Matrim55 calls it: Final assistant Kenya Hunter to UConn!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Matrim55 calls it: Final assistant Kenya Hunter to UConn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is the process. Let it play out. I've taken off my cup. I hope it's not a mistake.

We have an exciting group of coaches. Let's see if they live up to the hype.

I'm impatient. I know it's a process, but with all the good news on the coaching side, I'd breathe easier with even a single confirmed piece of good player news.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm impatient. I know it's a process, but with all the good news on the coaching side, I'd breathe easier with even a single confirmed piece of good player news.

So far, nobody's leaving. That's good news, as filling a bunch of roster holes is tough with the limited time and pickings left.

Reaction Score
So far, nobody's leaving. That's good news, as filling a bunch of roster holes is tough with the limited time and pickings left.
Yup. Hurley said his No. 1 priority was to re-recruit the guys who were already here, and it seems like he's done that while putting together what should be a killer staff.

Now it's all about filling those last 3 scholarships. I'm confident we'll all be happy when we cross that particular bridge.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's official. Should we change the thread title?

It's a pretty sweet staff. The resumes of these guys are really strong.

The emphasis on strong recruiting AND player development (actual coaching) is in stark contrast to the previous staff. And I liked those guys.

So far, everything Hurley mentioned as a priority, things he said he would do, he's done.

Heck, we even got 'continuity' with Tom Moore, for the guys who are into that. I do think it's a nice bridge to the past, and helps Hurley navigate the transition.

Reaction Score
We pay pretty well but there are other factors. We have a great location for recruiting, a huge brand name and a hot new coach. As an assistant you have to be careful who you hitch your wagon to. Most people expect Hurley to succeed. That makes a move to UConn a good move right now.

The assistants can reasonably expect:
1. A job for the next 4-5 years minimum.
2. Reasonable travel with short flights and or drives to see the majority of prospects.
3. Resources and facilities
4. Prestige
5. Future demand after working for a winning coach at a big name program.

6. Hang with Chief

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're brave.
When did he change his game from throat punches to strangling? Maybe with the new regime he'll go back to throat punches. I believe it will help the mojo.

C

Chief00

Yup. Hurley said his No. 1 priority was to re-recruit the guys who were already here, and it seems like he's done that while putting together what should be a killer staff.

Now it's all about filling those last 3 scholarships. I'm confident we'll all be happy when we cross that particular bridge.

Matrim55 - Great job on all the assistant coach calls!

#ChiefConfirmed

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So is Striper, this has to put us back in the mix for Dave Wingett right?

When Dave Wingett Google’s himself, he must wonder why the hell th estate of Connecticut has take such an interest in him.

Btw, I heard he’s probably headed to Iona.

C

Chief00

We pay pretty well but there are other factors. We have a great location for recruiting, a huge brand name and a hot new coach. As an assistant you have to be careful who you hitch your wagon to. Most people expect Hurley to succeed. That makes a move to UConn a good move right now.

The assistants can reasonably expect:
1. A job for the next 4-5 years minimum.
2. Reasonable travel with short flights and or drives to see the majority of prospects.
3. Resources and facilities
4. Prestige
5. Future demand after working for a winning coach at a big name program.
That’s a really good point about how the head coaches contract can make a job more secure for an assistant. So much is tied to the fate of the head coach.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When did he change his game from throat punches to strangling? Maybe with the new regime he'll go back to throat punches. I believe it will help the mojo.

Yes. You need to take a throat punch to help our Mojo! What a guy!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So I am an equally big Nebrasketball fan as I am a UConn fan-

this is an absolute home run hire for UConn. Kenya Hunter is the only reason Nebraska basketball has landed some of the kids we landed the past few years. He's the ace recruiter on staff. Responsible for getting both Isaac Copeland and James Palmer Jr two years ago among many other high school kids like Xavier Johnson (PG from VA that has blown up- keep an eye on this if Hunter leaves since UConn still needs a PG) and grad transfers to UNL.

This would be an absolute killer for Tim Miles at Nebraska. But let it be.

Phenomenal hire from Hurley and I can't wait to see the ridiculous amount of talent this group lands here. If Kenya can get top 100 kids and 5* transfers to Nebraska then he will easily get them to UConn.

didn't know where else to toss this information but Xavier has taken down all references to Nebraska and Nebraska basketball from his social media since the Kenya news came out. Husker fans are starting to worry he's going to ask out of his LOI. Nebraska's Rivals Basketball Recruiting point guy Robin Washut reached out to him and Xavier never responded. Coach Miles is apparently set to fly to VA to try to convince him to stay. Johnson also "liked" the Kenya official announcement from the UConnMBB twitter page fwiw.

More background on him here: 2018 G Xavier Johnson [Signed LOI- Nebraska]

Reaction Score
didn't know where else to toss this information but Xavier has taken down all references to Nebraska and Nebraska basketball from his social media since the Kenya news came out. Husker fans are starting to worry he's going to ask out of his LOI. Nebraska's Rivals Basketball Recruiting point guy Robin Washut reached out to him and Xavier never responded. Coach Miles is apparently set to fly to VA to try to convince him to stay. Johnson also "liked" the Kenya official announcement from the UConnMBB twitter page fwiw.

More background on him here: 2018 G Xavier Johnson [Signed LOI- Nebraska]

I'm seeing a National Rank of 235 unless I have the wrong guy. Is he way under-ranked or something?

Reaction Score
When Dave Wingett Google’s himself, he must wonder why the hell th estate of Connecticut has take such an interest in him.

Btw, I heard he’s probably headed to Iona.

Cluess is a good coach, same with Coach Otz. Wingett is the sleeping giant we knew he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom