins.

Reaction Score
That makes sense to me. Those guys were recruited for a different system. Maybe a move to the 3-3-5

Reaction Score
I don’t believe that guys are recruited to fit a certain system. I think it’s more likely that you cast a wide net and see what you have. Especially given our difficulties. I thought in AAC it made sense to run a lot of 3-3-5 because there were a lot of gunslingers. But ultimately you should do what your players are best at. That’s what coaching should be about. No matter what the system is you need d-back guys, linebacker guys and big old lineman guys. Just optimize how they’re used. I

Reaction Score
Tackling. Teach tackling. We came out of the gate against NC State and missed 27 (or some such number) of tackles. Time after time we would have a guy behind the line of scrimmage on third down and he would break the tackle and make the first down. It was awful.

Your scheme doesn't matter. Your history doesn't matter. IF YOU CAN'T TEACH YOUR PLAYERS TO TACKLE --YOU CAN NOT WIN!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tackling. Teach tackling. We came out of the gate against NC State and missed 27 (or some such number) of tackles. Time after time we would have a guy behind the line of scrimmage on third down and he would break the tackle and make the first down. It was awful.

Your scheme doesn't matter. Your history doesn't matter. IF YOU CAN'T TEACH YOUR PLAYERS TO TACKLE --YOU CAN NOT WIN!

I will say part of UConn's problem tacking is lack of speed. When you don't have the speed to square up in front of the player, you end up trying arm tackles or you are leaning and don't have a solid base. Either way results in broken or missed tackles.

When you have the speed to get in front of the offensive player, your chances for success with tackling increase dramtically.

Reaction Score
Certainly excited to see what kind of teacher and motivator new DC is, also want to see what kind of grabs Brock makes from the Portal as we come out of Soring Ball

Reaction Score
I don’t believe that guys are recruited to fit a certain system. I think it’s more likely that you cast a wide net and see what you have. Especially given our difficulties. I thought in AAC it made sense to run a lot of 3-3-5 because there were a lot of gunslingers. But ultimately you should do what your players are best at. That’s what coaching should be about. No matter what the system is you need d-back guys, linebacker guys and big old lineman guys. Just optimize how they’re used. I
That is true but it matters where the emphasis is in recruiting. If you play 5 dbacks you probably want to recruit more dbacks than down linemen. And the type of back matters too. I suspect you need some size for example.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Final thing I'll say on tackling is you really need to recruit players who want to hit, who embrace the violence and physicality.
Totally agree. Barring going for a tackle, at just try to strip the blasted ball away.

Reaction Score
I will say part of UConn's problem tacking is lack of speed. When you don't have the speed to square up in front of the player, you end up trying arm tackles or you are leaning and don't have a solid base. Either way results in broken or missed tackles.

When you have the speed to get in front of the offensive player, your chances for success with tackling increase dramtically.
While I agree speed is important for every [position on the field. The problem against NC State wasn't speed. It was offensive players breaking tackles, UConn players not wrapping up, just throwing shoulders and hoping it would bring guys down. And yes, they wanted it more.

Reaction Score

-> Thoren joins the Huskies after spending the 2023 season as a defensive senior analyst at Mississippi State. His focus was as an assistant linebacker coach, working with the top two tacklers in the SEC in Nathanial Watson (137 tkls) and Jett Johnson (130 tkls).<-

Reaction Score

-> Thoren joins the Huskies after spending the 2023 season as a defensive senior analyst at Mississippi State. His focus was as an assistant linebacker coach, working with the top two tacklers in the SEC in Nathanial Watson (137 tkls) and Jett Johnson (130 tkls).<-

Very important position group for us as mentioned earlier.
We were at our best when we were "Linebacker U".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom