Maryland Football: Baton Pass To Randy Edsall Could Not Have Gone Worse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland Football: Baton Pass To Randy Edsall Could Not Have Gone Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsall did a good job a UConn, but Edsall only brought one coach with him to Maryland which is a huge red flag. In college football, and even pro football, this does not happen. One of his greatest assets at UConn was coaching continuity as all of the coaches were on the same page.

Reaction Score
Yes, in the missionary position with the lights off . . .
LOL. I heard he went straight to confession afterwards and then ate a bowl of wheetabix. No milk.

Reaction Score
Our league and UConn's on life support and we are discussing RE?

He was a perfect fit for us. MD not so much. He made his bed and then sharted in it. Sucks to be him.

Unless he's gonna pay my hotel bill for the next week I could give a rats ass about him.

Let's say your girlfriend dumps you. You're single and lonely and nobody really seems to have much interest you.

But that girl who dumped you? Turns out her new boyfriend gave her herpes.

You tellin' me you don't get a little joy outta that? ;)

Reaction Score
Let's say your girlfriend dumps you. You're single and lonely and nobody really seems to have much interest you.

But that girl who dumped you? Turns out her new boyfriend gave her herpes.

You tellin' me you don't get a little joy outta that? ;)

A man after my own heart!

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how many defect after the season at Maryland. I also expect a greater number than usual to leave UCONN.

If only Danny O'Brien knew someone we had on staff as a coach with connections to UMd .....

Reaction Score
Edsall served his purpose here and brought us as far as he was going to, but it was time for a change. PP unfortunately was not the right choice. Randy to come back? God no!

Reaction Score
i think people are a little too quick to dump on P. so far let's look at what we know about him. his recruiting in unquestionably better than what we previously had. obviously we won't know if the kids are good for 3 years, but he's winning head to head battles against other BCS schools, including a lot of big name ones. he's also gotten kids from some really good programs that Edsall was never able to crack. not bad considering he's been here less than a year. Edsall brought in the occasional kid with another late BCS offer, but for the most part we were losing head to head battles against schools like Temple, and always Rutgers (did he ever get a common target to choose us?).

on the field his results have been mediocre, but i wouldn't say horrible. WVU and Pitt aside, all of the games we lost were close, and in reality the WVU game was very close for the most part. when you consider that Bonislawski would probably be the hands down starter at QB this year, i really don't know what else people expected. obviously we hoped for better, but it's unrealistic to expect a team with no QB to win the conference, especially considering Edsall left our RB cupboard pretty bare (i still don't understand how he never did better attracting RBs). having no QB is one thing when you have 2000 yards of RBs on the team, but we don't this year. that being said i like McCombs a lot, but he's not Todman last year, or Brown 3 years ago, or Dixon/Todman 2 years ago.

Reaction Score
Part 2
anyone that's ready to bail on him already either has ridiculous expectations or is incredibly impatient IMO. the idea that we should fire any coach after one year is downright moronic. besides having to pay his contract, we'll never attract a decent coach if they have to worry about being fired after one year of not having total, instant success.

the 1800 character limit is ridiculous. could someone either change this or at least explain to me why it's necessary?

Reaction Score
Part 2
anyone that's ready to bail on him already either has ridiculous expectations or is incredibly impatient IMO. the idea that we should fire any coach after one year is downright moronic. besides having to pay his contract, we'll never attract a decent coach if they have to worry about being fired after one year of not having total, instant success.

the 1800 character limit is ridiculous. could someone either change this or at least explain to me why it's necessary?

You don't find any indication of bad coaching for someone who has coached for 40 years? Disorganized substitutions, defense not set against hurry up, LB's covering wide receivers, no one covering TE's/RB on pass patterns, sticking with JMc at QB, only using one RB. This team has played very poorly, answer is it it "addressable" by further practice. No reason to give up over 400 yards passing to so many teams, just bad coaching. After the 1st time Pitt receiver ran underneath open should have addressed.

There is no way this offense can play against pressure, especially as the field gets smaller into the red zone. Defenders can sell out to cover short passes and WR's 1st move and rushers have no need to protect against a moving QB; only screens and draws will keep them honest and harder to do on shorter field. I put this on coach selecting a QB that can't actually do it (which is initially ok, Cassell at USC couldn't beat out Leinart but the latter actually played ok) but more importantly, then in spite of all the proof to the contrary, sticks with him.

Reaction Score
not all of those mistakes lay at P's feet. some lay at Don Brown's or DeLeone's. we knew going into this season that there would be a lot of changes defensively and we were warned repeatedly by MD fans that there was a rough transition year, but then by year 2 they were in love with him. i think a lot of the coverage mistakes could be attributed to that.

i would like to see McCummings more, but we've been told repeatedly that he doesn't know the full playbook, and if that's the case he shouldn't play more. you say playing JMac is a fault of P's, but we've seen nothing to lead us to believe we have a better option, other than the limited plays of McCummings, and if he really only knows those plays, what else can you do with him? and say what you can about McEntee, he's done about as well as any of our other QBs since DanO

Reaction Score
something else to consider is because of being hired so late PP kept all of RE staff that he could in order to retain the recruiting class. so this year not only does he have someone elses players he has someone elses coaches teaching his system.

-We dont have a BCS qb and for the most part we dont have BCS caliber WRs how can you expect to have a BCS caliber offense when we cant threat to pass? He is only playing 1 rb because that is all he has. If you didnt follow UCONN this offseason we Jordan Todman and Robbie Frey left. DJ is too hurt to play JJL hasnt looked good and if you saw Foxx on kickoff return he cant follow his blocking. I played a little rb in high school maybe I should play, I might be our next best option.

-On defense its plain and simple our Lbs arent athletic enough they cant cover the pass and actually neither can our safeties. Ive said this before but the coaches have to run their own system despite having someone elses players. You need to find out which players can play your system so the ones that cant can hit the road and you can bring in someone that can. I know this isnt popular with many posters here but this is what it is going to take to be successful as a program down the road.

Reaction Score
You don't find any indication of bad coaching for someone who has coached for 40 years? Disorganized substitutions, defense not set against hurry up, LB's covering wide receivers, no one covering TE's/RB on pass patterns, sticking with JMc at QB, only using one RB. This team has played very poorly, answer is it it "addressable" by further practice. No reason to give up over 400 yards passing to so many teams, just bad coaching. After the 1st time Pitt receiver ran underneath open should have addressed.

There is no way this offense can play against pressure, especially as the field gets smaller into the red zone. Defenders can sell out to cover short passes and WR's 1st move and rushers have no need to protect against a moving QB; only screens and draws will keep them honest and harder to do on shorter field. I put this on coach selecting a QB that can't actually do it (which is initially ok, Cassell at USC couldn't beat out Leinart but the latter actually played ok) but more importantly, then in spite of all the proof to the contrary, sticks with him.

Gee - this guy must fit into that unrealistic expecations group. Installing a completely 100% different defensive system and philosophy as well as not one, not two, but THREE different offenses - in 8 months, with a bunch of college age guys taht can only practice a certain number of hours a week with their coaches, and you know - at UCONN at least, actually have to honor the STUDENT part of pbeing a student athlete as well as being a football player?

I bet this character writing this critique has a trophy case full of championships - NOT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our league and UConn's on life support and we are discussing RE?

Some of us can handle more than one topic at a time, art. Don't be jealous. The brain is a muscle, you can develop it with practice.

Reaction Score
Seems like Maryland fans don't understand the difference between criticizing and coach and wanting fired either. That's something 99% of the Apologistas could never grasp either.

Reaction Score
Seems like Maryland fans don't understand the difference between criticizing and coach and wanting fired either. That's something 99% of the Apologistas could never grasp either.

i don't remember any "apologists" ever saying you can't criticize the coach, in fact most of us had plenty of gripes with Edsall. personally i wish he blitzed more on 3rd down and wish he had more success recruiting head to head against BCS (and even non-BCS) schools. the difference was we realized he did a good job overall, and were realistic about what we expected him to accomplish. the bashers thought we should fire him so we could hire Urban Meyer or some other ridiculous candidate

Reaction Score
I predict 4 years from now Coach P will be a successful head coach at UConn and UConn will be in the top 25. Edsall, if he is still at Maryland, will be coaching a team that is about as good as UConn was last year - not in the top 25. Edsall will never coach UConn again.

Call me crazy, but I would be perfectly happy seeing Edsall getting fired, realizing how good he had it at UConn, and coming back to our program. I don't see Coach PP here very long, and Edsall obviously was doing something right at UConn. Maryland hates him, cause they want instant success. We know that Edsall can build a program and we have no choice but to be patient given our lack of football history, and I'm pretty sure most people would be happy to have him back. UConn is his dream job, he just didn't know it. With a new AD, and new Prez, Edsall might think about it. Never say never.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Card carrying apologista: I hated when Edsall had blood in the water he didn't go for the kill. I hated settling for 3 all the time. I hated dominating the first quarter and being up 3-0, or the first half and being up 10-3.

Reaction Score
Gee - this guy must fit into that unrealistic expecations group. Installing a completely 100% different defensive system and philosophy as well as not one, not two, but THREE different offenses - in 8 months, with a bunch of college age guys taht can only practice a certain number of hours a week with their coaches, and you know - at UCONN at least, actually have to honor the STUDENT part of pbeing a student athlete as well as being a football player?

I bet this character writing this critique has a trophy case full of championships - NOT.

No, but then I'm sure you haven't had anything to say about the guy in the White House as how much time have you spent as President. There is no such thing as a 100% different system of anything. All defenses require you to tackle, take care of your responsibility and move to the ball. Coaches job to get players into schemes they can make work. This is no longer new, this is going on the 9th game. Defensive players against Pitt were out of position and played soft, they were actually walking and jogging to the play, this is on the coaches.
So Syracuse offense tears up WV defense and Uconn not because JMc is stumbling around as he has to learn 3 new offenses? Not sure how you get to 3 but who chose getting to all those offenses, the current coach. I don't see anything at all complicated about either the JMc package of plays (I sure hope he isn''t trying to learn the SMc wild husky package as Maria Conlon would be better at it than JMc) or the SMc wild husky package. For JMc he either hands off or have WR run out 5 yards and turn around for a pass and hope the QB hasn't fallen down; how hard is that to master?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom