Maryland is subpoenaing the world | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Maryland is subpoenaing the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nicky...I was a Marine o311 rifleman and then a Force Recon marine.

I was enlisted. Scuba and jump qualified, UDT trained at Coronado, jump trained at Ft. Benning by the army and small team airborne insert trained at Onslow Beach. And I ate Remington Raider office guys for breakfast.

I am no gentleman.

Nothing against New York taxi drivers, personally...I like Pakistani's as a rule.

Jacksonville, NC...my hometown. So you know Camp LeJeune very well. :)

When were you here?

Reaction Score
1965...1966 at Lejeune (back and forth from training at the Naval Underwater Swim School, Jump School at Benning, Underwater Beach Recon at Coronado, SERE school at Pickle Meadows.

Jacksonville, back then, locked up all of the local girls Friday afternoon until the am hours of Monday morning. We took liberty and headed to Myrtle Beach.

Reaction Score
1965...1966 at Lejeune (back and forth from training at the Naval Underwater Swim School, Jump School at Benning, Underwater Beach Recon at Coronado, SERE school at Pickle Meadows.

Jacksonville, back then, locked up all of the local girls Friday afternoon until the am hours of Monday morning. We took liberty and headed to Myrtle Beach.

I was three in '66...lol.

You would not recognise the place now. Heck, you would not have recognised it when I was in HS in the late 70s and early 80s. Now, its a city of about 70,000, and, growing like crazy.

They don't lock up the local girls anymore. Some of 'em even turned professional...haha.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The conspiracy theorist in me says they have something to hide.
Deadbeat is a little strong as the fee is excessive in total. I think/guess that they might have paid the fee had it been reasonable ($20M maybe), but of course that is me guessing with no facts or knowledge to back it up. I do agree they're alienating schools, but obviously they feel they're doing what they need to do to protect their financials. I think someone else referred to it as a game of chicken and obviously MD is trying to force the ACC to blink first. As someone with a mostly outside view of things, I pray this gets to trial because it will make for great TV.

Reaction Score
I get it quite well. The author if that linked article is as wacko as buckaineer. And buckaineer really does have serious deficiency in his cognitive reasoning skills. That's why they might be the same person. For some entertainment, why don't you read this same author's fantasies from 2012? Here you go: http://msn.foxsports.com/college-fo...age/the-acc-and-big-east-deathmatch-nears.php Fan Fiction is fun stuff sometimes.

Clay Travis is an SEC fan, a Tennessee Vol, I think. His views always are based on what he thinks is good for the SEC. A few years back, he said that the SEC needs to blow up the ACC to take Virginia and North Carolina.

As he hates ND, I am happy to see him revealed to be an utter fool.

Reaction Score
The conspiracy theorist in me says they have something to hide.
Deadbeat is a little strong as the fee is excessive in total. I think/guess that they might have paid the fee had it been reasonable ($20M maybe), but of course that is me guessing with no facts or knowledge to back it up. I do agree they're alienating schools, but obviously they feel they're doing what they need to do to protect their financials. I think someone else referred to it as a game of chicken and obviously MD is trying to force the ACC to blink first. As someone with a mostly outside view of things, I pray this gets to trial because it will make for great TV.

Notre Dame never reveals their funding sources or their contract amounts. Their NBC contract is not public. Their Under Armour contract is not public. For Maryland to subpoena this stuff is insulting and harassment. It quite frankly isn't any of Maryland's business. And Deadbeat isn't too strong. Maryland knew with precision the amount of the exit fee from the ACC well before deciding to join the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame never reveals their funding sources or their contract amounts. Their NBC contract is not public. Their Under Armour contract is not public. For Maryland to subpoena this stuff is insulting and harassment. It quite frankly isn't any of Maryland's business. And Deadbeat isn't too strong. Maryland knew with precision the amount of the exit fee from the ACC well before deciding to join the Big Ten.
They have to be doing something wrong if they are afraid to answer a few questions.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Why is it I have a hard time believing Maryland has to go to court to find out the intricacies of the ND/Under Armour contract? lol.

Reaction Score
They have to be doing something wrong if they are afraid to answer a few questions.

I have been a litigation attorney (commercial litigation, insurance defense, expropriations, etc..) for 27 years. Nobody gives up more in discovery than they have to, especially a non-party to the litigation that happens to be a private institution (like ND).

ND's attorneys filed the motion to quash the subpoena last month in the St. Joseph Circuit Court.

That is St. Joseph County, Indiana., the county were ND is located.

A state court in North Carolina has no subpoena power beyond the North Carolina borders.

To subpoena documents from a non-party to a lawsuit in another state, you have to issue letters rogatory to the other state court (in this case in St. Joseph County, Indiana) and have the court in that other state enforce (or not) the subpoena.

ND has a pretty good argument that the subpoena is a fishing expedition regarding a school that is not a party to the lawsuit, was not a member of the conference until eight months after the lawsuit was filed, asks for documents readily available from public or other sources and asks for documents that seem to be unrelated or not relevant to the ACC/Maryland lawsuit.

The broader the subpoena to a non-party, the especially a private entity, the more likely a court will consider it a fishing expedition and deny enforcement of the subpoena. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Maryland also knew with precision that the new exit fee was enacted in violation of the bylaws and punitive, and believes they are the one being harassed by the ACC. That's why this is in court. Any college president with half a backbone, an IQ over 75, is not a pathetic Swofford bootlicker, and wants to keep his/her job would have obviously fought this.

Reaction Score
Why is it I have a hard time believing Maryland has to go to court to find out the intricacies of the ND/Under Armour contract? lol.

You have to ask Maryland. It's their fishing expedition.

Reaction Score

You have to ask Maryland. It's their fishing expedition.
over your headg.jpg

Reaction Score
Maryland also knew with precision that the new exit fee was enacted in violation of the bylaws and punitive, and believes they are the one being harassed by the ACC. That's why this is in court. Any college president with half a backbone, an IQ over 75, is not a pathetic Swofford bootlicker, and wants to keep his/her job would have obviously fought this.

This is in court because Maryland publicly stated, or Dr. Wallace Loh to be precise stated, that he intended to be deadbeat. The Maryland CounterSuit is nonsense and a side show to try to force the original case to be settled.

Reaction Score
This is in court because Maryland publicly stated, or Dr. Wallace Loh to be precise stated, that he intended to be deadbeat. The Maryland CounterSuit is nonsense and a side show to try to force the original case to be settled.

This is in court because Swofford publicly intended to be a vindictive hypocrite and slimy rat. So we'll have to agree to disagree about this and see what the courts decide.

But my point was that if, for example, Virginia was in this position, Dr. Sullivan would have been in hot water again, this time for absolute stupidity, if she didn't fight the $50 million exit fee enacted contrary to the ACC bylaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom