Maryland Football: Baton Pass To Randy Edsall Could Not Have Gone Worse | The Boneyard

Maryland Football: Baton Pass To Randy Edsall Could Not Have Gone Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's obvious these articles were coming after MD's dismal loss to BC.
Ouch!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...e-gone-worse/2011/10/30/gIQAO7a2VM_story.html
Ouch! again
Randy Edsall now has a rebuilding project at Maryland
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-at-maryland/2011/10/28/gIQAAUTgPM_story.html

While trying to recruit the types of players he wants, Edsall also must attempt to improve his image with fans, who haven’t seen much to like yet.
Ouch! Ouch!
'Maryland falls to BC: ‘Ultimately, I am the guy who is responsible for this,’ Randy Edsall says
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...y-edsall-says/2011/10/29/gIQAqB7cTM_blog.html

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Schaudenfreude is fun.

“The frustration I have is what button, what word can I say to make some of these things turn around.”

Execution!

Reaction Score
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...ryland-preps-for-uva-20111031,0,3419975.story

Honeymoon for Edsall long over as Maryland preps for Virginia

"Labor Day seems a lifetime ago for Maryland football. The Terps opened Randy Edsall’s coaching tenure that evening with a 32-24 victory over Miami. Byrd Stadium was a near sellout, ESPN’s cameras were on hand, and Twitter overloaded with buzz about the team’s unique (charitable description) uniforms.

Maryland hasn’t beaten a Division I-A team since. Fans are staying away in droves, and Washington-area media are riding Edsall for everything from his quarterback choice to grooming code."

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I would be perfectly happy seeing Edsall getting fired, realizing how good he had it at UConn, and coming back to our program. I don't see Coach PP here very long, and Edsall obviously was doing something right at UConn. Maryland hates him, cause they want instant success. We know that Edsall can build a program and we have no choice but to be patient given our lack of football history, and I'm pretty sure most people would be happy to have him back. UConn is his dream job, he just didn't know it. With a new AD, and new Prez, Edsall might think about it. Never say never.

Reaction Score
No. As a huge apologista, I'll say never. He left voluntarily. You can't assume he'll have any success here and not leave voluntarily again. The bridge has been burned.

Reaction Score
No. As a huge apologista, I'll say never. He left voluntarily. You can't assume he'll have any success here and not leave voluntarily again. The bridge has been burned.

I was a big Edsall supporter, and agree with this.

This realignment nonsense, coupled with a lousy start, had people saying some pretty silly things.

Reaction Score
Edsall couldn't have picked a worse place for the next step in his career. Media unfriendly approach can work in college FB, but not smack dab between two major media markets where he can't control the message. Much more interest in Terps in Balt-Wash metroplex than BC has in Boston area.
Think RE deserves kudos for program building and he wouldn' t have gone 0-3 vs. Vandy, Iowa State and W. Mich, but it was time for a change here. Just like Md., it was screwed up. Need an President/AD w/contacts who can find the next James Franklin.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I would be perfectly happy seeing Edsall getting fired, realizing how good he had it at UConn, and coming back to our program. I don't see Coach PP here very long, and Edsall obviously was doing something right at UConn. Maryland hates him, cause they want instant success. We know that Edsall can build a program and we have no choice but to be patient given our lack of football history, and I'm pretty sure most people would be happy to have him back. UConn is his dream job, he just didn't know it. With a new AD, and new Prez, Edsall might think about it. Never say never.

You are SURE MOST people would be happy to have him back? Wow, so what he's doing at Maryland is just some big out of body experience and he is really Knute Bryant, just hasn't had a chance at ND or Alabama yet to show his real stuff! Boy, let me sign up for the "bring Randy back" band wagon.

Reaction Score
A big NEVER to Randy. But let's get someone who will breath some excitement into this program.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Think RE deserves kudos for program building and he wouldn' t have gone 0-3 vs. Vandy, Iowa State and W. Mich.

Yeah, he woulda. Why do you think he left like thief in the night?

Reaction Score
Yeah, he woulda. Why do you think he left like thief in the night?
Point taken. But one thing RE would NOT have done is pass on 3rd-and-9 at midfield with a 1-TD lead in middle of 4th quarter on road.

Reaction Score
You are SURE MOST people would be happy to have him back? Wow, so what he's doing at Maryland is just some big out of body experience and he is really Knute Bryant, just hasn't had a chance at ND or Alabama yet to show his real stuff! Boy, let me sign up for the "bring Randy back" band wagon.
Well, enjoy watching our ancient, outdated coach play the QB guessing game and losing to teams we should be beating. And good luck bringing in anyone remotely up and coming to a team in a league that is crumbling. Given the circumstances, find me a different coach (who would WANT to come to UConn at this point), that could jump in right away and have contacts in place already to start recruiting. I agree with others when they said he burned his bridge, but I think given the right situation, and assuming he turned this thing around fairly quickly, the majority of fans would welcome him back. That being said, I know it wont happen, so I don't need 50 post telling me I'm dreaming. In any case, I wouldn't mind seeing Hank get a shot. He knows the team more than anyone and you are NOT going to find anybody with a name to take the job. Give him a shot, we have nothing to lose. I'm already over the PP era and no, I'm not being short minded and reactionary. I can 100% guarantee you, Coach PP is NOT the right coach for UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looks like some of those in MD are on to him. Check out this comment discussing a classic Edsall technique:

"Using "ultimately" as a modifier is a cop-out. It's as if he saying that it's not really his fault, but since he is the coach he will take ultimate responsibility. It's like he doesn't want the actual blame laid at his feet, but he wants credit for taking responsibility. Cowardly garbage. "

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn's next FB coach will not be Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
Edsall thought the grass was greener.

He is a fool. And he is proving that he wasn't really a very good coach.

Reaction Score
Also I think Edsall needs to practice better eye discipline. That and he should dial back his 1950s beaver cleaver eagle scout act.

Reaction Score
...Given the circumstances, find me a different coach (who would WANT to come to UConn at this point), ...I'm already over the PP era and no, I'm not being short minded and reactionary. I can 100% guarantee you, Coach PP is NOT the right coach for UConn.

You're arguing a point not raised. Did not say coach P the guy, that's you arguing with yourself. I'm saying Edsall is NOT the guy. Didn't want to be here for several years, got his dream job, why would we want him if he failed at a middling ACC school.

I would suspect that coach P who hadn't coached in college for 6 or 7 years has better recruitng contacts than Edsall had after 11 years as a college coach at the same school the whole time.

So to ask your question to you, are you giving me Edsall as "...coach(who would WANT to come to Uconn at this point)." He couldn't get out of town fast enough, what would make him want to come back - (I'll give you a hint - failure at Maryland, no other job offers); so the best you think Uconn can do is getting back a coach who couldn't wait to get out of town, failed at his dream school and then wants back in at Uconn - WOW. Saying Edsall has recruiting contacts is like saying you're the tallest midget, he got out recruited by Temple.

I'm not a coach P guy, but hearing you agree with that and somewhere in the same bunch of brain cells you come up with "the taking Edsall back idea" as a good thing and that most fans would agree, makes me think I should reconsider my coach P evaluation.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The funny thing about Edsall is how themes built up over 10 years could be funneled into a stretch of 8 crappy games. How many times did he pull this crap at UConn (see quote below)?

"He should just stop talking about what could be better at Maryland, and utilize the available talent in the final five games."

Reaction Score
Edsall thought the grass was greener.

He is a fool. And he is proving that he wasn't really a very good coach.

How is that, exactly?

Because he is not doing well at Maryland means he wasn't a good coach at UCONN? Care to explain that one? Oof.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how many defect after the season at Maryland. I also expect a greater number than usual to leave UCONN.

Reaction Score
Our league and UConn's on life support and we are discussing RE?

He was a perfect fit for us. MD not so much. He made his bed and then sharted in it. Sucks to be him.

Unless he's gonna pay my hotel bill for the next week I could give a rats ass about him.

Reaction Score
How is that, exactly?

Because he is not doing well at Maryland means he wasn't a good coach at UCONN? Care to explain that one? Oof.

Wasn't a VERY good coach. You fire a conference coach of the year winner who wasn't boinking the AD's wife and you better bring in a VERY good coach. If Edsall flames out at Maryland, not VERY good coach. As he said, "I didn't get stupid all of a sudden"; so I'll take him at his word, he's as good at Maryland as he was at Uconn. Maybe at Uconn the 50% league win record was good enough, don't think will be at Maryland. A VERY good coach would pull a Beamer of VT at Uconn or Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom