Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator

Reaction Score
Just curious, anyone think that HCJM holds back the offense at times? Or is RE the only coach to do this? Or are they performing the best way to fit the personnel? Good OL, attempt ball control and limit turnovers? Hopefully next with year with roster turnover they’ll be more successful.
Don’t leave out Bobby. They said he held back the offense as well.

Reaction Score
Don’t leave out Bobby. They said he held back the offense as well.
Maybe it was the Iowa way? Would make sense because he was so focused on defense which wasn’t bad. Lot of low scoring games if I remember and not great or experienced OCs

Reaction Score
My sources tell me once we took him to the Dairy Bar he told JM I'm yours for the asking.............
His biggest challenge will be figuring out how to be successful without the big defensive linemen that make the SEC so formidable.
We have some decent DL. We lacked enough good LBs last year.

Reaction Score
What happened last year for an SEC school to give up 41, 37, 40, 51 points? I get some of those schools are top tier but those scores are similar to when SEC plays no names... not SEC talent? Does anyone know if there were injuries? They only held opponents to under 24 points 3 games on the year...

Reaction Score
Put up or shut up time for Jim and the boys. Having said that, confident we'll see a version closer to the 2022 team than the 2023 team

Reaction Score
What happened last year for an SEC school to give up 41, 37, 40, 51 points? I get some of those schools are top tier but those scores are similar to when SEC plays no names... not SEC talent? Does anyone know if there were injuries? They only held opponents to under 24 points 3 games on the year...
Their DC was promoted to replace Mike Leach as head coach and he came and changed the entire offense in year one. They couldn't score to save their lives or stay on the field.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
My eye is twitching again
Flashbacks, lol.

But forget about Crocker, last season's secondary got torched. I hope the incoming portal kids (K State, NMSU x2, CMU) can give us the quality and depth we need to run what Brock wants to run.

I do like the idea of playing with a chip on our shoulder - this football program needs some Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I am a bit surprised…we go from Mora completely controlling the defense to a new DC with a new scheme.

I trust Mora’s judgement on defense….so we will see is this makes sense.
Yea - either way I can’t see the downside. If Mora’s looked in the mirror and was not happy w/ the defense and ultimately thought it needs “something” - that’s a good thing I guess. He can spend more time “somewhere” else. Alternately, he went and found someone available (that we could afford) that fits his defensive mindset and has the ability to work alongside current staff and Brock was confident enough to convince Mora to make a change to something we can teach/run/recruit to? All upside.

The chip on the shoulder/prove people wrong stuff is just a bonus.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <

-> "I'm excited to work with Coach Mora and the staff," Brock said. "Coach Mora is experienced at all levels of football and the success he's had building programs and organizations was exciting for me. The fact that I get to come in here and he was onboard with allowing me to take control of the defense and defensive staff was intriguing.

"And a place like UConn fits into the kind of places I've already been. You have to do a good job of trying to evaluate and develop and create a unit that thrives on doing the things you can control well. You may not be the most talented, but you better be the hardest-playing, toughest, most physical defensive unit you can create. I'm looking forward to working through this process." <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom