Materials submitted to Big12 released by Uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Materials submitted to Big12 released by Uconn

Reaction Score
It's just another bubble. I'm praying for the day that we go back to 10-12 team regional conferences.
That's one of the results of the reset that comes eventually when the top 20-30 money schools break away to keep 100% of the pie to themselves. The arms race will effectively be over for everyone else regardless of conference affiliation, and the most corrupt faction of college athletics will finally go off and do their own thing as a legit minor league.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I imagine it looks like the kind of deal the ABA teams got from the NBA.

Some sort of long term rights indexed to what the league's media revenues are.

Now the Spirits of St Louis will be in the back of the minds of everyone in this situation, but if they have to
go OTT when the cable money dries up and Clemson can bring 200k subs and Wake can bring 10k - so is it sustainable?
I think there's only one group of schools that walked away from the revenue of high level college athletics willingly. That was the Ivy League, whose graduates run the Supreme Court, the Federal Reserve, the White House, and can raise more alumni donations in a lazy afternoon than most schools can raise in a year.

Reaction Score
Seriously, how much longer can ESPN throw billions at the NFL and NBA? Throw in college sports, MLB and whatever other live TV they have. The declining NFL ratings has been well documented and maybe its just a blip but obviously cord cutting is very real.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think there's only one group of schools that walked away from the revenue of high level college athletics willingly. That was the Ivy League, whose graduates run the Supreme Court, the Federal Reserve, the White House, and can raise more alumni donations in a lazy afternoon than most schools can raise in a year.

Totally understood.

I think that a Wake Forest or Boston College as examples might be looking at a situation where they can either litigate to stay or take money to join a league where they can compete. Not like the Ivies but at like an AAC/MWC level.

I'm not saying it will happen, but when the cable boat is taking on water - it's hard to see Florida State being benevolent and subsidizing others when they generate 20x+ more revenue in a more direct model.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seriously, how much longer can ESPN throw billions at the NFL and NBA? Throw in college sports, MLB and whatever other live TV they have. The declining NFL ratings has been well documented and maybe its just a blip but obviously cord cutting is very real.

The NFL ratings are puzzling. It's not like cord cutting can explain Sunday night ratings. If anything it should improve them relative to baseball games on FS1.

One of the crazier stats I've seen lately is the decline at fanduel and draftkings. Their daily unique users are down like 80% y/y.

The NFL, NBA and MLB are going
to realize how hard they need to push for legalized gambling. If states put in an Ontario like system where you could bet single games the ratings would cease being an issue.

If states realized they could set up betting exchanges where they have no risk they would raise tens of millions in revenue a year.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The NFL ratings are puzzling. It's not like cord cutting can explain Sunday night ratings. If anything it should improve them relative to baseball games on FS1.

One of the crazier stats I've seen lately is the decline at fanduel and draftkings. Their daily unique users are down like 80% y/y.

The NFL, NBA and MLB are going
to realize how hard they need to push for legalized gambling. If states put in an Ontario like system where you could bet single games the ratings would cease being an issue.

If states realized they could set up betting exchanges where they have no risk they would raise tens of millions in revenue a year.
NFL is directly related to Kaepernick thing. Ages 15-24 the viewership is down, but that doesn't correlate to a 14% decrease; that would belong to Kaepernick for the most part.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NFL is directly related to Kaepernick thing. Ages 15-24 the viewership is down, but that doesn't correlate to a 14% decrease; that would belong to Kaepernick for the most part.

Phew we were almost having a good discussion. Thank God for this post.

Kapernick probably explains why esports outrated the NHL the other night too.

Reaction Score
Hasn't sports in general seen a decline over say the past decade or so? Everything from attendance to viewership? Anecdotally it feels more like a changing of the guard in terms of demographics. People that have spent their whole lives watching sports and parking themselves in front of the TV for hours and hours are being replaced by a generation that spends little time watching TV.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Phew we were almost having a good discussion. Thank God for this post.

Kapernick probably explains why esports outrated the NHL the other night too.
Actually 15-24 year olds would as many more are nerds than ever before, and no one cares about hockey.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually 15-24 year olds would as many more are nerds than ever before, and no one cares about hockey.

The NHL had revenues of 2.9 BILLION dollars last year.

Not bad if no one cares.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Posted this in key tweets put should put it here too. This was in one of the PDFs posted. Food for thought.

fbrgp49.png

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The NHL had revenues of 2.9 BILLION dollars last year.

Not bad if no one cares.
Scarcasm, but the truth of the matter is, hockey is beginning to die.

Reaction Score
I am convinced that if we were located in the Midwest we'd be in. Location was the reason we could not get 8 votes in the end. Others could not get 8 votes for other reasons.

If UConn was located in Fairfield County, UConn would be in the ACC or B1G now. All well, can't change the past.

Reaction Score
Right there in black and white on Page 19...

iii. Willingness to consider a football-only membership and competitive plans for other sports programs in that scenario.

UConn would accept football-only membership, and subsequently would pursue membership in the Big East Conference for other sponsored sports currently competing in the American Athletic Conference (AAC).
They wouldn't have made this statement unless the Big East actually agreed to us returning in all sports but football. That statement surprised me .
I figured men's soccer was a given but BB ,wow!
This and the increases in subsidy budgeted were the most astounding revelation.
Great presentation

Reaction Score
An impressive package no doubt and we had basketball accomplishments that the others couldn't show. With all of this the rumor I read was we were middle of the pack among the teams considered. First is that likely true and second if so is the reason strictly football?
From my conversation with Benedict it became clear it was location that really hurt us. But read between the lines here. They chose NO ONE. They were enticed to do so by ESPN. If they had decided to expand, no one can say who they would have taken.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
An impressive package no doubt and we had basketball accomplishments that the others couldn't show. With all of this the rumor I read was we were middle of the pack among the teams considered. First is that likely true and second if so is the reason strictly football?

There was no pack.

UConn's issue with the Big 12 would have been geography (culture).

There are places less similar to Connecticut than Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas but not many.

Reaction Score
With all of this the rumor I read was we were middle of the pack among the teams considered.

Link?

I do a bunch of reading and didn't see any legitimate source w/ rankings post announcement. Curious now because all the noise/general consensus ahead of today was top 3-4.

The Company line was there was no discussion of candidates or voting on candidates.

Reaction Score

This is literally the dumbest take I've ever read.

Do you have like a dart board with bad takes where you create terrible takes by throwing darts and combining the takes where they land.

Throw one: NFL Ratings Decline

Throw two: Millenials

Throw three: Kaepernick.

Ohhhh this is gonna be a good one!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member