Martin Needs to be starting on Tuesday. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Martin Needs to be starting on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is more skilled Shonn Miller. He doesn’t play the same way as Miller but he has the same impact in terms of both stats and intangibles as Shonn did. A do your job, grab your lunch pail and put on a hard hat type of dude. Every successful team needs that.

Reaction Score
He is more skilled Shonn Miller. He doesn’t play the same way as Miller but he has the same impact in terms of both stats and intangibles as Shonn did. A do your job, grab your lunch pail and put on a hard hat type of dude. Every successful team needs that.
I’ll be thrilled if that’s the case but I feel like you’re underselling how good Miller was.

Reaction Score
I’ll be thrilled if that’s the case but I feel like you’re underselling how good Miller was.

I don’t say it as a slight on Miller whatsoever. That’s more of lofty expectations for Martin...

Reaction Score
Hes not a good shooter but can be streaky. Hes also not the best finisher around the rim as i saw him miss a lot of bunnies the few games i saw him play. Hes a really good passer, defender and rebounder and doesnt make a lot of mistakes. If he can be what i saw for us he will be great for this team and will start.
That first jump shot looked pretty. And how bout that smooth lefty finish on the break late in second half when him and Whalley sealed the game with that 30 second sequence? -he should definitely be starting over polley very soon -if not next game

Reaction Score
Martin is a 3 not a 4.
Like it or not he is a stretch 4 on this team and clearly better equipped to play the position than polley.

Hurley said polley was going to be important as a stretch 4 this summer but I never bought it just because he put on a few lbs. rebounding isn’t just about weight. But if Martin can consistently rebound like he did tonight that would be huge until akok comes back.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Needs to be starting on Tuesday.

Rebounds well. Good decision-making tonight. Strong at the rim, defends. Even better passing than I expected from him--that was a new development.

If he can shoot a decesnt % from 3 he should be our 4 all year.

I knew nothing about Martin before tonight’s game but he’s definitely an upgrade!!!
get this dude into the starting lineup!!!
Gaffney needs to come off the bench and spell Cole.

Reaction Score
Had Martin been suspended for this game we may not have won. I'm serious. Hartford almost caught us but Martin's production stopped them in their tracks. Polley may be rusty but when his offense isn't on, he seems to fade not doing anything else.

Martin was doing all the 'other' things to contribute to our victory, rebounding, passing the ball, being patient, shooting good shots, etc. Most importantly he looked confident actually matching Bouk's confidence. He may emerge as our 2nd scorer if the reports about his game are accurate.

Its only one game, but his experience was on display. No nerves and a quiet assurance. He should be in before Brandan next game, especially if we during droughts.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Needs to be starting on Tuesday.

Rebounds well. Good decision-making tonight. Strong at the rim, defends. Even better passing than I expected from him--that was a new development.

If he can shoot a decesnt % from 3 he should be our 4 all year.
I agree. He looked smooth, relaxed. Knows the game. Going to get interesting since it's DH's guy. I agree.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Polley isn't making (or in tonight's case even taking) shots there's no reason for him to start over Martin
This. Polley isn’t even a consistent shooter. If he’s not making threes he brings nothing. Once akok is back Martin should move to the three

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Had Martin been suspended for this game we may not have won. I'm serious. Hartford almost caught us but Martin's production stopped them in their tracks. Polley may be rusty but when his offense isn't on, he seems to fade not doing anything else.

Martin was doing all the 'other' things to contribute to our victory, rebounding, passing the ball, being patient, shooting good shots, etc. Most importantly he looked confident actually matching Bouk's confidence. He may emerge as our 2nd scorer if the reports about his game are accurate.

Its only one game, but his experience was on display. No nerves and a quiet assurance. He should be in before Brandan next game, especially if we during droughts.

he’s not rusty, that’s been his game his whole career.

Reaction Score
He might but this was his first game back. I still think the 4 is Akok Akok's position when he comes back with Martin backing him up there. It really looks like Polley and Carlton won't see much time this year.
I keep seeing a lot of people say this, but we may want to temper expectations considering the type of injury Akok is coming back from.

Really hoping to be wrong here, but I’m wondering if it will take until next season for Akok to be back at 100%.

Reaction Score
Team hasn’t had enough work in yet Which is understandable. Cole and Martin from their previous association and experience have Hurley’s trust and will get crunch time. Once Polley gets untracked from 3 watch out.

Reaction Score
I watched every URI game available online for free. He was definitely not a good passer--in fact he was pretty bad. Huge news of hes added that to his game!

I saw all the home ones live and almost every other on TV. He was the poster child for the New Fast Break where "guy dribbling out on the break = guy who shoots it"...

Reaction Score
Seems very mature and dependable (like a solid grad transfer except we get him for 2 years).

Reaction Score
we need more andre jackson

this is a older team, c’mon

Reaction Score

Martin was solid. However, it was Bouk, Gaff, and Whaley that were responsible for the win. Everyone else had negligible or no impact on the outcome of the game. This includes Martin.

I have no problem if Tyrese starts in place of Cole. That would be fine. Polley is legit and makes the right plays. Let's see how everyone does next week against Vandy and NC State.

PS: I have no idea how anyone could watch the game and say that Cole deserves more minutes. Put some respect on Gaffney's name. Gaff totally outplayed RJ. The dude is a builder and has no ego. Great guy. Polley and Whaley are the same. AJacks is in the same mold.

PS: The world is full of people who do things, and people who take credit for the work of others. Gaff was balling and others are getting the credit. Stop it.

#BIGEASTGAFF

C

Chief00

Polley is a 6’9” shooter coming off an ACL. He’ll improve dramatically with PT and patience. Endurance and explosiveness and regaining aggression take time.
I agree, when we play the better teams, we will need 3 point shooting to keep up. Can Polley deliver after his ACL? I have no idea, but at least he has the potential to deliver.

Reaction Score
Martin was solid. However, it was Bouk, Gaff, and Whaley that were responsible for the win. Everyone else had negligible or no impact on the outcome of the game. This includes Martin.

I have no problem if Tyrese starts in place of Cole. That would be fine. Polley is legit and makes the right plays. Let's see how everyone does next week against Vandy and NC State.

PS: I have no idea how anyone could watch the game and say that Cole deserves more minutes. Put some respect on Gaffney's name. Gaff totally outplayed RJ. The dude is a builder and has no ego. Great guy. Polley and Whaley are the same. AJacks is in the same mold.

PS: The world is full of people who do things, and people who take credit for the work of others. Gaff was balling and others are getting the credit. Stop it.

#BIGEASTGAFF
Totally agree. Gaff not getting nearly enough credit for his efficiency and overall level of play

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt starts a very traditional lineup of 2 guards, a wing, and 2 post players. I don’t know if this is the best matchup to start either Polley or Martin. Seems like a good spot to start Sanogo over Polley and move Whaley over.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Polley is a 6’9” shooter coming off an ACL. He’ll improve dramatically with PT and patience. Endurance and explosiveness and regaining aggression take time.
Even prior to the injury he would regularly have games like last night where he just disappeared. I do like playing him alongside 3 guard lineups though because he helps with spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom