Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember the UCONN Providence game I went to in Providence where they scored 6 points in the first half... and I thought that was impressive... but to hold Marquette scoreless for 15 minutes... and the entire 4th quarter... WOW.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*This was an epic defensive game by UConn. They all seemed like Hungry Huskies out there.
*Paige: UConn's PG-SG-SF-PF and Center :). It is such a pleasure to watch her play. A generational player with the personality to boot. An absolutely masterpiece of a game by her. That 3-pointer to finish the 3rd quarter with 0.2 on the clock with Carlin's hand in her face was beyond ridicules.
*Ice: I'm sure other were concerned just as me, that she'll collect fouls and won't be able to play much in the game. Was a nice surprise to see her play efficient 40 min. and not foul out. it is amazing for me that a player who basically plays only 12-15 min. per game can be so good for 40 min. with this kind of game pressure knowing that there is no one on the bench to sub for her. Loved her last basket of the game. Textbook move.
Nika: had a real good defensive game. Her jump shot when UConn couldn't score for some minutes towards the end of the 3rd quarter was perfect timing.
*Shade: the energizer bunny. improved a lot on defense and love her mid-range pull up jump shot.
*KK: a demon on defense. less effective on offense in this game but an important cog to anything UConn wil do for the rest of this season.
*Q: really like her contributions in this game. Seemed less confused on defense and shot when needed.
*Hope that Marquette gets an invite to the NCAA. They are a solid team that today were just overwhelmed by the intensity and quality of UConn's defense.
*IMO this was one of the best games ever that UConn played on defense. I don't think I've ever seen a game in this level where a team can't score for 15 min.
*On to the finals! i'm concerned about the physicality of Georgetown so i hope the refs will call them for fouls when they try to stop Paige by grabbing, pushing etc.
You could tell Marquette was gassed from the villanova game. That was also a very physical defensive effort. Hope they get in the tournament as well.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope everyone saw Shade frequently position players on the court and call the switches on screens.
I think that Ashlynn was gassed by the 4th quarter. She took two short jump shots that were short, one of which was an airball. Despite her impressive physical conditioning, I think two games in two days where she plays the entire game is a new experience for her. I hope she is OK by tomorrow evening.

The box score shows that she and Ice were the only two players that played a full 40 minutes against Marquette.

Reaction Score
Not arguing -- just a question -- doesn't even need to be answered but Marquette full-knowing they are on the bubble, why would they come out flat knowing UCONN was shorthanded while fighting for their NCAA lives, while having more players available to play?
hoophuskie- - IMHO I don't think Marquette CAME OUT flat but early on realized that UConn was in a zone and there was no reckoning with them today! These CT girls reached deep inside for their 2002 UConn Huskies impression!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The team is all heart.
Paige Bueckers is just one-of-a-kind. The 3-ponter she hit - when she took it- I felt the shot had as good of a chanxce as any other 3 she takes-- because it's Paige.

And two of her passes she made -- just Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Very impressive effort on defense all day long. Even the shots Marquette made seemed like really tough shots and UConn did a good job of limiting them to one shot per trip down the floor. Paige has that ability to elevate her game to what ever it needs to be to win and that is something you don't see too often at any level of sport.

My question is will Ice be able to walk today? She hasn't played too much this year and that was a tough 40 minutes she put in today. She played under control for the most part and showed growth in her maturity during the game. I noticed a couple of times where she started to make a reach or a push but pulled back before it became a foul. She really did play a very nice game.

Holding Marquette scoreless for the last quarter and a half was simply amazing. Geno was right saying it was great defense and bad shooting but mostly the defense. Win today and they should get the seed opposite SC which did look a little human this weekend.

Reaction Score
That was one of the most impressive wins and performances I have seen… by any team or player. I’m still thinking about it! Paige was all world, not all American yesterday. Her blocks, rebounds, steals and n fouls set her apart from her peers. Her offensive performance was her orchestrating her team, and Marquette. She didn’t take a shot the second quarter, setting up the younger players. She knows exactly when to strike.

that defensive performance was… no words can explain. For that team to apply defensive pressure ALL game was amazing.. Ice showed the nay sayers who she is. it was a team effort but that darn Paige… what can you say.

Reaction Score
The team is all heart.
Paige Bueckers is just one-of-a-kind. The 3-ponter she hit - when she took it- I felt the shot had as good of a chanxce as any other 3 she takes-- because it's Paige.

And two of her passes she made -- just Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes that one pass to Ice with multiple defenders was crazy!! Just needed ice to finish at the rim ;-)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very impressive effort on defense all day long. Even the shots Marquette made seemed like really tough shots and UConn did a good job of limiting them to one shot per trip down the floor. Paige has that ability to elevate her game to what ever it needs to be to win and that is something you don't see too often at any level of sport.

My question is will Ice be able to walk today? She hasn't played too much this year and that was a tough 40 minutes she put in today. She played under control for the most part and showed growth in her maturity during the game. I noticed a couple of times where she started to make a reach or a push but pulled back before it became a foul. She really did play a very nice game.

Holding Marquette scoreless for the last quarter and a half was simply amazing. Geno was right saying it was great defense and bad shooting but mostly the defense. Win today and they should get the seed opposite SC which did look a little human this weekend.
It is a tremendous advantage to have the tourney played where it is played. Ice can spent the day in our training facilities on restorative treatments. I do think that she got such validation out of yesterday's game that she'll be inspired to play her heart out against G'town.

Reaction Score
I hope that if the old mask was burned in effigy, that AE will be fitted for a new one once the swelling goes down (somewhat) on Tuesday, so she will be ready to rock for the NCAA tourney. It appears that ICE "has got this" vs. G-Town.

So happy for her [Ice] on her performance today for ALL 40 minutes! It was special when she got to the "Bigs Scrum" with all our fantastic ones not able to play today!!!

Go Huskies!! Win the BE Championship tomorrow!!!
When thrown into a river, the option one has is to sink or swim. And swimming is the choice of survival. Yesterday’s game (again) proved to Ice that she’s very capable, skillful, and talented enough to swim, along with her teammates. Great job by her and the rest of the gang. Eat, rest up, and prep for Georgetown today! You Huskies got this!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Stats oddity:

Nobody on UConn shot even one free throw except:

Paige 2-4
Ice 3-6

Marquette had just one player shoot foul shots...Karlen.

2-2.
Best officiated game in the Big East's tournament so far. Hopefully these same officials do the title game. They allowed play but didn't let it get into a basketbrawl game, like the officials of our game against Providence and the Creighton - Georgetown game. Those three officials need glasses or have some remedial training on how to recognize a foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom