Maryland Punished????? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland Punished?????

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You know ... where this 'punishment' idea falls down is with giving a bubble spot to Cal - the best OOC team Cal played was #102 Southern Miss, and their OOC SOS was 182 - they entered conference play at 12-0 playing no one in the top 100 RPI and 4 teams above 250, and went 6-12 in conference
Aside from the fact that Cal did score a key OOC win over Oklahoma, the real issue is that the committee is mainly looking for quality wins more than anything. It matters little whether they happen in or out of conference, as long as they happen somewhere.

Several teams were able to mitigate a weak SOS by pocketing wins over quality teams:
  • Cal's nonconference SOS was bad (#182) but its overall SOS was decent (#41), and, more importantly, Cal scored quality wins over Oklahoma, UCLA, and Oregon.
  • Another team among the last 4 in, Northern Iowa, had the reverse dynamic: a strong OOC SOS (#25) but a weak conference schedule (bringing down its overall SOS to a very weak #120). But what got UNI in the tournament was its wins over Creighton and K-State.
  • NC State had a pitiful OOC SOS ranking (#258) and a passable overall SOS (#66), but knocked off the four best teams in the ACC.
  • West Virginia had the worst nonconference SOS (#293) of any team in the RPI top 90, but ended with a #57 overall SOS and those high-dollar wins over Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma (twice), and Kansas State.
The central flaw in Maryland's resume is a lack of quality wins, more so than SOS. They narrowly beat Louisville but lost rather decisively to Ohio State, and then their next-best wins after that were over the bubble teams of the Big Ten. If Maryland had beaten Ohio State, they would've easily been a #2 seed, and if they'd found a way to beat UConn in December and go undefeated, they'd be a #1 and their weak schedule would be a complete non-issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey wait--that feels like a dis on Oregon State, not South Carolina (or Maryland).

Damn, thought I might sneak that one by you. :) Hey, I like Oregon State, and have watched them half a dozen times this year. Very good defense, but I just don't think they can muster the offense to beat the very top teams this season.

Reaction Score
Damn, thought I might sneak that one by you. :) Hey, I like Oregon State, and have watched them half a dozen times this year. Very good defense, but I just don't think they can muster the offense to beat the very top teams this season.

Looking at the brackets, I think the PAC-12 (including OSU) is set up to do some damage in the tournament this year! Don't count us out yet.

Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that Cal did score a key OOC win over Oklahoma, the real issue is that the committee is mainly looking for quality wins more than anything. It matters little whether they happen in or out of conference, as long as they happen somewhere.

Several teams were able to mitigate a weak SOS by pocketing wins over quality teams:
  • Cal's nonconference SOS was bad (#182) but its overall SOS was decent (#41), and, more importantly, Cal scored quality wins over Oklahoma, UCLA, and Oregon.
  • Another team among the last 4 in, Northern Iowa, had the reverse dynamic: a strong OOC SOS (#25) but a weak conference schedule (bringing down its overall SOS to a very weak #120). But what got UNI in the tournament was its wins over Creighton and K-State.
  • NC State had a pitiful OOC SOS ranking (#258) and a passable overall SOS (#66), but knocked off the four best teams in the ACC.
  • West Virginia had the worst nonconference SOS (#293) of any team in the RPI top 90, but ended with a #57 overall SOS and those high-dollar wins over Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma (twice), and Kansas State.
The central flaw in Maryland's resume is a lack of quality wins, more so than SOS. They narrowly beat Louisville but lost rather decisively to Ohio State, and then their next-best wins after that were over the bubble teams of the Big Ten. If Maryland had beaten Ohio State, they would've easily been a #2 seed, and if they'd found a way to beat UConn in December and go undefeated, they'd be a #1 and their weak schedule would be a complete non-issue.
This person gets it. You get an A+ for your post.

The thing I hated about the committee selections was the fact that conference play had no importance whatsoever. If all the committee cares about is quality wins and SOS all the super powers in WCBB need to schedule 8 games against each other. Maryland can go 6-12 like Cal did in conference and make the tournament as long as they get some quality wins. The committee this year was just pathetic. Cal really?

Reaction Score
Looking at the brackets, I think the PAC-12 (including OSU) is set up to do some damage in the tournament this year! Don't count us out yet.

Checking my bracket, I have Stanford losing to UCONN in the Finals. Washington losing to UCONN in the Semis. OSU losing to South Carolina in the regional final. UCLA and Oregon losing to UCONN. Cal losing to Baylor and ASU losing to South Carolina in the 2nd round.

Overall record of 20-7. That's pretty good damage. :)

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
IMHO, Maryland is the second-best team in the country. Better than Baylor, ND, or SC. Not by much, and not on every night, but that's what I think. So, I believe that both UCONN and Maryland got screwed.

Could it be that the committee didn't want UConn to win 5 in a row so they seeded Maryland a #3 with the hope they would take out Geno's gang? (I guess that I don't trust anyone these days.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Thanks - and I buy that somewhat until you look at the best wins for bubble teams and VA gets left in the cold when they beat FSU and Dayton which combined is better than UNI.

And my issue with the quality win scenario has always been: Very few teams in WCBB are consistent and almost every one of them throws a few absolute clunkers during the year. Even Uconn with its 100+ winning streak is not immune so is Tulane getting a bid if they score one more basket and Uconn misses one more? Or what about Alabama - they beat TN twice and Auburn and have a record of 19-13 - those three top 50 RPI wins are significantly better than UNI's?

Reaction Score
Jim Delany will probably attend the Elite Eight in Bridgeport as he did the men's basketball Elite Eight in MSG in 2014, when UConn played Michigan State.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
IMHO, Maryland is the second-best team in the country. Better than Baylor, ND, or SC. Not by much, and not on every night, but that's what I think. So, I believe that both UCONN and Maryland got screwed.

As for South Carolina, enough whining about travel. They're in the easiest regional, by far. Oregon State is the only competition, and if they can't handle them, SC doesn't belong in the Final Four.

With all due respect, @1-of-the-6 , I am not sure "screwed" is exactly the right word to describe UConn's "overall" situation, but I see your point as to certain parts where I can agree that UConn got screwed. Follow with me (in typical Cam fashion, I will take several paragraphs to post what others will say in two sentences):

-- Based on RPI/SOS, Maryland deserved the three seed. Even if Maryland were a two seed, the team would have been the lowest two seed and would still be playing in Bridgeport. With the lowest two seed comes the highest three seed, based on the S-Curve. So Duke and Maryland would both be there.

-- Based on the "eye" test (as Rebecca Lobo likes to discuss), however, Maryland looks to be one of the top three teams in the country? Why? Because of how the Terrapins have played UConn the past two years. Both games were incredibly competitive. As I recall, the game last year (think it was in MSG) was a five or six-point game with about one minute remaining - and that was against Stewart/Tuck/Jefferson. This year, MD-UConn was a very competitive game, with UConn pulling away with a large lead, only for Maryland (Slocum) to storm back. And Maryland-UConn was a much more competitive game than UConn-ND (which was VERY competitive in the first half, but not so much in the second half), UConn-SC (after either Gray or Davis missed free throws in the third, UConn went on a massive run), or UConn-Baylor (it seemed only Alexis Jones was not intimidated by UConn, but other players like Nina Davis were frustrated by the Huskies' defense).

-- But the "eye" test is not the only test. And this is the same Maryland team (as a #2 seed) that lost in the second round to Washington last year, in a home game.

-- I understand Maryland's placement and seeding. That being said, if the Committee were really looking at making the tournament the most competitive possible (and was using this a factor, like it does with attendance), UConn-MD should take place in the Final Four...or many in the championship game.

-- UConn has Duke in its bracket. Gail Goestenkors went 2-2 against Geno Auriemma while at Duke, winning both games in the State of Connecticut. Joanne P. McCallie is 0-8 against Geno (while at Duke) and her teams have only scored over 52 points in only one of those eight games while scoring in the 40s in five of the eight. Duke has allowed between 74 and 87 points in seven of the eight games. Duke has lost those eight games by an average of 29 points...notwithstanding the fact that Duke was ranked in the Top 10 for every single one of those games (and in the Top 5 for four of the eight). Not exactly "screwed."

-- UConn is playing its games at home (first and second rounds) and in Bridgeport (Sweet 16 and Elite Eight). Technically, Bridgeport is not a "home" site (not Hartford or Storrs), but Bridgeport has hosted NCAA women's games in 2004 (early rounds), 2006 (regional), 2008 (early rounds), 2012 (early rounds), 2013 (regional), 2016 (regional), and 2017 (regional) - with UConn playing there every single time. Three times in the last five years, UConn has played Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games in Bridgeport; no other school can make the same claim for location and amount of times at said location. UConn has a lot more familiarity with that location than any other program in the Bridgeport Regional. Getting "screwed" is a bit much when you factor in that UConn will not have to leave CT to make the Final Four for the third time in the last five years.

-- THAT BEING SAID, the placement of Syracuse in UConn's bracket as an 8 seed was shocking (to me, at least). While most of the RPI sites had Syracuse at 31, Sagarin had Syracuse at 21. Syracuse went 11-5 in the ACC, arguably the most competitive conference this year.

--- AND HERE IS WHERE I CONTRADICT MYSELF...Based on the "eye" test, I thought Syracuse rated higher than an 8 seed. This team made the Final Four last year and has two of the most electrifying players in the country. A good matchup zone can hurt the Orange (see their losses to Duke), but this is a team that can score and score quickly - Notre Dame was down by four points after three quarters before rallying to win by five at Syracuse, 85-80 - AND that was with Brianna Turner going 13-14 from the floor and finishing with 31 points.

While I cannot say, overall, that UConn got screwed given Maryland's resume and the location of the games (and the fact that Geno Auriemma beats Joanne P. McCallie's teams like a redheaded stepchild of a mule (pick a reference, combine them, they all work), the second round matchup against Syracuse I would agree is UConn getting "screwed."

Again, I am primarily a Duke fan (though have watched UConn for many years and have posted on the Boneyard since 2002). If I were primarily a fan of UConn, might I think UConn got screwed with Maryland? Quite possibly. Heck, I thought Duke got screwed in 2006 when as a #1 seed, had to play UConn in Bridgeport, even though the seedings/S Curve might have justified the matchup.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, @1-of-the-6 , I am not sure "screwed" is exactly the right word to describe UConn's "overall" situation, but I see your point as to certain parts where I can agree that UConn got screwed. Follow with me (in typical Cam fashion, I will take several paragraphs to post what others will say in two sentences):

-- Based on RPI/SOS, Maryland deserved the three seed. Even if Maryland were a two seed, the team would have been the lowest two seed and would still be playing in Bridgeport. With the lowest two seed comes the highest three seed, based on the S-Curve. So Duke and Maryland would both be there.

-- Based on the "eye" test (as Rebecca Lobo likes to discuss), however, Maryland looks to be one of the top three teams in the country? Why? Because of how the Terrapins have played UConn the past two years. Both games were incredibly competitive. As I recall, the game last year (think it was in MSG) was a five or six-point game with about one minute remaining - and that was against Stewart/Tuck/Jefferson. This year, MD-UConn was a very competitive game, with UConn pulling away with a large lead, only for Maryland (Slocum) to storm back. And Maryland-UConn was a much more competitive game than UConn-ND (which was VERY competitive in the first half, but not so much in the second half), UConn-SC (after either Gray or Davis missed free throws in the third, UConn went on a massive run), or UConn-Baylor (it seemed only Alexis Jones was not intimidated by UConn, but other players like Nina Davis were frustrated by the Huskies' defense).

-- But the "eye" test is not the only test. And this is the same Maryland team (as a #2 seed) that lost in the second round to Washington last year, in a home game.

-- I understand Maryland's placement and seeding. That being said, if the Committee were really looking at making the tournament the most competitive possible (and was using this a factor, like it does with attendance), UConn-MD should take place in the Final Four...or many in the championship game.

-- UConn has Duke in its bracket. Gail Goestenkors went 2-2 against Geno Auriemma while at Duke, winning both games in the State of Connecticut. Joanne P. McCallie is 0-8 against Geno (while at Duke) and her teams have only scored over 52 points in only one of those eight games while scoring in the 40s in five of the eight. Duke has allowed between 74 and 87 points in seven of the eight games. Duke has lost those eight games by an average of 29 points...notwithstanding the fact that Duke was ranked in the Top 10 for every single one of those games (and in the Top 5 for four of the eight). Not exactly "screwed."

-- UConn is playing its games at home (first and second rounds) and in Bridgeport (Sweet 16 and Elite Eight). Technically, Bridgeport is not a "home" site (not Hartford or Storrs), but Bridgeport has hosted NCAA women's games in 2004 (early rounds), 2006 (regional), 2008 (early rounds), 2012 (early rounds), 2013 (regional), 2016 (regional), and 2017 (regional) - with UConn playing there every single time. Three times in the last five years, UConn has played Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games in Bridgeport; no other school can make the same claim for location and amount of times at said location. UConn has a lot more familiarity with that location than any other program in the Bridgeport Regional. Getting "screwed" is a bit much when you factor in that UConn will not have to leave CT to make the Final Four for the third time in the last five years.

-- THAT BEING SAID, the placement of Syracuse in UConn's bracket as an 8 seed was shocking (to me, at least). While most of the RPI sites had Syracuse at 31, Sagarin had Syracuse at 21. Syracuse went 11-5 in the ACC, arguably the most competitive conference this year.

-- AND HERE IS WHERE I CONTRADICT MYSELF...Based on the "eye" test, I thought Syracuse rated higher than an 8 seed. This team made the Final Four last year and has two of the most electrifying players in the country. A good matchup zone can hurt the Orange (see their losses to Duke), but this is a team that can score and score quickly - Notre Dame was down by four points after three quarters before rallying to win by five at Syracuse, 85-80 - AND that was with Brianna Turner going 13-14 from the floor and finishing with 31 points.

While I cannot say, overall, that UConn got screwed given Maryland's resume and the location of the games (and the fact that Geno Auriemma beats Joanne P. McCallie's teams like a redheaded stepchild of a mule (pick a reference, combine them, they all work), the second round matchup against Syracuse I would agree is UConn getting "screwed."

Again, I am primarily a Duke fan (though have watched UConn for many years and have posted on the Boneyard since 2002). If I were primarily a fan of UConn, might I think UConn got screwed with Maryland? Quite possibly. Heck, I thought Duke got screwed in 2006 when as a #1 seed, had to play UConn in Bridgeport, even though the seedings/S Curve might have justified the matchup.

Nice try. I am not getting sucked in. :)

Reaction Score
Geno heaped praise on WVU at his recent press interview, referred to them as now being healthy. They did have a nice run in B12 Tourney with wins over Oklahoma, Texas and Baylor.

Before Maryland gets to UConn, they will likely need to beat WVU and then Duke.

I would not be surprised to see UConn v. WVU in the Elite 8.

Agree with those telling Frese to stop whining and that a 9 overall ranking is about right given their weak schedule. I do think, though, that WVU will play tougher than a typical 6 seed.
I'm not big on SOS when it comes to seeding. Certainly you want to put a challenging schedule in front of your kids so you have some idea of the competition come the tourney but there's too much statistical crap with RPI, SOS, etc. where there's too much room for contradictions and disputes on who lands where and who's in and who's not. As to UCONN and WVU - WVU puts a lot of its success on Martin so we'll see if this very talented kid can put her team on her shoulders as she did in the Big 12 tourney.

Reaction Score
Well thinking back to all the talk about an easy schedule and MD avoiding many top teams OOC because they had so many freshman and they get a 3 seed and the UConn region. Some UConn fans think its unfair for UConn I dont. I feel the committee might have felt if MD had gone to another region they might have won but in CT the chance was slim.

Think about this. First MD has WVa and thats not a cake walk. Could be a tuff game for MD. WVa has been playing well and is hitting their outside shots which will make MD have to come out and guard them. Next MD has UConn if they win at UConn. In our only meeting with MD we were up 19 at MD when all the fouls were called on UConn making them defensless and UConn still won by 6. Point is with all the pressure on and our lead diminishing quickly we found a way to win and not loose. Thats huge in itself. Now with that said MD has WVa and UConn. Thats a tall task. NCAA sending a message regarding OOC tuffness.

For me the reward of playing MD after we have already played them and we were in foul trouble and Lou was sick in a bucket and we still won and we have played them and we know them. I dont would rather be playing a team we are familiar with then a good team we havent faced. Yeah some UConn fans are concerned but not as concerned as Brenda MD and their fans. Heck we're UConn.

With all the talk about how Uconn could be beaten brings only one thing to my mind. Not so much UConn getting in foul trouble but a game called close where fouls are called that only a blind man would call. If they let them play UConn wins it all. If the refs get involved we could have a rocky road. With that said we've been through it before and came out with a win so I wouldnt worry to much.

Bottom foul trouble reduces the effectiveness of our defense and we win with defense. I expect CD and Butler to see minutes to avoid Collier and Williams getting into foul trouble. Also keep in mind. We score alot of points and many teams in the tourney dont and wont against UConns defense. Hey Im not saying we cant lose but I dont think we will for quite some time.

I know this is not a certainty--but usually the Refs are better and call those fouls we thought should have been called all year or they let both teams play---ND 's penchant to jump into defenders -hasn't worked well in the NCAA's

UWVa has been playing top BB--and it is not a gimme for MD--I too thought that as I saw the brackets.
Geno however has stated recently and in the past often--that he does not like playing the same teams he played all year in the NCAA;s they know too much about you. MD had to learn something while being beaten--unless they are arrogant enough to think that was their game all the way and lost on a fluke--
The thing to learn for MD in the loss to Uconn is to get Naphees and Gabby in foul trouble and hound KLS early and often--and attack the basket on both ends.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Checking my bracket, I have Stanford losing to UCONN in the Finals. Washington losing to UCONN in the Semis. OSU losing to South Carolina in the regional final. UCLA and Oregon losing to UCONN. Cal losing to Baylor and ASU losing to South Carolina in the 2nd round.

Overall record of 20-7. That's pretty good damage. :)
10-7 Oregon loses to Duke; UCLA loses to UConn; Cal loses to LSU; Wash loses to Baylor; OSU loses to FSU; ASU loses to MSU; Stanford loses to Texas.
The PAC12 top is not nearly as strong as SEC, ACC, BIg 12 or UConn. Thanks for coming but time to go home now...

Reaction Score
Geno heaped praise on WVU at his recent press interview, referred to them as now being healthy. They did have a nice run in B12 Tourney with wins over Oklahoma, Texas and Baylor.

Before Maryland gets to UConn, they will likely need to beat WVU and then Duke.

I would not be surprised to see UConn v. WVU in the Elite 8.

Agree with those telling Frese to stop whining and that a 9 overall ranking is about right given their weak schedule. I do think, though, that WVU will play tougher than a typical 6 seed.
To say WVUs winning was a nice run is kind of an understatement, dont you think? Actually, if you believe in momentum, you might be inclined to think they could beat Maryland. I think they have a decent chance, all things being equal.

Reaction Score
I would like WVU's chances against Maryland better if there wasn't that big time gap between the end of the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA's. When you are playing well (some would say above your head) and on a roll, you want to keep that going. Might be hard to keep that mojo going through a long layoff. Once the first round games are over, I will have a better feel for where the Mountaineers are mentally.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She wants her contract bonus for 30 wins. Most of the media and the fans do not notice that most of the wins are against teams outside of the top 100. Including teams ranked over 200. And again, teams that are win less in 4 years.
Do we/you know for certain that she has a win bonus for 30 wins or was that a gratuitous slap at Brenda?
PS I'm ok with it being the latter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would like WVU's chances against Maryland better if there wasn't that big time gap between the end of the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA's. When you are playing well (some would say above your head) and on a roll, you want to keep that going. Might be hard to keep that mojo going through a long layoff. Once the first round games are over, I will have a better feel for where the Mountaineers are mentally.
I just remember I hated playing WV in the BE when they were good - they were just a real pain in the neck to play - well coached and scrappy. We won, but it was never fun. Sort of like OSUw, they would ugly up the game and it would be like pulling teeth. If the two play, even if MD wins, I suspect it will not be a pleasant experience for them!

Reaction Score
@CamrnCrz1974

Cam no spitting match and obviously you need a decent forum to expound, welcome. PLEASE save your mercy for UConn in any way shape or form. I doubt there is a single fan that does not get the UConn mantra of anyone, anywhere, anytime... OK there are a few...;)
If a loss to Syracuse the second game in is our fate it is simply that, and not because we were screwed in any way shape or form. No team with any pride wants to take the back door to the NC trophy....OK there are a few...;)
At a place where every game sets a new record UConn is not about feeling bad with who is in their bracket. Save your sympathy for the whiners...:)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So in the regionals.... Do yall think they will have the Oregon-West Virginia game go first... or second?

Reaction Score
IMO, I Still don't see that UCONN "got screwed." Geno has told his team that they have to EARN IT...nothing going to be given to them. Yes, the bracket is "tough"... but the others are tough in their own ways too... that's how it's supposed to be when you get to this time of the season...top 64 teams. UCONN is overall #1... and that means they get the "lowest #2" and the "top #3"... and that played out to be Duke and MD... OK...Play it as it lies... Frankly, I think the others in Bridgeport Region have it worse...because they have to deal with the 1000 pound gorilla... UCONN!! and THEY know that when they step on the court. Geno says he doesn't like to play teams that they played during the season...i.e., MD... but think about it from MD's side of the equation. They had that Dec 29th game in THEIR House, in front of THEIR 17000+ fans, with Lou sick and Phe and Gabby in foul trouble. Everything was set up for them to win that game, but they did not get the job done. and THEY know that... and not in an "extra motivation" kind of way, but as in "do we have what it takes to beat them." We can assume MD will win against Bucknell... then they have to worry about playing WVU and Duke... before they even can think about UCONN. They know they didn't get the job done when it was set up for them... and neither Geno nor our Girls are going to let them take it from them during the National Championship Tournament!!! Just sayin' .... GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Technically, Bridgeport is not a "home" site (not Hartford or Storrs), but Bridgeport has hosted NCAA women's games in 2004 (early rounds), 2006 (regional), 2008 (early rounds), 2012 (early rounds), 2013 (regional), 2016 (regional), and 2017 (regional) - with UConn playing there every single time.
UConn has a contract with the Webster Bank Arena. It actually is home court for UConn. UConn does have a branch campus in Stamford, if you did not know. And the branch campuses here do not have their own athletic departments, at least so far. Except maybe Avery Point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom