Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The contiguous state clause perhaps. That's the only reason I can think of. Rutgers is dead weight the second they join the Big 10. They won't be able compete in football or basketball.

Football would be dead at Rutgers but they would actually compete better in hoops I think. The Big East has been a better basketball confernence than the Big Ten for years and years.

Reaction Score
Football would be dead at Rutgers but they would actually compete better in hoops I think. The Big East has been a better basketball confernence than the Big Ten for years and years.

It's better, but Rutgers isn't better than Big 10 hoops.

I just think it's strange that the Big 10 wants to expand again. They seem pretty complete to me.

Reaction Score
Why oh why would the B1G possibly choose Rutgers over UConn?
Just another instance of on field performance being completely ignored in favor of stadium seats and potential tv sets. Of course the AAU membership is also big here in RU's favor. This will still be the first prize rutgers ever wins though.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The contiguous state clause perhaps. That's the only reason I can think of. Rutgers is dead weight the second they join the Big 10. They won't be able compete in football or basketball.
It doesn't matter. They would bring every B1G team to NYC's doorstep.

Reaction Score

The Big 10 already has NYC. This move is redundant. They ALREADY recruit Maryland and NJ. It really doesn't give them something that they don't already have plenty of. And they dilute payouts... AND not many schools in the conference are crazy about playing them annually.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah, Wetzel's article makes a lot of sense. The thing that really is intriguing to me with this whole realignment thing is that if football drives the bus...the only conference that is really, really good is the SEC, and none of the others can make a move that would raise their profile unless it involved raiding the Big 12 for Texas. Anything else appears to be no more than a neutral move.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Wetzel's article makes a lot of sense. The thing that really is intriguing to me with this whole realignment thing is that if football drives the bus...the only conference that is really, really good is the SEC, and none of the others can make a move that would raise their profile unless it involved raiding the Big 12 for Texas. Anything else appears to be no more than a neutral move.

Everyone is making incremental gains now. The few big guns that have realigned are done, and unless FSU and Clemson defect, nobody can really foresee any other big shifts.

But I am all for being a beneficiary of other people's faulty decisions.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

How can anyone reach the conclusion that this realignment move has anything to do with football. Maryland lost to UConn, AT HOME, and is getting tuned up weekly now. Rutgers is....Rutgers.

Markets, markets, markets. It is the only thing that will save UConn. Of all the schools outside the Big 5, UConn is probably #2 in terms of market attractiveness, and #1 is BYU who is a total pain in the butt.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
How can anyone reach the conclusion that this realignment move has anything to do with football. Maryland lost to UConn, AT HOME, and is getting tuned up weekly now. Rutgers is....Rutgers.

Markets, markets, markets. It is the only thing that will save UConn. Of all the schools outside the Big 5, UConn is probably #2 in terms of market attractiveness, and #1 is BYU who is a total pain in the butt.

Right, so why choose Rutgers over UConn? The argument can be made that UConn in the B1G can tap into the NYC market as well as Rutgers can. Add in the fact that UConn can capture the NE market while Rutgers will be within the new footprint and unable to draw outside of the actual footprint.

Reaction Score
What if MD declines? Their regents are supposedly divided and will have a meeting on Monday. Does the B1G then go for RU and UConn? Or does the ACC make a countermove for RU?

If RU is invited to the Big Ten, no one in New Brunswick is even wasting time answering the phone when the ACC calls.

Reaction Score
Right, so why choose Rutgers over UConn? The argument can be made that UConn in the B1G can tap into the NYC market as well as Rutgers can. Add in the fact that UConn can capture the NE market while Rutgers will be within the new footprint and unable to draw outside of the actual footprint.
Market generally refers to the cable tv market, regardless of anyone actually watching the team in that market. Rutgers brings the NYC market as NJ is split between NYC and Philly. UConn brings the Hartford market. NJ alone has 8.8 million residents compared to 3.6 for CT. It's unfair and ridiculous that a population of fans and a school that has worked hard for success could be left out in favor of schools that suck in populations that don't care, but it's looking like the reality.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that people are surprised by Maryland moving. They've been wanting out of the ACC for at least 2 decades now, and have made that known plenty of times in the past. They not only have talked to the B10 over the last 2 decades, but back around 1990, they even talked to the BE.

Reaction Score

Rutgers would sell out Metlife when Michigan, PSU , Ohio St and perhaps MSU come to town. Heck, Syracuse did a decent job when they played USC there. Maybe someone took notice and thought 80K+ in Metlife would be a good show for the B10. There would be a lot of local NYC coverage.

Reaction Score
This will not happen, but my understanding is that the B1G wants to be contiguous, and so our only real chance of getting into the B1G would be if they took Maryland, Rutgers, and then Syracuse and us.

I don't think they want us or Syracuse...but, if you want TVs, you're getting NYC for real, then, and getting a larger footprint in New England. Living in Boston, most people don't care about college sports. But people care far more about UNC, Duke, UConn, and Syracuse (even PSU) here than BC.

And, if conferences ultimately go to 18 teams (which I think makes more sense than 16 since you can have mini-conferences of true round-robins in basketball and football more easily), it wouldn't be unreasonable for B1G to expand into UVa and UNC. Again, not going to happen, but conference realignment seems to find a way to make me want to post ideas...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Rutgers would sell out Metlife when Michigan, PSU , Ohio St and perhaps MSU come to town. Heck, Syracuse did a decent job when they played USC there. Maybe someone took notice and thought 80K+ in Metlife would be a good show for the B10. There would be a lot of local NYC coverage.

UConn would sell out MetLife with the first 3 of those teams as well.

Reaction Score
It's a lot easier to just accept that the B1G is not going to happen. Which may be a minor blessing in disguise.

The piece about the B1G wanting to remain contiguous is spot on.

This will not happen, but my understanding is that the B1G wants to be contiguous, and so our only real chance of getting into the B1G would be if they took Maryland, Rutgers, and then Syracuse and us.

I don't think they want us or Syracuse...but, if you want TVs, you're getting NYC for real, then, and getting a larger footprint in New England. Living in Boston, most people don't care about college sports. But people care far more about UNC, Duke, UConn, and Syracuse (even PSU) here than BC.

And, if conferences ultimately go to 18 teams (which I think makes more sense than 16 since you can have mini-conferences of true round-robins in basketball and football more easily), it wouldn't be unreasonable for B1G to expand into UVa and UNC. Again, not going to happen, but conference realignment seems to find a way to make me want to post ideas...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Market generally refers to the cable tv market, regardless of anyone actually watching the team in that market. Rutgers brings the NYC market as NJ is split between NYC and Philly. UConn brings the Hartford market. NJ alone has 8.8 million residents compared to 3.6 for CT. It's unfair and ridiculous that a population of fans and a school that has worked hard for success could be left out in favor of schools that suck in populations that don't care, but it's looking like the reality.
BS. We have a significant portion of our fanbase in the NY DMA, as well. We're better than them in nearly every sport, most by a very large margin. It's the contiguous thing.

Reaction Score
I don't think its a contiguous thing in the literal sense. If we had rivalries with their programs and were a bit more dominant in football they would probably have gone after us.

All the arguments about UConn's fanbase in the NY DMA (and Boston) are things Susan and WM should have been whispering to other university Presidents and ADs the past few months. We'll know soon enough if they were doing their jobs.

Reaction Score
I don't think its a contiguous thing in the literal sense. If we had rivalries with their programs and were a bit more dominant in football they would probably have gone after us.

All the arguments about UConn's fanbase in the NY DMA (and Boston) are things Susan and WM should have been whispering to other university Presidents and ADs the past few months. We'll know soon enough if they were doing their jobs.

Because if they did that then you 100% know we're getting an invite?

What we'll know in another few weeks is whether they accomplished what they wanted to -- not whether they were doing their job.

Reaction Score

It's literal in the sense that the whole contiguous thing is written in their written down super duper official B1G bylaws. In that sense, it definitely isn't figurative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom