Maryland v. Delaware | The Boneyard

Maryland v. Delaware

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cost $10 for reserved seats. Wishing my doc did not reschedule my eye surgery. :(

Band is very loud!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Who are we cheering for in this game?? Im so confused!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm cheering for Elena and Delaware.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
EDD with a sextupal double....points, boards, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers. Hens lose by 20

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
EDD has a better supporting cast (than earlier years), but I wonder if they can keep it within 20.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i'd be shocked if maryland wins by less than 20. i think it would be interesting to see deleware's leading scorer be held to under 10 points and for maryland to win by 25+

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Terps by 1 at the half. Bad possession by Del.

Alyssa Thomas has 17. She's a stud.

EDD has 8. No open looks. No screens.

Del support players can shoot and dribble drive.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Md. had a 37-30 lead before an 8-0 run to put Del up one. The final bucket went to Md.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i can't believe the game is this close. no offense to Deleware, but aside from EDD, they are an average team. UCONN would beat them by about 30. i hope we get the chance in the NCAA's...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Maryland wins 85-76. EDD had 32 points, but only shot 2 -5 on 3's. I thought she would have to hit 8 -10 3's for Delaware to win. Still a good effort by Delaware. Have to question Maryland's defense.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maryland wins 85-76. EDD had 32 points, but only shot 2 -5 on 3's. I thought she would have to hit 8 -10 3's for Delaware to win. Still a good effort by Delaware. Have to question Maryland's defense.
She no longer shoots that many 3s in a game. Many more of her shots are taken inside the line and where she can draw fouls.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I know and she is going to the line more frequently. I thought she had to score 40 or more points for Delaware to win. To get that many points, I thought she would have to hit more 3's.

She no longer shoots that many 3s in a game. Many more of her shots are taken inside the line and where she can draw fouls.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it seems to be very hard to tell, but i have a hard time imagining that Deleware is a "top" team. i think the fact that it was a hard fought 9 point win speaks more to the weaknesses of Maryland than the strengths of Deleware. i guess it remains to be seen as Deleware won't face another tough team till the NCAA's, correct?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They have a far better cast around EDD this year (and they did beat PSU). That being said, like UConn, they have a hard time getting people to play'em.

I understand that people want to dismiss MD, but it's sorta like the "overrated" chat -- it also dismisses the Blue Hens. They're not just a one trick pony. They'll probably make it out of the first round of the NCAA (if healthy and conf. champs). Most teams wouldn't want to see'em in the second round.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When uncontested, EDD rarely missed. Barely hits the net on FTs. Got some blocks. Could be stronger. More later.

MD defense focused on EDD. Perhaps as a result, dribble penetration worked well. MD's colors are appropriate for matador defense.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Eric--I'm not sure what other evidence you need, but I guess that depends on your definition of "top." Delaware has beaten a good PSU team and just lost by 9pts on the home court of the #5 team in the country. Is a Delaware a great team? Probably not. But I think they deserve their #20 ranking, and when you have a great player like EDD, you always have a chance.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll join in. I'm not sure I would call Deleware a "top" team, but I am willing to accept that they are - for this season - one of the elite mid-majors.

I don't really think that there is any mid-major (not even Marist in recent years) that anyone is calling a "top" team. But they can have outstanding seasons and, like TJI, I expect Deleware can make the 2nd round and potentially scare their opponent there.

My one question would be supporting cast (I don't now the answer). When Stiles led Missouri State to the Final 4 there were 2 other really good players on the team. Not all-americans, but very good for the conference. Does Deleware have them?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maryland looked like a legit top 10 team, but not on s par with the top 4.

Thomas had 17 at the half and looked very good. Mincy and Barrett caught fire in the second half.

The Terps were sloppy in the first half, missing layups and commuting TOs. After the half, they hit a bunch of threes and got the crowd into the game. They also hit the offensive boards harder.

They are bigger, stronger, and faster than Delaware, but I'd say that Delaware played a little smarter. UDel's ranking looks about right. The supporting cast is decent, and EDD is very good. She was a little passive in the first half but more aggressive later. At halftime, I was thinking, nope, not the NPOY. After watching her drop 24 in the second half, I thought, hmm, maybe.

She did not get many open looks. One was a swish from 25'. She shot off balance too much for my taste. She is not as quick or strong as Maya. I saw no ball fakes to create space. But, oh my, she can shoot. 10-10 on FTs and grazed the rim about 4 times. She played pretty good defense, but got muscled. On a balanced team where she gets 1-on-1 defense, she is deadly. I would have lived to see her play with Maya. 195-0, bay-bee!

Comcast is very impressive other than the interior traffic flow. It seats 18,000. Tix were $10 fre reserved, 12th row on the baseline. Parking was FREE!

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Delaware against Wisconsin-Green Bay, now ESPN-ranked as 1 and 2 mid-majors. I loved Wisconsin Green Bay's game last year, and they still have Julie Wojta, who is a pretty darn good player.

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score Maryland's 3 main posts either fouled out or had 4 fouls. Maryland tends to rebound and run very well but if their best centers were all in foul trouble I could see why Delaware kept the game closer than I originally expected. There are 4 teams in the country better than everyone else but Maryland is probably right around 5-6. They started the season #10 just like a poster above thought was right, but if the teams ahead of them lose and they keep winning they will naturally go up. I don't see Maryland, Kentucky, UT or anyone else competing for that 5/6 slot beating the top 4 teams but someone has to occupy those spots.

Reaction Score
Delaware has two "high major" transfers (from WVU and Florida) in their starting line-up along with Delle Donne. They are not your ordinary mid-major in a lot of ways. They will be a tough out come tournament time. They have the single best offensive player in the country. They get her shots. Penn State is a team with a lot of firepower and Delle Donne was able to out-duel them. The PG that transferred from Florida made the SEC All-Freshman team when she was there. She can play. Anyone that overlooks Delaware is making a mistake. I know it's easy to dismiss them as not a "blue blood", but this year and next, they are legit. They should return their entire line-up next season.

I'll join in. I'm not sure I would call Deleware a "top" team, but I am willing to accept that they are - for this season - one of the elite mid-majors.

I don't really think that there is any mid-major (not even Marist in recent years) that anyone is calling a "top" team. But they can have outstanding seasons and, like TJI, I expect Deleware can make the 2nd round and potentially scare their opponent there.

My one question would be supporting cast (I don't now the answer). When Stiles led Missouri State to the Final 4 there were 2 other really good players on the team. Not all-americans, but very good for the conference. Does Deleware have them?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I will note that the night Delaware beat PSU Penn State had just lost Mia Nickson to a concussion from which she still hasn't returned. She was the starter replacing Trogele who was a huge loss on the boards and defensively. It was, also, at the height of the Sandusky chaos, although fortunately the game was on the road at Delaware. It is an excellent win for DE but in some ways this game with MD is stronger.

I am heading up to the game tonight to watch Penn State against Nebraska. I am hoping that Nickson will be back. As recently as finals week she was still suffering from headaches. She transferred from BC two years ago and is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom