Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's literal in the sense that the whole contiguous thing is written in their written down super duper official B1G bylaws. In that sense, it definitely isn't figurative.

I knew that. I just don't feel it is sacrosanct.

Reaction Score
I knew that. I just don't feel it is sacrosanct.

It probably could be rewritten. I don't think the are liking UConn enough to do that. It would be something if they took Maryland, Rutgers, UConn and Syracuse in one fell swoop.

Reaction Score
Wetzel nails it... This move doesn't make a whole bunch of sense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--maryland-s--rutgers--potential-move-to-big-ten-looms-as-risky-gamble-for-conference-17501209.html;_ylt=AqLPwQuBLdQcjkgU9vXK.6ILcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3[/quote]

Zooman, I think it makes as much sense as any other move made in the last 10 years. It's always been about money, which means facilities, coaches salaries, basic solvency, supporting other atheletic programs, name recognition . . . . Why not grab the eastern seaboard from DC to NYC when #1: it doesnt cost you anything, and #2, you actually turn a profit on the deal? The long term profitability of this move could range anywhere from small to gigantic, but no way does this move lose you money. Why not?

Reaction Score

Brand dilution. Possibly diluting the payout.

The first expansion moves made sense, but they have gotten progressively less sensible. They are making very meager gains at this point.

Reaction Score
Brand dilution. Possibly diluting the payout.

The first expansion moves made sense, but they have gotten progressively less sensible. They are making very meager gains at this point.

That's what I'm saying, I don't think you dilute the payout with this move. In fact, let me clarify: Delaney is such a money hog that I'm sure it has been studied to death, and they are going to make a lot of money. How much? Look at the demographics. A lot. More rubies than can be carried on the backs of one thousand camels!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree. This is a good money move. Also strategically it puts pressure on ND to reconsider its affiliation with the ACC. If the first domino falls, Maryland approves the switch, things get interesting. Rutgers will follow without hesitation.

The question does Delany try to court ND again or does he begin the process of destroying two conferences by courting Virginia (not a given to change conferences) and UConn who is already in Delaney pants?

If Maryland and Virginia both go to the Big10 then expect to see more defections from the ACC. This would be the final phase of creating the four super conferences.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well on one hand if the contiguous rule is an actual rule they're going to follow, it would mean they won't go after UNC or Georgia Tech... UVA OTOH would be contiguous with MD. I'm only saying this because of the possibility noted by Frank the Tank and others that the Big Ten might take an even number of ACC schools, and the ACC might decide to sit pat and UConn is duck*ed. But I would guess the ACC would still want to add UConn since their ESPN contract stipulates 14 schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ooooh... don't tell the rutties -

If that happens, does the ACC invite both UConn and Rutgers?

Don't tell us. That's awful for UConn. They can stay at 12.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i dont think so. the acc contract stays as is if they can keep 14 teams plus nd for other. if the acc wants to keep that they need to add to get back to 14 wether its 1 or 2 schools. if they choose to not add teams to get back to 14, then espn has the right to reopen the contract and pay less i asume. the acc would be stupid to not add right away from a $$ standpoint. but then again i can care less as i want tht conf to go down in flames.

Reaction Score
It's literal in the sense that the whole contiguous thing is written in their written down super duper official B1G bylaws. In that sense, it definitely isn't figurative.

It's not in the by-laws. Pretty sure that's a myth that was dispelled last year

Reaction Score
So you'd rather be in the NNBE instead of in a conference with duke, UNC, FSU, Va Tech, BC, Clemson, Cuse, Pitt, Wake, Miami, etc? Even if 75% of those schools left its still a better land to be in then where we are now

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i dont think so. the acc contract stays as is if they can keep 14 teams plus nd for other. if the acc wants to keep that they need to add to get back to 14 wether its 1 or 2 schools. if they choose to not add teams to get back to 14, then espn has the right to reopen the contract and pay less i asume. the acc would be stupid to not add right away from a $$ standpoint. but then again i can care less as i want tht conf to go down in flames.

You want it to go down in flames. Some of us see it as our most likely option. Maybe you are right and they go back to 14, but I'd rather not have to wait that decision out because Florida State doesn't want UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you'd rather be in the NNBE instead of in a conference with duke, UNC, FSU, Va Tech, BC, Clemson, Cuse, Pitt, Wake, Miami, etc? Even if 75% of those schools left its still a better land to be in then where we are now

No quite the opposite. If Georgia Tech leaves the ACC could stay at 12 leaving us in the Big East.

Reaction Score
No quite the opposite. If Georgia Tech leaves the ACC could stay at 12 leaving us in the Big East.

I think they want to be at 14. ESPN is paying them for 14/content.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You want it to go down in flames. Some of us see it as our most likely option. Maybe you are right and they go back to 14, but I'd rather not have to wait that decision out because Florida State doesn't want UConn.

yes i want flames when the time comes. eventually we are going to have 4 big boy confs with 16-20 teams per. each division of those 4 confs will get a playoff bid basically with 1st round of bcs playoffs being conf ship games. this is the super 64 to 80 teams breaking away in fball from the rest basically. the acc will not be in that.

i completely agree that right now we take a acc invite and go. but we dont go and be happy and go to sleep at night. we go with 1 thing in mind and thats to get this school to the next level(b10). we all know we would take a b10 invite and say yes asap. in the end of the acc years down the road, 2-4 private schools will be left out of the new power 4 in the end.

i can easily see this, its a mix of several things includings adding big markets, big fanbases with national apeal in markets, protecting turfs and betting on potentials.
b10+unc/uva/nd/uconn. you lock up several major markets and force nd with the conf being the best fit. you also kill off several privates competition wise.
sec+vt/ncst/fsu/clem. you get your new markets and you in the end protect valueable turf from b12. fsu and clem are worth enough to not hurt your wallet
b12+miami/pitt/gt/lville/cincy/usf/uh/wake or duke or cuse..you fill in to get to 18. basically take uh for market after atm left and then fill in a eastern division around wvu.
pac+byu/bsu/sdsu/unr...unlv/haw or others. you come to senses that byu for a tv grab viewer wise just is dumb to string along and not do, bsu is clearly the school on the rise. sdsu is a good market and upcomer. need to touch nevada. then 17 and 18 can be argued for ever. from davis to unlv who knows who cares as long as were already all set...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
yes i want flames when the time comes. eventually we are going to have 4 big boy confs with 16-20 teams per. each division of those 4 confs will get a playoff bid basically with 1st round of bcs playoffs being conf ship games. this is the super 64 to 80 teams breaking away in fball from the rest basically. the acc will not be in that.

i completely agree that right now we take a acc invite and go. but we dont go and be happy and go to sleep at night. we go with 1 thing in mind and thats to get this school to the next level(b10). we all know we would take a b10 invite and say yes asap. in the end of the acc years down the road, 2-4 private schools will be left out of the new power 4 in the end.

i can easily see this, its a mix of several things includings adding big markets, big fanbases with national apeal in markets, protecting turfs and betting on potentials.
b10+unc/uva/nd/uconn. you lock up several major markets and force nd with the conf being the best fit. you also kill off several privates competition wise.
sec+vt/ncst/fsu/clem. you get your new markets and you in the end protect valueable turf from b12. fsu and clem are worth enough to not hurt your wallet
b12+miami/pitt/gt/lville/cincy/usf/uh/wake or duke or cuse..you fill in to get to 18. basically take uh for market after atm left and then fill in a eastern division around wvu.
pac+byu/bsu/sdsu/unr...unlv/haw or others. you come to senses that byu for a tv grab viewer wise just is dumb to string along and not do, bsu is clearly the school on the rise. sdsu is a good market and upcomer. need to touch nevada. then 17 and 18 can be argued for ever. from davis to unlv who knows who cares as long as were already all set...

I can see 4 leagues with 16 teams - it's not that simple though. The people who run the schools do care about the appearance of being concerned with academics. The PAC-12's geography makes it tough for them to get to 16. As long as Texas isn't interested in joining there aren't schools for them to add. The Big 12 can't even find two suitable teams to get to 12 yet - maybe Maryland's departure changes the stance of Florida State - but I really don't see why.

As for some of your suggestions, I don't see why the Big 10 would want UConn without Rutgers. They would seem to be more valuable together than separate. Throw in the fact it looks like at least Maryland and either Georgia Tech or Rutgers is getting them to 14 this week. UNC is the king of the ACC. Trying to get them to leave is asking the Queen of England to depart for Spain for a few million dollars but instead of Queen it's to be a commoner. I don't see UNC going anywhere unless there were mass departures from the ACC and they had to make a move to survive.

Not sure why the SEC would want the secondary team from Florida and South Carolina. VPI and NCSU make sense in theory - and certainly there are people in both fanbases who think they should band together. I think that ignores the politics of a move - it isn't all that easy for NCSU or VPI to do things that would harm UNC and UVA.

BYU could join a league whenever they want. They care more about pushing their religion internationally than they do what conference they are in. The rest of the Pac 12 schools are never going to accept Boise or San Diego State or UNLV as full members. Hawaii is a nightmare - they bring nothing and add a ton in travel costs. No market, games are in the middle of the night, no one can recruit there.
Davis? UC-Davis playing Pac 12 football and basketball?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think they want to be at 14. ESPN is paying them for 14/content.

So you just pay the same per team rake for 12. If you don't have two schools you think are at least average in terms of television value why would you pay for 14 just for the sake of paying for 14.

Reaction Score
So you just pay the same per team rake for 12. If you don't have two schools you think are at least average in terms of television value why would you pay for 14 just for the sake of paying for 14.

It's probably not that simple. ESPN might see it as purchasing a number of games. It boils down to less games and they need to plug the hole with something.

Look, if they didn't want 14 then why did they go to 14 in the first place?

Reaction Score

Because the Commissioners make more money if total revenue goes up regardless of the per school split. And if you don't think that is a large part of what is driving the bus with expansion, you've never worked with "non-profit" organizations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because the Commissioners make more money if total revenue goes up regardless of the per school split. And if you don't think that is a large part of what is driving the bus with expansion, you've never worked with "non-profit" organizations.

Oh I don't doubt that - but the ACC office takes a full share - so if the rake is the same at 12 or 14 don't they get the same amount?

Reaction Score
Oh I don't doubt that - but the ACC office takes a full share - so if the rake is the same at 12 or 14 don't they get the same amount?

I think one of the details of the new BCS plan is that the major conferences are getting their shares based on numbers of teams. And certainly TV money goes up as you add teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom