Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I asked this earlier, but does anyone know if UConn has ever pitched a shut out in a quarter in a playoff game.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • In my 30 years as a passionate fan of UConn WBB, I have never been prouder of any Husky team than I was today.
  • Against a talented and experienced Marquette team, UConn suited up just 7 healthy players, 4 of whom were basically freshmen, with a 5th a seldom used sophomore. Add in that UConn had almost no size and there should have been no reasonable expectation that the Huskies could prevail……unless you measure the size of their hearts.
  • UConn has played strong defense all season. But to win the game today, the Huskies had to take their defensive effort to a whole new level, which they did holding Marquette to only 29 pts on 22% shooting.
  • With Paige getting doubled all over the court, other players had to pick up the scoring, and the Huskies got just enough from Paige’s supporting cast to get the win.
  • Yesterday Geno was asked about relying so much on the freshmen. He was philosophical, suggesting, “When you know you’re not going to get pulled after a mistake, because there’s nobody else to put in, you tend to just go out and play.”
  • Ice had the weight of the world on her shoulders today. I was concerned she would be gassed playing so many minutes in place of Aaliyah. During her 40 minutes of PT :eek:, Ice never once slacked off, giving everything she had in her best effort of the year.
  • Yes, we have Paige and they don’t!!! Paige has now played pretty much every position on the floor, including jumping center for the 1st time in her college career, even winning the opening tip. When she hit that highlight reel shot at the end of the 3rd qtr, it was basically GAME OVER!!! It sounds impossible, but Paige played two games today: her game and Aaliyah's game. Paige's unbelievable stat line today: 27 points (11/16), 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks, 0 turnovers, 0 fouls. :):cool::rolleyes::D:eek:
  • I suspect that we won’t see Aaliyah on the court again tomorrow, and I’m sure the UConn players are exhausted after an incredible effort today. But I would never bet against this team! :cool:
Outstanding post

Reaction Score
"ICE" BRADY is so "COOL". On interview: "I felt very confident out there" but "those
media timeouts REALLY helped!" 40 minutes of a steady "ICE" COOL Performance!
At the end of the (radio) interview ICE admitted: (I need) " a good night's sleep ".
Pleasant Dreams, ICE.... Get ready for tomorrow!! GO ICE!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
5F9D4DD4-3134-4685-A3A5-50C3E700A530.jpeg

Reaction Score
I was at the game and the energy was off the charts. Talking to people before the game the consensus was that if AE wasn’t playing it would be understandable if we just barely won (or even, gasp, lost!). But I’ll tell you what, this might be one of the best games I’ve ever seen in terms of pure grit and hustle. Our D was SUFFOCATING from start to finish. We didn’t foul much, we didn’t turn it over much. The freshman played fantastic — with special mention to Ice for REALLY stepping it up and being so clutch.

To hold Marquette to only 29 points total is beyond impressive, considering our very short bench and having to play so many freshmen as starters. Just an unbelievable performance.

Also Paige was absolutely lights out. And Nika played some of the most lockdown, solid D I’ve ever seen her play.

What else can I say??? Boy am I glad to be a fan of this team. :D

Reaction Score
So... IMHO this is one of the most impressive wins of the season. I know Paige was other-worldly, but I thought Ice was just tremendous playing as many minutes as she did, and doing it very well. Really impressive. And our defense - holy carp! Marquette scored under 10 points in 3 of the quarters.

AND... they held Marquette to 0 in Q4. Not sure I've ever seen that before.
  • Paige was NPOY Paige. 27 points and 12 boards, not to mention 4 blocks. What a post player LOL...
  • Ice - Geno said in the post-game interview that they have been frustrated with Ice knowing how good she can be, but she has "grown up a lot the last 2 games". Very proud of her.
  • Ash and Nika did Ash and Nika things. Some really good defense. Lots of help side rotations
  • Felt bad for KK. 3 fouls early on, then in the 2nd half, made a mistake on a shot clock violation, and was yanked. Was in tears on the bench. Hoped that when she went back in to replace Nika, she'd really do some good things for her confidence, but not so much.
Bottom line a great game in every way.
It’s all part of the learning process, and I believe she’ll be okay. She’s a tough cookie.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I didn't know what to expect with Aaliyah out. Now I and I beleive everybody else knows.

I don't think I have every seen, at least this season, such a dominant defensive game by one team. Marquette was shut off at every turn. Shots were contested. Passing lanes were not there. A lot of errant passes forced. I mean hold a team to 22% shooting for the game. You could see at the start of the 3rd quarter, we were in the heads and they were frustrated. AND, holding them scoreless the entire 4th quarter. We all know Marquette is a very good and well coached team. Amazing.

Start with Paige. OMG - is there anything she can't do???? She shot 11 - 16. How efficient can you get? A POY performance!!

Ice - what a game she played - all 40 minutes. Her defense down low completely limited Karlan and any other player near the basket. Hands up, sliding her feet to get in good position . You couldn't ask for more. And 10 points and 5 boards.

Everybody contributed to this win.

Either Creighton or Seton Hall - bring it on!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I will say that after yesterday’s game, like all times at tournament games, someone from UConn staff stay and watch the after game to scout our next opponent and yesterday it was CD and Tanya and I kept seeing CD writing furious notes and she stayed the whole game so laud her game plan scheme she worked out with the other coaches and the execution by the players. Waiting to see who will scout the Creighton-Georgetown game as they announce the starting lineups.

Good job CD and Tanya!

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • In my 30 years as a passionate fan of UConn WBB, I have never been prouder of any Husky team than I was today.
  • Against a talented and experienced Marquette team, UConn suited up just 7 healthy players, 4 of whom were basically freshmen, with a 5th a seldom used sophomore. Add in that UConn had almost no size and there should have been no reasonable expectation that the Huskies could prevail……unless you measure the size of their hearts.
  • UConn has played strong defense all season. But to win the game today, the Huskies had to take their defensive effort to a whole new level, which they did holding Marquette to only 29 pts on 22% shooting.
  • With Paige getting doubled all over the court, other players had to pick up the scoring, and the Huskies got just enough from Paige’s supporting cast to get the win.
  • Yesterday Geno was asked about relying so much on the freshmen. He was philosophical, suggesting, “When you know you’re not going to get pulled after a mistake, because there’s nobody else to put in, you tend to just go out and play.”
  • Ice had the weight of the world on her shoulders today. I was concerned she would be gassed playing so many minutes in place of Aaliyah. During her 40 minutes of PT :eek:, Ice never once slacked off, giving everything she had in her best effort of the year.
  • Yes, we have Paige and they don’t!!! Paige has now played pretty much every position on the floor, including jumping center for the 1st time in her college career, even winning the opening tip. When she hit that highlight reel shot at the end of the 3rd qtr, it was basically GAME OVER!!! It sounds impossible, but Paige played two games today: her game and Aaliyah's game. Paige's unbelievable stat line today: 27 points (11/16), 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks, 0 turnovers, 0 fouls. :):cool::rolleyes::D:eek:
  • I suspect that we won’t see Aaliyah on the court again tomorrow, and I’m sure the UConn players are exhausted after an incredible effort today. But I would never bet against this team! :cool:
So agree
Amazing ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member