Maryland vs UConn | The Boneyard

Maryland vs UConn

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Maryland game is close to a sell out which is good (and it is a Gampel which hold 10,167) but in looking at the other games coming up, I am saddened by the large amount of available tickets. Heck, on Wednesday, XL only had 8,000+ fans there. I know it was "Dayton" but this team is loaded and with Paige coming back, I thought for sure the place would have had significantly more. The glaring shock to me is the Dec 10 HOF Triple header at Mohegan Sun and the amount of tickets available which has 3 great games on tap- Florida State (who beat Tennessee last night) vs. UCLA, South Carolina vs. Utah and UConn vs. North Carolina. It's rare we get to see quality West Coast teams on tv let alone in our backyard and with both UCLA and Utah being Pac-12 favorites, I hope Mohegan sells out.

JBK

Reaction Score
The Maryland game is close to a sell out which is good (and it is a Gampel which hold 10,167) but in looking at the other games coming up, I am saddened by the large amount of available tickets. Heck, on Wednesday, XL only had 8,000+ fans there. I know it was "Dayton" but this team is loaded and with Paige coming back, I thought for sure the place would have had significantly more. The glaring shock to me is the Dec 10 HOF Triple header at Mohegan Sun and the amount of tickets available which has 3 great games on tap- Florida State (who beat Tennessee last night) vs. UCLA, South Carolina vs. Utah and UConn vs. North Carolina. It's rare we get to see quality West Coast teams on tv let alone in our backyard and with both UCLA and Utah being Pac-12 favorites, I hope Mohegan sells out.
Agree. Iowa is drawing 57 000 for an exhibition game to see Caitlin Clark.

Well we have Paige Bueckers and I still believe she is the best point guard on the planet when healthy. If we are truly the basketball capital of the world the fans need to come out like Iowa !!!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Well we have Paige Bueckers and I still believe she is the best point guard on the planet when healthy. If we are truly the basketball capital of the world the fans need to come out like Iowa !!!
57,000? Where is it being played?

Reaction Score
For many years, I have questioned what objectives UConn is trying to reach by having games at the XL Center versus Gampel and what the results have been. Not sure what the financial trade offs are, but you would think if you could sell out the on campus games that it must be close, if not positive, due to no arena rental, travel and related costs. Curious if this has ever been studied by one of our Boneyard sleuths.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
For many years, I have questioned what objectives UConn is trying to reach by having games at the XL Center versus Gampel and what the results have been. Not sure what the financial trade offs are, but you would think if you could sell out the on campus games that it must be close, if not positive, due to no arena rental, travel and related costs. Curious if this has ever been studied by one of our Boneyard sleuths.
A friend of mine, who was a fairly large donor to the University and a long time season ticket holder told me that it was actually worth more to play at Gampel for the year, although not necessarily on an individual game basis. He made this statement when it first opened so I don’t necessarily know if his argument is still valid. His rationale was that donations increased greatly, because due to the size of the arena, in order to get equivalent seats in Gampel than at the Hartford Civic Center that you had to increase your donations considerably, therefore moving to the smaller arena actually brought in more funds.

I have always been a proponent of playing all games in the on-campus site. Duke University clearly can play at the Greensboro Coliseum if they chose to, but they keep the on-campus atmosphere. You never know the unintended consequences of playing at the XL Center. It’s possible you could lose a close ballgame that you might have pulled out on the more familiar court or even possibly lose a highly ranked recruit who likes the atmosphere at one school over another.

sun

Reaction Score
It was a decision made by the CT State Legislature to justify building the XL Center, to help Hartford economic development, to provide better access to games for all CT residents & students at the UConn branches & satellite campuses.
It promotes parity between the men's & women's teams.
Many D1 university men's teams play their games at large city arenas which allows for accommodating more fans.
It's also part of a partnership to which UConn belongs to serve the greater CT community which includes Hartford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Caitlin Clark is a great basketball player (maybe the best ever to play) and a great entertainer. She does a masterful job of getting the crowd into the game and always puts on a great show for them. If Taurasi was the Jordan of the women's game then Caitlin is the Lebron. I don't say this to minimize Paige because she is a great player too but if I stick with the NBA comparisons I would liken her to Larry Bird.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless it's a sellout, we lose money when we play in the XL Center. We pay 45,000 to rent the XL Center plus a three dollar per ticket surcharge. In addition we do not get any concessions or parking revenue.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is a great basketball player (maybe the best ever to play) and a great entertainer. She does a masterful job of getting the crowd into the game and always puts on a great show for them. If Taurasi was the Jordan of the women's game then Caitlin is the Lebron. I don't say this to minimize Paige because she is a great player too but if I stick with the NBA comparisons I would liken her to Larry Bird.
You got it, Clark is an entertainer. She is a show woman, putting on a show. I don’t think she’s the best ever to play. That’s debatable. Taurasi is the Taurasi of the game. the women’s game continues to evolve and finally get the recognition it has always deserved. Perhaps Clark will become the ‘next Taurasi’. She needs to win a few championships before she can be compared. Why not say she is the Pistol Pete of the women’s game?

Reaction Score
Lebron plays defense

Reaction Score
When we moved here over 30 years ago it was imposssible to get men’s or women’s tickets at XL. I think 2 or 3 things have happened.
1. TV. Almost every game is on tvmm
2. The fans are aging. Frankly the steep XL steps and the randomness of assigning season tickets are a turnoff to some of us. Downtown Hartford is not a turnoff for me, having worked down there for 10 years, but it is a turnoff for many.
3.Hate to say it but complacency brought on by success. The fans take UCONN BB for granted.

Reaction Score
Brenda probably feels much better about receiving her usual thrashing from UConn after finally winning a game in this one sided series. Some will point out that we were a mere shell of our usual selves when we lost that game but I don’t begrudge her. In fact, I’m kind of happy for her. It must be a real grind to feel like you don’t really have a chance to win every time you play a particular team. So, I hope Brenda enjoys coming in on a winning streak:rolleyes: against us. Unfortunately (for her) though, it’s a one time deal;) that’s not likely to be repeated!
Still, I wish her well this season. There was a time when I didn’t much care for her, but that feeling has mellowed and I now believe she is quite a good coach and actually likable as well. I still have some cringe over her locker room speeches but…to each his/her own. Personal style does not determine one’s inner worth! I shudder to think how I would come across in a locker room speech!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Enjoying watching the SC/Maryland game. Two physical teams that both like to drive to basket. Maryland needs some ball handlers and doesn't match up well with SC. SC much better than I expected - could be better balanced team than last year's. Appears that everyone can handle the ball and offense could be even better without the need for Boston to touch ball every time down. SC a BIG team with several very physical players who move bodies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom